sony PS3, is it any good as a standalone player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sony PS3, is it any good as a standalone player?

diggity
01-22-2008, 12:04 AM
hello there, i am wondering if i can get some feedback on the sony PS3. plenty has been said about it video quality, but i am wondering about its sound quality.

flashback time:

i own the xbox360 at the moment and don't think much of its picture quality, but it was the sound quality of the xbox i found really sucked! lacked the oomph of the proper dvd player i found. so i thought to myself: "i'll buy the sony bdps1 blu ray player! i have 1080p panasonic 50", so i'll get the best of both worlds.... or so i thought. cant complain about its sound or picture reproduction but it takes a hell of a long time to load.

so i thought if the PS3 can produce good sound quality i'll move player to philips 1080p lcd and buy PS3 for the pana.

any feedback will be appreciated. sorry for the long boring post

cheers: dazza

captjamo
01-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Hey Dazza, I have a PS3 for Bluray movie playback primarily. Other than running warm and having a pretty loud fan when it is really warming up (not a problem if you have good cooling/ventilation) the PS3 is an excellent standalone. I have the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music Hal BD and the PS3 decodes True HD and Master Audio uncompressed audio formats and the sound is incredible. Best economically too, because here you have to pay around 700.00 dollars for a standalone BD player that has the ability to decode the new lossless audio formats (if that is not important to you then buy one of Sony's less expensive BD players but if it is important 'watch out' because Sony cut these formats out of the cheaper players to save money). With PS3 for around 500.00 you get the new audio formats, excellent video, an HT central multifunctional piece, and great gaming to complete the package. I love the PS3 which is doing very well now in sales numbers so it will most likely become a thoroughly supported device well into the future. I have only had mine a few months but it has run perfectly so far. No problems and I love Call of Duty 4 too. Yup-cheers

bobsticks
01-22-2008, 05:09 AM
... but i am wondering about its sound quality.
dazza

How are the DACs in your receiver? The PS3 runs a digital output, either optical or hdmi, so the analog conversion will be done in your receiver/prepro. I've heard it in several configurations and can tell you it's very system dependent.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Captjamo...... you said it runs warm..... since I watch a lot of movies, with no intention of playing games, should I be worried about over-heating? How long during a single sitting do you typically watch/play it?

GMichael
01-22-2008, 06:43 AM
I have used mine for hours and hours at a time and have never even heard the fan kick in. I have it on top with nothing around it though.
But you'll need an HDMI system for it to upscale and use the latest sound fields. I am using component cables for video and optical for audio. It still seems very good to me.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 08:04 AM
But you'll need an HDMI system for it to upscale and use the latest sound fields

O.K. since I'm pretty ignorant on the whole thing, here's my connection question. My current DVD player is connected to my Receiver via Fiber Optics for sound, and direct to the T.V. via Component for video. If Video/resolution is my main concern, here's the question.

A) do I connect fiber optic to receiver as I did before for sound, and HDMI to T.V. for video?

B) to get the 720p max resolution can I do this with component, and don't need the HDMI at all?

C) without HDMI in/outs on my receiver, I'm just wasting my time getting Blu-Ray now because I won't be able to run sound through my speakers?

thanks! and as always... sorry I'm an idiot!

GMichael
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
O.K. since I'm pretty ignorant on the whole thing, here's my connection question. My current DVD player is connected to my Receiver via Fiber Optics for sound, and direct to the T.V. via Component for video. If Video/resolution is my main concern, here's the question.

I'll do the best I can. If I screw up someone will correct me.

A) do I connect fiber optic to receiver as I did before for sound, and HDMI to T.V. for video?

Yes, this would be my choice. This will let it upscale std def DVD's as well as pass BR at it's best.

B) to get the 720p max resolution can I do this with component, and don't need the HDMI at all?

You can. I do. But it won't upscale std DVD's. I'd go with the HDMI to the TV.

C) without HDMI in/outs on my receiver, I'm just wasting my time getting Blu-Ray now because I won't be able to run sound through my speakers?

The optical cable will still give you great sound. It won't be the newest 7.1 sorround fields that are available, but it will pass 5.1 to your AVR the same way your current system does. Your AVR can still create a "fake" 7.1 for you if you prefer it. Mine does this fine. It will work good until I/you get a new HDMI AVR.

thanks! and as always... sorry I'm an idiot!

You are welcome.
You are not an idiot. An idiot would not come here and ask questions before the purchase. An idiot would go buy what the Salesperson told them, and then come here and tell us how much better their system is than ours.:mad2:

L.J.
01-22-2008, 08:18 AM
a. yes
b. yes, you can even pick up PS2 component cables that will work on the PS3 - but you do need HDMI to upscale DVD
c. no - you can use optical output to your current AVR and still be able to enjoy BR at a higher bitrate than DVD.

I've had my PS3 for over a year and have never had any problems with heat or anything else. Sometimes I have it on all day......maybe even 8 - 10 hours sometimes.

I used component to TV and optical to AVR for about the first 9 months until I got an AVR with that accepted mc pcm via HDMI(v1.1 or up).

Wait, GM go there first I see.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
thank you both!!!! So it sounds like I need to get a PS3, and HDMI cable. Connect the HDMI to the T.V. and run the Fiber Optics for the sound to the receiver.

Appreciate the help!!!

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
There's are article in today's supplement to the Dallas Morning News titled:

"Sony's PS3 struggles to catch up to PS2"

Stats for final December U.S. sales:

Nintendo: 1.35 million Wii's sold
XBOX: 1.26 million 360's sold
PS2: 1.1 million consoles sold
PS3: 798,000 consoles soldSo it looks to me like the majority of Americans are still buying consoles for their original intention... gaming. The article goes on to say that Sony is still struggling to break even on the PS3, and the PS2 remains by far the company's most successful console.

But it's also an indictment of the PS3, and a painful reminder that Sony has, so far, managed to disregard every lesson it should have learned from it's past two consoles

Two points: This is just one reviewer's opinion, and Sony had better hope that the drawing to a close of the format war will prop up PS3 sales.

Me? I'll stick to PC gaming, and eventually buy a Panasonic BD player. :ihih:

GMichael
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
There's are article in today's supplement to the Dallas Morning News titled:

"Sony's PS3 struggles to catch up to PS2"

Stats for final December U.S. sales:

Nintendo: 1.35 million Wii's sold
XBOX: 1.26 million 360's sold
PS2: 1.1 million consoles sold
PS3: 798,000 consoles soldSo it looks to me like the majority of Americans are still buying consoles for their original intention... gaming. The article goes on to say that Sony is still struggling to break even on the PS3, and the PS2 remains by far the company's most successful console.

Two points: This is just one reviewer's opinion, and Sony had better hope that the drawing to a close of the format war will prop up PS3 sales.

Me? I'll stick to PC gaming, and eventually buy a Panasonic BD player. :ihih:

Pssst.. Rich.. Come're.

He wants to use it as a BR player.

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Pssst... G. I know. Just trying to be the devil's advocate. :biggrin5:

Edit: And I really had to pee too!!!

L.J.
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Rumor is that there could be another price drop for the PS3 coming. As a gaming system, there IS some catching up to do. But the PS3 is hard to beat when used at it's full potential. The BR capabilities alone are worth it.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
well..... I know the 5 free DVD offer ends Jan 31st, so something else might happen after that, but I'm not waiting!!!! I want a Blu-Ray player, and I want it NOW!!!

DOOOOOOOOOON'T CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRE HOOOOOOWWWWWW

I WANT IT NOW!!!!

(My sweet sweet little Veruca Salt)

GMichael
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Rumor is that there could be another price drop for the PS3 coming. As a gaming system, there IS some catching up to do. But the PS3 is hard to beat when used at it's full potential. The BR capabilities alone are worth it.

I think that's just on the 40GB. (as far as I've read)
The 40GB and two games of your choice. (some good ones available too)
All for the same price as they charge for the 40 & one movie now.

Don't know when it starts or if the 80 will get a bundle also or not.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
hmmm The story I read didn't mention details, but the 40 gig is fine for me (I'll deal without the SACD capability I guess) heck.... I'll pick one up this weekend..... a lot happens from the car, to the check-out line, so we'll see what I end up with!

GMichael
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't expect it to levitate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=981801

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Y'all missed a great opportunity to award me a red chicklet. Shame on you!

GMichael
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Y'all?

Dude, you're from Jersey.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Ya'll is southern Ohio round these parts.... :)

diggity
01-23-2008, 02:37 AM
hmmm interesting. the gaming side of PS3 isnt a big deal to me, but i do like COD 4, neither is SACD functionality because we don't have much choice in this format down under. but by the sounds of it the PS3 isn't that bad. the amp i have is the yamaha rxv-2700 (not that good compared to some others i have seen in this review i know, but hey i am new to this) so i am thinking using HDMI straight to it, is that what you guys would do?

also, should i wait for the 80Gb to be released? are there any special features it has got over the 40Gb version? will they change their mind and bring out the levitating option?

thanks for all the help so far dudes!

P.S i thought all yanks said " y'all" haha

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Y'all?

Dude, you're from Jersey.
When in Rome...

I spelled it right diggity. :biggrin5:

johnny p
01-23-2008, 05:12 AM
should i wait for the 80Gb to be released?

if the 80gb isn't released in Australia yet (I didn't know it wasn't) the only advantage I could find was the 80gb had SACD, played all PS2 games, and I think it might have more/a USB slot on the back, but the 40gb is still bluetooth/wi-fi so it's not a big deal to me.

By all means, no need to wait!

GMichael
01-23-2008, 05:55 AM
It almost seems that denials like this are the same as an admission of fact. We'll see.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9329

L.J.
01-23-2008, 07:55 AM
hmmm interesting. the gaming side of PS3 isnt a big deal to me, but i do like COD 4, neither is SACD functionality because we don't have much choice in this format down under. but by the sounds of it the PS3 isn't that bad. the amp i have is the yamaha rxv-2700 (not that good compared to some others i have seen in this review i know, but hey i am new to this) so i am thinking using HDMI straight to it, is that what you guys would do?

also, should i wait for the 80Gb to be released? are there any special features it has got over the 40Gb version? will they change their mind and bring out the levitating option?

P.S i thought all yanks said " y'all" haha

Hey I have the 2700 and I think it's a great unit :arf: Maybe not the "best" but this is a solid unit....well made, plenty of flexibility, excellent sound for HT and really good with music. Do a comparison to the 3800 and you'll see, besides the HD audio decoding, there's no difference. The units are almost identical. I saved major $$$$ going with this, instead of a newer model :incazzato: .........JK

Anyways, yes, run HDMI directly from your PS3 to your 2700. The PS3 does the HD audio decoding and sends the pcm signal via HDMI to your 2700.

GMichael
01-23-2008, 08:13 AM
hmmm interesting. the gaming side of PS3 isn't a big deal to me, but I do like COD 4, neither is SACD functionality because we don't have much choice in this format down under. but by the sounds of it the PS3 isn't that bad. the amp I have is the Yamaha rxv-2700 (not that good compared to some others I have seen in this review I know, but hey I am new to this) so I am thinking using HDMI straight to it, is that what you guys would do?

also, should I wait for the 80Gb to be released? are there any special features it has got over the 40Gb version? will they change their mind and bring out the levitating option?

P.S I thought all yanks said " y'all" haha

The 80 has 90% backward compatibility compared to 0% from the 40.
The 80 plays SACD's & the 40 does not.
The 80 has 4 USB ports instead of 2.
The 40 is missing some kind of memory port (that I don't use anyhow).

Not sure how much any of this means to you. It's your money.

Funny how the rest of the world views the US vs how we do internally.
To you, we are all Yanks.
To us, only the northeast gets called Yanks by the southern states.
Y'all is a non-word that is used mostly in our southern states.
Tex is from Jersey. He's a Yank through and through. It's funny to me to see him use Y'all. But now that he lives in the south, he's trying to fit in. Actually, it's hard not to start talking like the people around you. I spent two weeks in Nashville and it took me months to stop saying Y'all.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Do you have any idea GM how hard people laugh at me when I say yous?

Ironic ain't it?

I say wuter, they say woter...

GMichael
01-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Do you have any idea GM how hard people laugh at me when I say yous?

Ironic ain't it?

I say wuter, they say woter...

Yous?

How you doin'?

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Careful, Markw might smack you!

GMichael
01-23-2008, 08:57 AM
He's too nice to do that.

johnny p
01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
"the two utes yer honor"

bobsticks
01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I spent two weeks in Nashville and it took me months to stop saying Y'all.

Almost a decade ago I spent less than a year in Dallas and still say "Y'all". Not only do I say it, sometimes I type it as well.

diggity
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Funny how the rest of the world views the US vs how we do internally.
To you, we are all Yanks.
To us, only the northeast gets called Yanks by the southern states.
Y'all is a non-word that is used mostly in our southern states.
Tex is from Jersey. He's a Yank through and through. It's funny to me to see him use Y'all. But now that he lives in the south, he's trying to fit in. Actually, it's hard not to start talking like the people around you. I spent two weeks in Nashville and it took me months to stop saying Y'all.

wow, now that is interesting! i thought "yous" all say y'all. is using the term Yanks offensive? if so i am sorry and wont say it again.(or type it i should say (type)). actually people reckon the colloquialisms we use in australia are very similar to northern america. two terms however that come to mind that differs HUGELY here compared to there. firstly "rooting for your team" means something very different here and lastly the term "fanny" differs greatly as well. both of these terms here are generally not recommended for children. haha

anyway back to the question, sony hasn't released the 80gb version yet down under. the backwards compatibility would be a bonus. interestingly, just before they released the 40gb unit, sony australia made all retailers return all the 60gb units back to them. needless to say alot of consumers were a bit upset at not being able to play their old games. some stores actually managed to keep the old 60gb unit and prices went up from $999AU to $1299AU.

i read somewhere in this forum that most people in US brought ps3 as a blu ray player, not so here. it has been marketed primarily as a game console rarely is the fact it is a player been even mentioned. alot of the average joe public dont even know of the blu ray capabilities!

sorry for the long post but thought it was interesting to state some differences i have observed from us to you

GMichael
01-24-2008, 07:41 AM
wow, now that is interesting! i thought "yous" all say y'all. is using the term Yanks offensive? if so i am sorry and wont say it again.(or type it i should say (type)). actually people reckon the colloquialisms we use in australia are very similar to northern america. two terms however that come to mind that differs HUGELY here compared to there. firstly "rooting for your team" means something very different here and lastly the term "fanny" differs greatly as well. both of these terms here are generally not recommended for children. haha

anyway back to the question, sony hasn't released the 80gb version yet down under. the backwards compatibility would be a bonus. interestingly, just before they released the 40gb unit, sony australia made all retailers return all the 60gb units back to them. needless to say alot of consumers were a bit upset at not being able to play their old games. some stores actually managed to keep the old 60gb unit and prices went up from $999AU to $1299AU.

i read somewhere in this forum that most people in US brought ps3 as a blu ray player, not so here. it has been marketed primarily as a game console rarely is the fact it is a player been even mentioned. alot of the average joe public dont even know of the blu ray capabilities!

sorry for the long post but thought it was interesting to state some differences i have observed from us to you

I don't get offended by the term Yank.

They pulled back all the 60's huh? Where do they plan to sell them? I'm sure they won't just toss them out.

Yeah, the PS3 does a nice job playing BR.

diggity
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
they sent them back to sony japan, apparently.

johnny p
01-25-2008, 05:42 AM
interesting, since the 80gb are getting phased out here.... hmmm

diggity
01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
yeah i couldn't be bothered waiting for the "wobble heads" at sony to make up their mind, so i may just go out and buy the 40Gb unit. i suppose i can just buy external hard drive if i want more memory.

cheers dazza

bobsticks
01-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Coming soon: Sony Playstation 3 meets Microsoft 7...

diggity
01-27-2008, 04:36 AM
just an update guys: just splurged on the 40gb PS3 version and am very happy with it. picture sound just as good as my BDPS1 but loads faster which is what i wanted.

so thanx for everyones help it was invaluable, the only problem is this web site is costing me alot.new B&W fronts and PS3 since i joined so thanx :biggrin5:

cheers: dazza and thanx and again for all the help so far with everything A/V

diggity
01-27-2008, 04:38 AM
interesting, since the 80gb are getting phased out here.... hmmm

word is they are skipping the 80gb unit here and going straight to a 100+gb unit. 160gb perhaps?

captjamo
01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
My PS3 is in a 42" entertainment piece. I had to take the back panel off to reduce heat. But it works fine for long periods. Fan gets going pretty good sometimes but no problems so far.

f0rge
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
i've also had good results with my PS3 as a dvd/bd player, looks good and sounds nice, does a nice job of upscaling too.

x360, even with the hd-dvd player cant compete for movies

i'm also running a 50inch 1080p panny

johnny p
01-30-2008, 01:35 PM
just an update guys: just splurged on the 40gb PS3 version and am very happy with it. picture sound just as good as my BDPS1 but loads faster which is what i wanted.

so thanx for everyones help it was invaluable, the only problem is this web site is costing me alot.new B&W fronts and PS3 since i joined so thanx :biggrin5:

cheers: dazza and thanx and again for all the help so far with everything A/V

HA!

Since Joining this site maybe 3 months ago....... I've purchased the B&W 705s, The HTM7, the 686's for the rears, A PS3, and now I'm looking into a new ROTEL receiver, and a new Sub (found one... but haven't linked it up here yet to get anyone's opinion..... I listened to one, it sounded good, but I don't know the brand personally.... sorry I digress)

Not to mention the stands I had to buy for the mains are worth more than my old speakers!!!!!!!

f0rge
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
HA!

Since Joining this site maybe 3 months ago....... I've purchased the B&W 705s, The HTM7, the 686's for the rears, A PS3, and now I'm looking into a new ROTEL receiver, and a new Sub (found one... but haven't linked it up here yet to get anyone's opinion..... I listened to one, it sounded good, but I don't know the brand personally.... sorry I digress)

Not to mention the stands I had to buy for the mains are worth more than my old speakers!!!!!!!

i also think you need a bigger TV.

lol j/k.

something worth noting about those rotel receivers, none of them have Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD and your ps3 doesn't have an on-board decoder. dont quote me on this but i think they're only HDMI 1.2 (1.3 is the current version). if you're dead set on going rotel see if you can wait for the new models

diggity
01-31-2008, 12:53 AM
just a quick settings question on PS3. did you guys leave the hdmi audio out as MPCM? my 2700 yamaha doesn't have HD sound fields so i dont know if i should change it

and jonny, 50 inch panasonic 1080p plasma ROCKS! definitely look at one. haha

GMichael
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
just a quick settings question on PS3. did you guys leave the hdmi audio out as MPCM? my 2700 yamaha doesn't have HD sound fields so i dont know if i should change it

L.J. has a PS3 and the 2700. I'm sure he'll know the answer to your question.

L.J.
01-31-2008, 08:12 AM

I leave mine on bitstream unless watching a movie with a TrueHD track. For some reason the PS3 will switch from bitstream to PCM automatically when watching a movie with MCPCM track but it won't do this for TrueHD(yet).

Nothing wrong with leaving it on MCPCM all the time though. It just means your PS3 will be doing all the decoding and sending everything to your 2700 as PCM.

diggity
01-31-2008, 11:45 PM
thanx mate, your the best!

alt4
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Heard nothing but good stuff on this piece!