need help picking a receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need help picking a receiver

thedude65
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm looking to upgrade from my old yamaha rx-v995 i purchased back in 1999. I've had no complaints with yamaha and immediatly set my sights on the yamaha rx-v3800.i have b&w 5.1 speaker set-up and definitly like the bump up in watts per channel from the 995's 100 to the 3800's 140(i've heard my speakers driven by more power and they seem to sound even better). However, i was wondering if receivers from the following companies comparable to rx-v3800 might be considered by others to maybe be a better match for my speakers( say, for instance, better quality amps) or just be considered better all around quality period. I've picked the Marantz 8002, pioneer vsx94txh, and Onkyo txsr875(i also like Rotel but may be to expensive). If any body out their could give me a hand with my decision i'd really appreciate it. p.s I don't care for Denon or Sony ES. I almost forgot: i have B&W 602s3 fronts, lcr600s3 center, 601s3 rears, and klipsch ksw-200 12 in. down-firing sub. Thanks!!!

diggity
01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
i own the rxv-2700 yamaha which i do really like, the only complaint i have is it gets really hot. and i mean hot. but i work for a company that just recently received onkyo txsr875 (was out of stock with australian supplier). i took an onkyo 875 home to compare with mine and fell in love with it. it drove my new b&w 703's well and didn't run as hot. also has a longer manufacturer warranty, 3 years for onkyo and two for yamaha.

hope this may help. and have fun choosing

cheers:dazza.
P.S i am still happy with yamaha amp tho

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2008, 05:07 AM
i own the rxv-2700 yamaha which i do really like, the only complaint i have is it gets really hot. and i mean hot. but i work for a company that just recently received onkyo txsr875 (was out of stock with australian supplier). i took an onkyo 875 home to compare with mine and fell in love with it. it drove my new b&w 703's well and didn't run as hot. also has a longer manufacturer warranty, 3 years for onkyo and two for yamaha.

hope this may help. and have fun choosing

cheers:dazza.
P.S i am still happy with yamaha amp tho
The only time you'll get a three year factory warranty from Onkyo is if you buy their flagship Integra receivers (in the U.S.). I also find it hard to believe the Yamaha runs hotter than the Onkyo, which is well known for it's heat generating characteristics.

Be that as it may, the 875 seems to line up well with the Yamaha rx-v1800, which is on my shopping list.

diggity
01-23-2008, 03:01 AM
The only time you'll get a three year factory warranty from Onkyo is if you buy their flagship Integra receivers (in the U.S.). I also find it hard to believe the Yamaha runs hotter than the Onkyo, which is well known for it's heat generating characteristics.

Be that as it may, the 875 seems to line up well with the Yamaha rx-v1800, which is on my shopping list.

wow i thought we in australia were behind the US in nearly everything. onkyo gives us three years warranty when you buy receivers from 805 and up! sorry for mis-information then. however i did find my yamaha ran hotter than onkyo. might just be the one i bought, wouldn't suprise me i had a little too much luck just lately. haven't bought a faulty product for three years, i am about due for one

cheers: dazza

PDN
01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey, great speaker those B&W DM602 S3's. I had originally purchased the DM601's and always regretted not going with the DM602's. I now have upgraded to the DM603 S3's and absolutely love them. Just breaking in nicely now having purchased them in Mar '07. As far as your question, I would stick with Marantz or Rotel however you'll pay higher prices for more power than other brands. Keep in mind too that Marantz does not rate their power as "all channels driven". I spoke directly with them recently to explain this to me since I have a Marantz A-V receiver and am thinking of upgrading. In 2 channel, yes the published rating is achieved. Once you go to 5.1 surround sound, Marantz guarantees 70% of the rated power in their specs. So for example with my unit rated at 90 watts/channel into 8 ohms (20hz to 20khz), as soon as I go to surround sound, my power drops to about 63 per channel. Sound is still superb though. Also, don't get hung up on more power. It's the quality not the quantity that counts in most moderate systems. Marantz, Rotel, NAD use very good components and power supplies. As a general rule, I would stay away from any A_V receiver brands sold in the mass market stores. Your B&W DM602 S3's are relatively easy to drive. The Marantz 8002 is an excellent choice. Go for it and let us know how you like it. I know you'll be very satisfied.