March Music Madness: Wilco vs. The White Stripes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Wilco vs. The White Stripes

newtrix1
03-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Please vote on your more favorite band between Wilco and The White Stripes .
thank you.

notes:
Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Polls will stay open until the elimination round ends...

Status (if you want to vote on one of the matches below, select the match #):
elimination match 1 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2446) : Yes (4) leads Jethro Tull (2). (Sorry, this one was not set up as a poll)
elim. match 2 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2516): The Flaming Lips (13) handily ahead of Dave Matthews Band (5)
elim. match 3: (in progress)
elim. match 4: tba
elim. match 5: tba
elim. match 6: tba
elim. match 7: tba
elim. match 8: tba

newtrix1
03-03-2004, 03:38 AM
Pounding basic rock beats "adult alternative"any day :D

mad rhetorik
03-03-2004, 06:43 AM
This poll is a tough call, since I like both bands. Overall I've more or less liked everything The 'Stripes have put out, while I've only heard two Wilco albums--<b>Summerteeth</b> and <b>Yankee Hotel Foxtrot</b>. However, both were very good albums.

So, it was a toss-up. Being a fan of minimalist blues rock (and since I still can't get "Black Math" out of my head), my money goes on Jack & Meg.

jdeare
03-03-2004, 07:51 AM
but the Stripes win it by a hair. I have a couple reasons, but they are trivial. I'll post them anyway!

I like Wilco, but what I don't like is that I have at least 2 friends who say things like, "I was at Rolling Stones last night and in walked Tweedy. I said, 'What up Tweedy!' and he said 'Yo!'." I don't know what it is about that band, but around here everyone thinks they are personal friends with them.

The Stripes, on the other hand, I like because they put on a great live show (if you saw them on the Grammys you know what I mean). Plus, Jack plays through a Silvertone Twin Twelve amp sometimes, which my dad also has and I have played through as well (was in a band in high school and he let me use it), so their sound is sorta "familiar" to me. Plus, the bass line from Seven Nation Army is really fun to play, even if Jack played it on a tuned down guitar.

Truly, I like both equally, but in this case, I like the Stripes more.

ForeverAutumn
03-03-2004, 08:07 AM
I choose Wilco.

No really profound reasons other than personal taste. I like the Stripes, but find that I get tired of hearing them pretty quickly. I haven't purchased any of their albums mainly because I don't think that I could sit through a full disk of their music. I really like them in small doses, however.

I have two Wilco disks (Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) and I enjoy both. I can see myself listening to these disks long into the future. I just don't see a whole lot of The White Stripes in my future. Guess I'm just into that adult alternative stuff. :D

Troy
03-03-2004, 08:26 AM
I don't like either band enough to choose one over the other.

Jim Clark
03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
I don't like either band enough to choose one over the other.

Ditto! For the life of me I can't think of a way to vote against both.

jc

Dave_G
03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Not sure why. I have heard W.S. music and I don't care for it.

Never heard any Wilco.

Dave

MindGoneHaywire
03-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I wasn't crazy about Summerteeth; I've heard YHF & think it's good, but...I prefer stuff that swings, & the Stripes are just way more up my alley. I loved Being There & still dig A.M., but the rockin' side of the 'Mats influence does seem to have waned just a bit. It is something of an unfair comparison because they're so different, but life ain't fair sometimes.

Mr MidFi
03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Wilco. This one is a tough one, and I'm a little disappointed that they were seeded to play in the first round. Should have made it a walk-over for both of them (like White Stripes vs. Jefferson Starship, or Wilco vs. Loverboy).

newtrix1
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Wilco. This one is a tough one, and I'm a little disappointed that they were seeded to play in the first round. Should have made it a walk-over for both of them (like White Stripes vs. Jefferson Starship, or Wilco vs. Loverboy).

I'll add Loverboy to the list of bands for my next game:

"Guilty Pleasure Survivor" :D

Swish
03-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Call it what you will, but they've been at it much longer than the White Stripes and their songwriting and style appeal to me much more. Being There has some great tracks, I really like Summerteeth (sorry J), and YHF was icing on the cake in my opinion. Their live show was also excellent and probably the second best I saw last year, just behind Los Lobos.

As for the White Stripes, I guess in my mind they are too one-dimentional and I tire of them after a few songs. That doesn't mean I don't like them, 'cause I do.

Swish, the great gob stopper (don't ask).

ForeverAutumn
03-05-2004, 11:00 AM
:D
I'll add Loverboy to the list of bands for my next game:

"Guilty Pleasure Survivor" :D

Hehehe. Loverboy happens to be in town this weekend and I'm going to see them tomorrow night!

Just turn me loose baby, 'cause the kid is hot tonight!

newtrix1
03-06-2004, 05:54 AM

Hehehe. Loverboy happens to be in town this weekend and I'm going to see them tomorrow night!

Just turn me loose baby, 'cause the kid is hot tonight!

...and I do hope the tickets were cheap! :D