Sacd...oppo?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sacd...oppo??

Bigmoney
01-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I am looking into an SACD player. What is the best value player with great performance. The oppo has good press but at 150 dollars it doesnt seem like it could be "that" great. Any other ideas for <300 dollars???

pixelthis
01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Cambridge has a dvd/sacd player for 299 at wide west electronics.
And circuit city has a sacd/cd only 5 disc for 130$, net only.
And Samsung had somew sacd players, thats what I HAVE, THE AUDIO IS GREAT:1:

Feanor
01-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I am looking into an SACD player. What is the best value player with great performance. The oppo has good press but at 150 dollars it doesnt seem like it could be "that" great. Any other ideas for <300 dollars???

I recently bought an Oppo DV-980H. I wanted multi-channel SACD for my HT setup, though I mostly listen to SACDs in stereo on my main system. In my case I needed to replace a broken Samsun universal and I hoped the Oppo would deliver high performance for the buck: I'm please with the results both SACD and DVD. :cornut:

In the bigger picture I wasn't prepared to spring for a BluRay at this time, so the Oppo is really an HT stop-gap which is why I wanted to keep my layout to <$200.

Bigmoney
01-21-2008, 07:30 AM
do you believe the oppo is the best value and has the best performance compared to the other ones mentioned earlier in this post. Is there anything that disappointed you. How is the red book cd playback?

Bigmoney
01-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I think after ready reviews of the cambridge products I am down to the dv 89 and the oppo. I mainly listen to regular cds but intend to expand my SACD collection. I am most interested which of the two handles red book cds the best and SACDs the best secondly. Also, is the price jump from 170 to 300 justified for the quality I would gain?

Feanor
01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
I think after ready reviews of the cambridge products I am down to the dv 89 and the oppo. I mainly listen to regular cds but intend to expand my SACD collection. I am most interested which of the two handles red book cds the best and SACDs the best secondly. Also, is the price jump from 170 to 300 justified for the quality I would gain?

The Oppo plays CDs as well as SACDs and DVD-As. I haven't heard the Cambridge so I can't compare the two, but my simple guess would be that difference is very small between the specific models in question.

Bigmoney
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
would it be fair to say you reccomend the oppo

Feanor
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
would it be fair to say you reccomend the oppo

Yes, I recommend the Oppo, but not necessarily "over" other units I haven't heard such as the Cambridge.

Bigmoney
01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
what other units would be better?? But affordable