Best speaker connection for 5 way binding post?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best speaker connection for 5 way binding post??

codecougar
01-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I am a newbie to this. Just not sure which connection is best. Right now I have just the bare wires straught into the screw down connector. Should I buy a set of spade connectors or banana plugs or get a set of speaker wires with these kind of connectors already installed? Is there any significant advantage to one versus the other?

Mr Peabody
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
There really isn't a lot of difference. Connectors are convenient if you unplug/plug very much and can prevent oxidation of wire. I'm not sure how serious oxidation can impact sound, I haven't noticed anything when I did use bare wire.

Spades are typically preferred over bananas, only because bananas aren't standard and you could get some that don't fit tightly. I have had sound degregation with a loose connection.

I have had improvements using better speaker cables, some say they haven't, much of it depends on the resolution of your system and synergy of the cable with your equipment.

basite
01-21-2008, 07:51 AM
unless you have problems with oxidation, I'd stay with bare wires. If you switch gear from time to time, get spades or bananas, also do so when the air in your room is humid. in fact, if that's the case, I'd even recommend something like this (http://wbt.de/index.php?id=93), and then bananas or spades over them.

however, spades aren't always bad, when you get like WBT spades, the connection is often improved.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
01-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I am a newbie to this. Just not sure which connection is best. Right now I have just the bare wires straught into the screw down connector. Should I buy a set of spade connectors or banana plugs or get a set of speaker wires with these kind of connectors already installed? Is there any significant advantage to one versus the other?

No problem with bare wire screwed down in a 5-way; in fact, probably the best method if you never disconnect/reconnect. Banana plugs, spades, and even pin connects (inserted in the 5-way where you would the bare wire), make little difference in my experinence. What is more important is that all connections are clean and secure. I use bananas because they are easiest to connect/disconnect/reconnect.

codecougar
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
That's cool. I will just stick with what I have. I just wanted to check. Thanks guys !!