A/V Processor with all the goodies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Processor with all the goodies

Mr Peabody
01-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I heard from a local shop who went to CES that Marantz was coming out with a separate processor and multichannel amp. The processor has all the latest features, so could this be what we've been waiting for? Unfortunately, they were told retail is targeted around $3k for just the processor which will put it in range with some stiff competition. The Marantz system was shown with Snell speakers and it was reported that the sound was very good. More so than the Mac which they thought was under whelming.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/09/hands-on-with-marantzs-new-av8003-and-mm8003-processor-amp-pair/

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pocketli/20080108/ttc-ces-2008-marantz-av8003-pre-processo-57dbc65_2.html

The units have started a buzz since their debut at CES but not much hard facts out yet. Will it be able to go toe to toe with the likes of Anthem and others in it's price range, only time will tell. Having HDMI and all the latest features is a step in the right direction. What do you guys think?

bobsticks
01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Other than the discrepancy over video processing ( 1080i v. 1080p) it looks interesting. I am, however, beating my head against the wall at the prospect of waiting to hear at least the processor.

Mr Peabody
01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I hear you and that has to be tough having your system down. I'm going to try and find some info on new Anthem. This Marantz may not hit the street until mid year with no guarantee you will be satisfied. Any idea what you might do?

bobsticks
01-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I hear you and that has to be tough having your system down. I'm going to try and find some info on new Anthem. This Marantz may not hit the street until mid year with no guarantee you will be satisfied. Any idea what you might do?

Well, as of this afternoon my system should be sorta-kinda back up...got the Yammie back at least temporarily. My boy went with Rotel seperates and B&W system...not bad for a guy that was going to go with an HTIB.

I spent the latter part of this week home auditioning an Anthem 20. The Anthem is a very nice piece of machinery, though limited as per my own application. Using seperate amps I did not find a difference in two-channel listening, at least not enough where I would view this as anything other than a lateral move--not an upgrade. This is not a statement about the whole Anthem line and I'm willing to believe that a different source might yield better results.

In all likelihood I'll grab the Onkyo for a few years until the price on the Mac MX 136 comes down...I need to buy a new car this year and the gf has been spending far too much time at jewelry stores for anything good to come of it.

I'm still trying to learn about using a seperate two-channel only pre within the mc system but the options seem limited.

basite
01-20-2008, 01:11 PM
the MX 136 should be released soon, it was already at CES, shoot a mail to Ron Cornelius to ask the official release date if you want to know :)

it is one big mutha though :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Are you saying you didn't hear much difference between the Yamaha and Anthem? If so, I'm surprised.

One thing to keep in mind on the MX136 is cost, I bet it's around $6k.

I'm going to pick up a HDMI switcher so I can use HDMI from my satelite box. I may not be in a hurry to upgrade either. The only reason would be to take advantage of the new HD audio and I also want to wait until I'm sure bitstream is going to work via HDMI.

bobsticks
01-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Are you saying you didn't hear much difference between the Yamaha and Anthem? If so, I'm surprised.

One thing to keep in mind on the MX136 is cost, I bet it's around $6k.

I'm going to pick up a HDMI switcher so I can use HDMI from my satelite box. I may not be in a hurry to upgrade either. The only reason would be to take advantage of the new HD audio and I also want to wait until I'm sure bitstream is going to work via HDMI.

Nah, there's a difference in spatial conveyance and imaging in two-channel analog, but I suspect that might be negated by using a digital signal to the Onkyo's Burr Browns. Again, i just found that the trade offs for the money involved wasn't acceptable...but that's me and my priorities change pretty rapidly.

The 136 is going to go for at least 9.5k, which means at best one might find it for 7k after a month or so.

Mr Peabody
01-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Bobsticks, I saw some features on the Marantz AV8003, notice the built in digital multimedia player with ethernet. I also like the HD radio tuner.

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news_detail.php?id=15112

Rich-n-Texas
01-28-2008, 06:25 AM
...and the gf has been spending far too much time at jewelry stores for anything good to come of it.
:lol: The WAF will soon be rearing its ugly head in the bobsticks household. How sad. And he was showing so much promise...

On topic: Good luck with whichever route you take Bobby. I'm in the process of running some cat 5 cable as my soon to arrive Yamaha will give me the type of multimedia player options Mr. P speaks of. It involves Windows Media Player, but that's okay, I can live with a design flaw every now and then.

Mr Peabody
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I really have my eye on this piece. If the sound quality is there for the kind of money they will be asking I might just have me one.