Home Theater Speaker Guidance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Speaker Guidance

CHUCKCHILLOUT
01-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I am looking to upgrade my current home theater setup from 5.1 to 7.1. Here is my setup, HITACHI 42HDT79, ONKYO TX-SR605, KLIPSCH QUINTET III, VELODYNE VA 1012, and a PS3. I primarily use my system for watching movies, gaming, watching sports and listening to music, primarily electronica. I would like to get a good value for $400-600 bucks max. I recently heard some Dahlquist DQ-8 speakers in Hawthorne stereo(Hawthornstereo.com). They sounded amazing there, and I have also read the DQ-10s are amazing. But I also realize I would be using a receiver rated at 90 watts per channel and everything I have read says those speakers require a lot of power that I do not have. Should I scrap the idea of purchasing either speaker, I have read about definitive technology, polk, klipsch and cambridge soundworks many used on craigslist. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for my budget. I currently live in Seattle. Any and all help is appreciated.

Mr Peabody
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
If you are going to keep your current Klipsch I'd recommend going with the same brand and series. If you are going for a whole package go with what sounds good. I'm not familiar with the Dali you were looking at but the Onkyo would have more drive than most receivers in it's price range. What ever you end up with isn't going to play as loud as the Klipsch, they are very sensitive. You might give a listen to Paradigm, they sound good and are still higher than average sensitivity.