Denon AVR 3805 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR 3805

fokkku
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Anybody want to comment on the new Dennon AVR 3805? I'm interested in hearing as I just placed an order to purchase one when they arrive.

Steve in Hawaii

Bryan
03-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Looks like Denon is trying to compete with the Yamaha RX-V2400. Major items are the room EQ and RS-232C port. If you don't need either consider going with the 3803.

Worf101
03-03-2004, 06:47 AM
about being among the first to "road test" Denon's most ambitious receiver to date? If it were my decision I'd wait and see if any "bugs" appeared from the early adopters (of course I guess that could be what you are) and then think about shelling out my cabbage. I'd hate to be stuck with an electronic lemon knowing what I know about customer support in these days of the "thin margin". But since you're bound and determined to be first...

Good Luck and Q'Plah!!!

Da Worfster :o

spacedeckman
03-03-2004, 07:28 AM
I was told that was a $60 option.

Let us know what you think. Is it worth the 25% price-up from a Yammy 2400...that's going to be the big question. Now, Worf gave you your assignment, follow up with us would you?.

Thanks,

fokkku
03-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm going in boys and girls. All for the betterment of our knowledge........the Denon AVR 3805 shall be mine.
Steve in Hawaii

Brewster
04-10-2004, 04:33 PM
:rolleyes: I, too, have chosen to use the AVR-3805 amp-rcvr for home theater. I've had the AVR-3805 for a couple weeks now, so I'm still evaluating its performance with different sources and formats. I have been very satisfied with the sights and sounds of the AVR-3805 to date.

I can't compare it to the Yamaha 2400, never having experienced both in the same environment. It has enough high-tech inputs and outputs to handle my DVD players, Cable, audio gear, etc., sadly, no HDMI in-outs however. the DTS and Dolby processors provide superb expansion. I purchased the optional set-up microphone and noticed that the AVR-3805 nicely optimized the channel delays and speaker profiles (including individual EQ for each speaker) while I stood by. The result is a delightful sonic "sweet spot" centered where I placed the microphone but with good overall sound through the viewing area.

To date, my biggest disappointment is the 100-page Operating Instructions. A few select sections are clear and exact (mostly sections apparently quoted from Dolby and DTS descriptive literature). The bulk of the manual gave me a mixture of laughter and tears, depending on whether I really needed answers or not. Usually the intricate details simply are lost while attempting to jump through the seemingly insurmountable language barrier. The documents could stand a nice cleanup.

I like the remote control unit. It lights up when you touch it. And it's divided into three sections which nicely allow common functions to "punch through" in all modes. The remote controls are comprehensive enough to let me operate the theater from the comfort of my "sweet-spot" chair.

However, after I found my wife desperately puching at the remote ("I just want to watch TV!!!"), I realized that the AVR-3805 is not an amp for the electronically perplexed. With so many ways to switch inputs, zones, amp stage assignments, digital mapping, optional EQ, subwoofer sourcing, etc, the AVR-3805 is capable of some powerful tricks. But, because the documents are fairly useless, prepare to take your time and read between the lines, bolstered by trips to your favorite internet sites for complete explanations of DTS, PCM, Dolby, digital audio, component video, LFE, 5.1, 6-channel, 7.1, downmixing, and other technical considerations.

To solve the "I just want to watch TV" user-problem, I picked up a small learning remote at the store and programmed it for easy TV watching, It shuts down the AVR-3805, switches over to the built-in TV speakers and cable-ready tuning. Volume, Channel, On-Off.

These views are my personal opinions and reactions as a consumer and purchaser. No claim is made as to the suitability of this device for any particular purpose under heaven, nor as to the accuracy of this review.

JCinTexas
04-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Anybody want to comment on the new Dennon AVR 3805? I'm interested in hearing as I just placed an order to purchase one when they arrive.

Steve in Hawaii I bought the 3805 2 weeks ago and have been evaluating it every night since. It is excellent in some respects and not so excellent in others. First, here's what I really like about it. Channel seperation is outstanding. In DTS Neo-6 mode, some 2-channel CDs sound better than I've ever heard before. (Eagles 7 Bridges Road, Rolling Stones). Pro-Logic II makes every TV program sound like full-blown Dolby Digital. I watched Alien on satellite, and the PL-2 sounded as good as a 5.1 channel DVD. The Remote Control looks great and is a quantum leap forward from Denon's remote units to date.
Now for the "not so excellent."
The new Denon automatic sound equalization systems just doesn't get the job done.
It may be "parametric", but it does not perform nearly as well as the Pioneer Elite MCACC equalization system. The Pioneer accurately measured the distance to all speakers.
The Denon was off by 2 to 4 feet on my 5 speakers and it was off an incredible 9 feet on the subwoofer. I tried the auto-equalization 4 times. Same result each time and the equalization did not improve the sound. In fact the sound was better right out of the box.
How about music? Many of my favorite CDs just don't sound as good with this receiver. I noticed this immediately and so did my family. I like a wide variety of music. Steve McDonald's Highland Farewell was superb, but female vocals sound thin and even irritating. The 3805 makes Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and the Dixie Chicks tiring for me to listen to. My Manheim Steamroller and Electric Light Orchestra collection did not sound nearly as good as on my Pioneer Elite VSX-45 receiver.
So how soes it perform on DVD movies? Only average. We watched several of our favorites such as Matrix 1 & 2, Terminator 2 & 3, and Predator 1. In Predator, when Jessie Ventura is killed by the alien monster, Arnold and the boys unleash the firepower on the jungle. When they stop shooting, there is silence.....and then the buzzing of a fly....and then the chirping of birds...before music and before anyone speaks. I have watched this scene 30 - 40 times. My 18 year old son noticed something missing from the sound. With the Denon 3805, there is no buzzing fly!
We replayed it several times and could not hear the fly. That fly comes in clearly on my Pioneer Elite and on my old Sony before that.
So......the Denon 3805 is going back to the dealer.
My Pioneer Elite VSX-45 is a more "enjoyable receiver".
For me, the enjoyment of my system is the bottom line.
JC in Texas

Worf101
04-12-2004, 07:43 AM
I won't be "upgrading" any of my receivers anytime soon, but it's always good to "get the skinny" from folks who've put their money where their mouths are. I thank you for information and I hope all who bought eventually become "happy campers". Thanks again..

Da Worfster

:)

ppopp
04-20-2004, 01:36 PM
It all depends on what source and speakers you are planning to use with it as to how much you're going to like it sonically. From the point of view of features - there isn't much more you could ask for. It's better to pay $60 for a good quality mic than have a very basic one thrown in.
You'll either like or hate the remote. I've yet to meet someone who 'loves' it (I sell them), but then it is thrown in, so to speak.
The 3805 has good quality processing and can drive most speakers comfortably.
A $150 DVD player will work with it, but appreciably better results will be had with s few steps up - at least a Denon DVD2200.
Complimenting the 3805 with decent cables is always a good idea. Particular attention to the audio (analog and digital) cables recommended, as with speaker cables of course. Try to avoid generic speaker cable if you can.
What does the rest of your gear consist of?

JCinTexas
04-20-2004, 05:26 PM
It all depends on what source and speakers you are planning to use with it as to how much you're going to like it sonically. From the point of view of features - there isn't much more you could ask for. It's better to pay $60 for a good quality mic than have a very basic one thrown in.
You'll either like or hate the remote. I've yet to meet someone who 'loves' it (I sell them), but then it is thrown in, so to speak.
The 3805 has good quality processing and can drive most speakers comfortably.
A $150 DVD player will work with it, but appreciably better results will be had with s few steps up - at least a Denon DVD2200.
Complimenting the 3805 with decent cables is always a good idea. Particular attention to the audio (analog and digital) cables recommended, as with speaker cables of course. Try to avoid generic speaker cable if you can.
What does the rest of your gear consist of?
================================================== ===========
Hello Ppop,
Speakers: NHT M-5 Evolution (which I rate as Excellent)
DVD: Pioneer SACD, DVD-Audio, CD
Analog Cables to all speakers is 14 gauge oxygen-free with fairly short runs.

To clarify what I've said in this Thread above: The Denon 3805 is an excellent receiver
and I do like the remote. I do think Denon needs to do some more work on their auto
equalization system. It did not perform nearly as well as the Pioneer MCACC equalization.
I liked the Denon DSPs and the outstanding channel seperation. Having said all this,
I still like the Pioneer Elite receiver better than the Denon. On some music the Denon
was very good, but on some it was not. To me the Denon has a "dry" sound with a sharp
edge. This is especially apparent on female vocals. I'm sure that those who love to keep
playing with (experimenting) with the variety of settings...will find ways of coping with this.
The Pioneer Elite is a "sweeter" and more forgiving receiver. I listened hard to the Denon
for 2 weeks. I listened to much of my favorite music and watched several of my favorite
scenes from DVD movies. These include Terminator 2 and 3, Matrix 1 & 2, Predator 1,
Fight Club, and Monster's Inc. Then I unplugged the Denon and reconnected my Pioneer
Elite. I immediately listened to much of the same music and movies as with the Denon.
The Elite sounds better to my ears....and to my wife's....and my 18 year old son and my
2 daughters. The Denon has since been returned to the dealer. If he offered to trade me
even-steven for my Elite.....I wouldn't trade. If I were going to purchase another receiver
now, I would get the Pioneer Elite 47i (Firewire) or the Elite 55i. To those who are struggling with making a receiver decision, I would say: "Don't" Spend the time and
effort on making a decision about your speakers. With really good speakers, you will
likely be happy with any of the top receiver brands now available. It is truly amazing how
good these modern receivers are. Denon and Pioneer Elite are two of the best!
Regards to all
J.C.

JCinTexas
04-20-2004, 05:36 PM
================================================== ===========
Hello Ppop,
Speakers: NHT M-5 Evolution (which I rate as Excellent)
DVD: Pioneer SACD, DVD-Audio, CD
Analog Cables to all speakers is 14 gauge oxygen-free with fairly short runs.

To clarify what I've said in this Thread above: The Denon 3805 is an excellent receiver and I do like the remote. I do think Denon needs to do some more work on their auto equalization system. It did not perform nearly as well as the Pioneer MCACC equalization.I liked the Denon DSPs and the outstanding channel seperation. Having said all this, I still like the Pioneer Elite receiver better than the Denon. On some music the Denon was very good, but on some it was not. To me the Denon has a "dry" sound with a sharp edge. This is especially apparent on female vocals. I'm sure that those who love to keep playing with (experimenting) with the variety of settings...will find ways of coping with this. The Pioneer Elite is a "sweeter" and more forgiving receiver. I listened hard to the Denon for 2 weeks. I listened to much of my favorite music and watched several of my favorite scenes from DVD <A TITLE="Click for more information about movies" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||movies|AA1VDw">movies</A>. These include Terminator 2 and 3, Matrix 1 & 2, Predator 1, Fight Club, and Monster's Inc. Then I unplugged the Denon and reconnected my Pioneer Elite. I immediately listened to much of the same music and movies as with the Denon. The Elite sounds better to my ears....and to my wife's....and my 18 year old son and my 2 daughters. The Denon has since been returned to the dealer. If he offered to trade me even-steven for my Elite.....I wouldn't trade. If I were going to purchase another receiver now, I would get the Pioneer Elite 47i (Firewire) or the Elite 55i. To those who are struggling with making a receiver decision, I would say: "Don't" Spend the time and effort on making a decision about your speakers. With really good speakers, you will
likely be happy with any of the top receiver brands now available. It is truly amazing how
good these modern receivers are. Denon and Pioneer Elite are two of the best!
Regards to all
J.C.
Let's hope it just keeps on getting better and better.

ppopp
04-20-2004, 06:32 PM
JCinTexas is clearly impressed with the Pioneer unit. Seemingly it works best for JC with the NHT speakers and Pioneer universal DVD player. I receiver (like most other components) is only as good as the way it performs with your gear. I've heard gear which has had great reviews sound fine in some systems and lousy in others. What's good for the goose...
If you've ordered online you're gambling to some extent. So long as they are authorised and have a good, established return policy.. I have many customers who have been burned online and many who appear to be happy with their net-purchasing experience.
Chances are you'll be happy with the 3805. But it's worth making sure the etailer you chose has your back if you are not fully satisfied with your purchase.