Polycarbonate vs Myler [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate vs Myler

SpankingVanillaice
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I always wondered about this but what is the difference between Myler and Polycarbonate tweeters? To me they look exactly the same and feel the same meaning both are plastic tweeters. Is there any difference in sound in the two?

Ajani
01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Personally, I prefer Berillium-Ultra-Laminate-Lioxide-Semi-Hydroxenide-Iranive-Titanium for tweeters. But If you like polycarb or myler, then more power to you.

So you've been on this site since 04 - WOW.....

basite
01-18-2008, 10:44 AM
So you've been on this site since 04 - WOW.....

yes, but he's kinda slow on the learning part :)

plastic tweeters? you're kidding, right? stay away from plastic tweeters.

SpankingVanillaice
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Well actualy I know that Polycarbonate tweeters and Myler uses some type of plastic that wont melt even in high temps. Plus I do know that alot of speakers use Myler or Polycarbonate as a tweeter. But I just want to know is there any difference in sound compaired to Myler dome tweeters and Polycarbonated dome tweeters.

topspeed
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
plastic tweeters? you're kidding, right? stay away from plastic tweeters.
Uh...Bert? What do you think most soft dome tweeters are?

But I just want to know is there any difference in sound compaired to Myler dome tweeters and Polycarbonated dome tweeters. Probably, but it isn't just because of the material of the dome. There is a lot more to it than that. The diffraction of the wave guide, motor structure, design parameters, etc. all dictate the sound of any transducer. It all depends on what the designer was shooting for. Understand, all tweeters sound different, regardless of the choice of materials. If they all sounded the same, every speaker would use the same tweeter!

SpankingVanillaice
01-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Well lets say that both the Myler and Polycarbonated dome tweeters use the same design and same voice coils etc. Would they sound the same since they are both made of plastic type?

basite
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Uh...Bert? What do you think most soft dome tweeters are?

or they are felt, or they are paper, or they are woven mylar. but that's still different as a solid plastic tweeter (like dinoboy has). like the ones you find on cheap speakers.

a soft dome tweeter should be a soft dome tweeter. using the same material as in the soft dome tweeter in a wannabe hard dome tweeter isn't going to work...

zepman1
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
as was just mentioned mylar tweets are typically a soft woven material, and sound much like other soft tweet materials such as silk. Produce a softer treble response when compared to aluminum and titanium. Some would say less detailed...

polycarbonate is a hard plastic and I would imagine it would sound terrible.

SpankingVanillaice
01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Well I know speakers like the JBL Control 1 from JBL pro use Polycarbonated dome tweeters and they sound really clear and soft in the ears. But I don't know much about Myler dome tweeters all I know that the M-Audio AV 20 uses Myler instead of Silk dome tweeters. Most M-Audio studio monitors use Natural silk but only the AV 20 uses Myler. I guess also the DX4 from M-Audio uses Myler too and I have touched the tweeters and they feel same as Polycarbonate tweeters meaning smooth and both look shiny like very thin plastic.

basite
01-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Well I know speakers like the JBL Control 1 from JBL pro use Polycarbonated dome tweeters and they sound really clear and soft in the ears.

that's because you haven't heard better.

SpankingVanillaice
01-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Well I have actualy heard better since I use to own JBL speakers that had pure titanium dome tweeters and I right now have monitors that has silk dome tweeters but since as I said on the other topic I am trading them with a monitor that is more compac since I like small monitors. The AV 20 has a myler dome tweeters and the AV 30 or 40 has silk dome tweeters.

basite
01-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Well I have actualy heard better since I use to own JBL speakers that had pure titanium dome tweeters and I right now have monitors that has silk dome tweeters but since as I said on the other topic I am trading them with a monitor that is more compac since I like small monitors. The AV 20 has a myler dome tweeters and the AV 30 or 40 has silk dome tweeters.

1: The JBL's aren't 'Better', if they were, you would have kept them. Go to a real audio dealer (This does not include Best buy, circuit city, radio shack, or any of those), and listen to a pair of really good speakers there. then compare with your tiny 'monitors', well, what you call 'monitor', the AV20's are more like overrated pc speakers.

2: the av20 has a myler dome tweeter, and the 30 & 40 have silk dome tweeters, now look at their price, Guess why the AV20's have myler and the other 2 use silk...

Let me give you the solution, just so you don't have to think and find out that you don't know anyway: The av20's are crap, and the 30 & 40's are 'better'.

bfalls
01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Usually you'll see the Mylar and Polycarbonate tweeters in auto and outdoor speakers. My guess is they tolerate the outdoor environment better. The only "plastic" tweeters I've seen on indoor speakers have been in Polk, BIC and others who use a Tweeter/Mid combined modular insert which looks to me like a car speaker stuck in an indoor speaker cabinet. I've also seen them in multi-media type speakers, probably easier and cheaper to manufacture.

johnny p
01-19-2008, 02:59 PM
To get the best performance from the Polycarbonate speakers, you must put a thin layer of sheep's bladder on them, and it truely softens the sound, but some would argue that it also softens the experience.