Connection question.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connection question..

nameth
01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Is there any way to watch movie files from your computer on a TV set that does not have the PC input?

I have a Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD, and just my luck, its the last model I think before they introduced the PC input. I have a ton of stuff Id like to watch on the TV that is on my computer, and would rather not spend the time burning the movie to dvd's.

So my question is: Is there any way to make this happen without the PC input on the TV?

Thanks

Nameth

(Ive posted this in another Topic for 3 days now with no replies.. Im posting here in hopes that someone here knows the answer.. thanks.)

bfalls
01-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I know Dell had a Dongle for their laptops which included outputs for S-video, analog and digital audio. Some PC video cards have DVI, component and composite outputs. All should be available inputs on your TV.

nameth
01-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey there..

I thought that video files (such as .avi or .mpeg) could not be displayed on a TV for some reason.. obviously I could be entirely wrong :)

For instance.. I have a PS3..

is it possible then to use a usb flash drive to put movies onto the PS3 HD, and then simply play them on the PS3, which is connected to my TV via a HDMI cable?

Scott W
01-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Is there any way to watch movie files from your computer on a TV set that does not have the PC input?

I have a Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD, and just my luck, its the last model I think before they introduced the PC input. I have a ton of stuff Id like to watch on the TV that is on my computer, and would rather not spend the time burning the movie to dvd's.

So my question is: Is there any way to make this happen without the PC input on the TV?

Thanks

Nameth

(Ive posted this in another Topic for 3 days now with no replies.. Im posting here in hopes that someone here knows the answer.. thanks.)
I can do what you asked about but I had to buy a different video card for my pc,the card I am using has both s-video and dvi out,I have a plasma tv and wanted to use the dvi out via dvi/hdmi cable,it works but it's a pain finding the correct resolution settings for widescreen and then back to a normal (non widescreen) monitor afterward,I've ended up using the s-video which does not have as good video quality but is so much easier.Oh and I almost forgot to mention that the media player that you use (on your pc) may not support all video formats to your tv.I can't use windows media player(9) to play movies on my plasma but power dvd player will,that is the media player software that came with the video card.I'll check back to this thread in a day or 2,I'm just giving you info off the top of my head right now and would have to go check the file types that work on which player as well as the brand names of my video card(s)

Scott W
01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I personaly think that the newer blu-ray stuff is way over priced for the little bit better picture quality you get, than even regular dvd quality,I love my tv with it's 1080i picture but I got caught up in the HD frenzy and went out and bought a hdmi Onkyo receiver for about $500 only to realize that I'm not using it for anything more than a hdmi switcher that I could have gotten for $150,I already had more than one surround receiver that had the sound quality of the Onkyo.I have no one to blame but myself for getting caught up in the advertising and being an impulsive buyer,Hopfully next time I'll use more commen sense.

pixelthis
01-21-2008, 12:27 AM
theres a lot of video cards out there with dvi , s-vhs, or just plain composite out.
One thing I HAD TROUBLE WITH , some mpegs wouldnt show, for some reason.
But when I turned down the q setting in the settings they started showing.
There are some adapyers that will turn componet into rgb and vice versa.
The dvi is probably your best bet, but some dvi is analog, some digital.
Good luck, I use my 37in for a desktop, and its worth the trouble:1:

diggity
01-21-2008, 01:37 AM
there is another way. my smaller 42" 1080p philips lcd also does not have a pc input. but it does have a component h/v input. this is basically a component (red, green and blue) input with two rca inputs directly underneath it. these two extra rca plugs designed to assist with horizontal and vertical sync.

if you do have this connection ask for a "vga to component" cable at your local dealer.hope this helps.

cheers: dazza

notphilmitchell
01-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't know that this helps but it is what I do...

When I lived in the UK, I got hooked on a couple daily television programs. I download them from a torrent site every day. I then just dump the files on a dvd (I don't bother to convert them) and play them on a really cheap Philips DVD player (I really don't remember the model- possibly Philips DVP5982 ?) but it has mpg, DIVX, WMA support and it was about $40. Do a search for "hackers favorite Philips DVD player". I found that the few minutes it takes to burn a disc and the $40 I spent on the player was worth avoiding the hassle of hooking/unhooking my laptop up and it also freed up drive space.

diggity
01-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I don't know that this helps but it is what I do...

When I lived in the UK, I got hooked on a couple daily television programs. I download them from a torrent site every day. I then just dump the files on a dvd (I don't bother to convert them) and play them on a really cheap Philips DVD player (I really don't remember the model- possibly Philips DVP5982 ?) but it has mpg, DIVX, WMA support and it was about $40. Do a search for "hackers favorite Philips DVD player". I found that the few minutes it takes to burn a disc and the $40 I spent on the player was worth avoiding the hassle of hooking/unhooking my laptop up and it also freed up drive space.

this would be the easiest way as the picture quality of DIVX is generally pretty good. i used do this with a certain bbc car show. and this way if anyone wants the episode i can just give it to them. but playing them from a external hdd is heaps more convenient for me

cheers: dazza

notphilmitchell
01-24-2008, 06:11 AM
i used do this with a certain bbc car show

Hmm, I'd bet they had some Top Gear on that show! One of the programs that I download is a daily drama (my screenname refers to it) so quality obviously isn't a concern! However, the video and audio from DiVX is usually pretty good.