Why would you do this [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why would you do this

cam
03-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I have been into audio the last 15 years now, starting back with a couple of pretty decent car stereos and now in my last 2 homes with some fairly decent home theater set ups. One thing I read about people doing when listening to 2 channel music in there homes is they turn off there sub. I have always wonder why. It doesn't matter what sub I have now or have had in the past I would not consider turning it off. I have the paradigm monitor 7's v3 which do a fairly good job with the bass, I think, but on there own there just is not that complete sound that I am use to. It doesn't matter what style of music, I need that sub on. Do you guys out there that turn your subs off with 2 channel music have floorstanders that are flat down to 30 hertz or so. Maybe I am a bass freak but when I am listening to music I like to feel it also. Why would you turn your sub off.

03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Maybe someone has a sub with a 50hz cross over and the speakers go down below 50hz. If the speakers go to 40hz, for example, then there will be a 10Hz gap that both the sub and speakers respond.
I suppose this creates a "hump" in the music where there is too much midbase. The flow isnt natural and I guess it takes the focus off the rest of the music.

I guess thats 1 reason why you would want to turn off your subwoofer.

spacedeckman
03-02-2004, 08:07 PM
benefit with music. Many exaggerate certain frequencies and can often excite room problems that were asleep without the woofer. The end result is an inaccurate presentation that may not be musically satisfying.

I use 6 1/2" bookshelf speakers with no woofer. Tried a nice M&K once due to the really steep crossover slope. Got it to blend really well, but found my room was not a real "happy bass room". Really high powered dual 8" woofer...but I don't think I would use it all the time even if it would have worked in my room.

BTW, two channel system. Vinyl and tubes.

cam
03-02-2004, 08:33 PM
benefit with music. Many exaggerate certain frequencies and can often excite room problems that were asleep without the woofer. The end result is an inaccurate presentation that may not be musically satisfying.

I use 6 1/2" bookshelf speakers with no woofer. Tried a nice M&K once due to the really steep crossover slope. Got it to blend really well, but found my room was not a real "happy bass room". Really high powered dual 8" woofer...but I don't think I would use it all the time even if it would have worked in my room.

BTW, two channel system. Vinyl and tubes.
If certain frequencies are being exaggerated that tells me the sub may not be in a optimal spot or the sub frequency is set to high. If the sub excites the room problems for music won't it also for movies. I am sure the 2 channel music lovers out there have spent countless hours tuning, refining, and positioning there sub so it is a perfect blend, but there are some who still turn their sub off. Provided everything is set up for optimal sound, sub off is just listening to music, sub on, is a listening experience. IMO.

topspeed
03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
If certain frequencies are being exaggerated that tells me the sub may not be in a optimal spot or the sub frequency is set to high. If the sub excites the room problems for music won't it also for movies. I am sure the 2 channel music lovers out there have spent countless hours tuning, refining, and positioning there sub so it is a perfect blend, but there are some who still turn their sub off. Provided everything is set up for optimal sound, sub off is just listening to music, sub on, is a listening experience. IMO.

Read Rich Greene's thread on room modes. There are certain hot spots that you just can't negate with placement, you'd need an eq or suchlike.

During movies, I could care less if an explosion is exaggerated by the sub. How the heck do I know what the accurate reproduction of a starcruiser being annihilated sounds like? Over the top sound during movies is half the fun, right?

I turn my sub off for music because there can be a thing as too much bass...and I'm a drummer! To my ears, the music is simply more accurate, cohesive and natural w/out it. I have floorstanders for mains that only drop to 40Hz yet they have more than enough punch and depth to satiate my jones for bass. If I had it on, it would actually detract from my enjoyment of the music and therefore negate the "experience" as you put it. I'm sure it's all a matter of taste, room, and system.

Interesting question tho.

mtrycraft
03-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Read Rich Greene's thread on room modes. There are certain hot spots that you just can't negate with placement, you'd need an eq or suchlike.

During movies, I could care less if an explosion is exaggerated by the sub. How the heck do I know what the accurate reproduction of a starcruiser being annihilated sounds like? Over the top sound during movies is half the fun, right?

I turn my sub off for music because there can be a thing as too much bass...and I'm a drummer! To my ears, the music is simply more accurate, cohesive and natural w/out it. I have floorstanders for mains that only drop to 40Hz yet they have more than enough punch and depth to satiate my jones for bass. If I had it on, it would actually detract from my enjoyment of the music and therefore negate the "experience" as you put it. I'm sure it's all a matter of taste, room, and system.

Interesting question tho.

Why not just turn the sub down since you probably have it turned up by a few dBs for movie? Take that out.

topspeed
03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Sometimes I'll do that, but it's pretty rare. I just prefer the presentation without it. Like I said, personal preference.

Worf101
03-03-2004, 07:27 AM
I have pondered this long and hard myself. My first true stereo was bass heavy and muddy. It was a sonic tragedy but that's what I got used to and looked for in every system for a long long time. Since "movin' on up" every other speaker/system combo I've had since then has focused more on detailed highs and mids. I've become more interested in smooth balance between trebles mids and bass as opposed to my previous listening habits. When I finally added a sub I the whole crossover, blend problem had me nuts for a while. With some mains I cut the sub out, with bookshelfs or small mains like the Ohm Walsh 2 I kept the sub in the 2 channel mix.

Now that I'm using Platinum Audio Studio 3's as mains I run my Hsu VTF-3 using the Onkyo 898's internal 80mhz crossover. I like that sound quite well now. But I can see how some folks with large mains that have good low freq response might not wish to complicate the issue with a sub. Belive me if I was running B&W 801's I'd not be worried about running an added sub while with the 804's I would.

Da Worfster

Hairsonfire
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey Worf, isn't it amazing how much bass those little drivers put out? I have a pair of the Quatro's Biamped and Biwired with two Aragon 8008BB's - sweeeeet! I think we have discussed this before. Love the S. Jackson Icon -

Worf101
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey Worf, isn't it amazing how much bass those little drivers put out? I have a pair of the Quatro's Biamped and Biwired with two Aragon 8008BB's - sweeeeet! I think we have discussed this before. Love the S. Jackson Icon -
When I first got the Studio 3's I found em a bit on the "bright" side and a little ear fatiguing. But after doing some room corrections and calibration I find them to be a good if not great speaker and at 300 for the pair used..... highway robbery!!!!

Thanks for the love Hairs...

Da Worfster...

""The path of the righteous man is beset on
all sides by the inequities of the
selfish and the tyranny of evil
men. Blessed is he who, in the
name of charity and good will,
shepherds the weak through the
valley of darkness, for he is truly
his brother's keeper and the finder
of lost children. And I will
strike down upon thee with great