Anyone planning on seeing Cloverfield? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on seeing Cloverfield?

ForeverAutumn
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm really curious about this movie, but I suspect that the hype has been more interesting than the actual film will be.

Whether or not I go to see it will depend on whether I can find the time before it leaves the theatres and heads for DVD. I think that this will be the sort of movie better seen in a theatre.

Is my curiousity worth $13?

kexodusc
01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm going to see it - I'm holding out hope that it's a giant squid monster attacking the city.
We could use a good giant squid monster movie.

GMichael
01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
With spiders. Lots and lots of spiders.

Worf101
01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
You peeples are soooo sick. But I love the way you think. Gimme monsters... big, giant, bulding mashing monsters.... and I'll be happy.

Da Worfster :cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Do I get the impression this movie is filmed in the same manner as that movie way back (can't remember the name of it but it was about 3 or 4 kids with a camera who got lost in the woods and ended up being killed by a witch or something?) That's the way it looks from the trailer anyway.

It opens tomorrow and I just may go see it.

ForeverAutumn
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Do I get the impression this movie is filmed in the same manner as that movie way back (can't remember the name of it but it was about 3 or 4 kids with a camera who got lost in the woods and ended up being killed by a witch or something?) That's the way it looks from the trailer anyway.

You're thinking of The Blair Witch Project. And, yes, from what I've read the premise is that you're seeing Manhattan get destroyed from the view of a 20-something holding a small video camera.

My favourite line from one of the reviews that I've read...

a big-picture disaster seen through the viewfinder of little, self-absorbed people. :lol:

Groundbeef
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM

No, you're getting confused.

Thats the "Cloverwitch Project". 4 kids dress up like Lucky Charms, and chase a rabid Leprecauhn through lower Manhatten in search for the "Magic 8 Ball".

GMichael
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
From Wikipedia

Plot summary
The film begins with a message from the U.S. Government media display, saying that the following footage was recovered from the site formerly known as Central Park as a splash screen to the rest of the film, depicted through retrieved handheld video footage, recordered over Rob and Beth filming themselves on April 27th with intermittent flashes of underlying footage during periods the new footage has not recorded over.

On May 22, Jason Hawkins (Mike Vogel) and his girlfriend, Lily (Jessica Lucas), plan a surprise going away party for Jason's brother, Rob (Michael Stahl-David), who has accepted a business position in Japan. Jason entrusts Rob’s best friend, Hud (T.J. Miller), with the video camera, so he can tape the party and document Rob’s last night in America. The party at Rob’s Manhattan apartment begins and all is well, though Hud has no luck flirting with his crush, Marlena (Lizzy Caplan), from behind the camera.

Rob arrives and is happy to see all his friends. Things get complicated quickly, though, as it is revealed that Rob recently slept with Beth (Odette Yustman), making their longtime friendship more complicated just before he leaves the country. Beth arrives at the party - but with a date. When Rob confronts her about the date, she claims they have not spoken in weeks (presumably since right around their sexual encounter). Beth leaves with her date, and Rob hints to his brother that he cares for Beth, although he never told her this.

The building’s power temporarily fails, and partygoers watch a news report saying that an oil tanker near the Statue of Liberty has capsized. Dozens of people head to the roof to get a look, only to witness a huge explosion in the distance sending the witnesses to ground level from debris pelting the city scape with violent force. Down on the street, the Statue of Liberty's head crashes down onto the roads, and everyone witnesses more explosions and a gigantic moving form in the distance. Rob, Jason, Lily, Marlena and Hud all head for the Brooklyn Bridge. While on the bridge, Rob gets a call from Beth, who is now injured and trapped in her Midtown apartment after an explosion. Just then, a giant tendril comes out of the water and destroys the bridge, killing Jason among many others. Rob and his friends head back to Manhattan.

Rob says that he is heading to Midtown to save Beth. After unsuccessfully pleading with him not to do so, his friends follow. Meanwhile, everyone starts to learn more about what exactly is attacking the city. Marlena says that she saw something huge “eating people” while a TV newscast shows the giant moving creature dropping large spider-like parasites onto the ground, which immediately attack nearby humans. The foursome’s journey into Midtown brings them to a battle between the monster and military forces. Rob and his friends descend into the subway for safety and decide to walk the tracks to Beth’s building. In the darkened tunnel, they are ambushed by several spider creatures and Marlena is bitten badly. They escape and, fortunately, rendezvous with military officers. One officer informs them of an evacuation helicopter site, and reveals that the situation in the city is so out of control that it won’t be long before the government authorises a plan to destroy all of Manhattan in an attempt to kill the creature. Marlena dies gruesomely from her spider bite (she seems to become inflated and then explode) — something that deeply affects Hud.

The remaining three arrive at Beth’s partially toppled building, but must access it through another building and dangerously cross damaged rooftops high above Manhattan. They discover Beth, who has fallen and impaled her shoulder. After freeing her and fending off another parasite, they escape the buildings and board evacuation helicopters just as the giant creature attacks nearby. Lily is separated during the evacuation, with her escaping in a different helicopter. Flying above Manhattan as day breaks, Rob, Beth and Hud witness military planes attacking, and seemingly killing, the giant creature; however, the creature leaps out of the smoke plumes and swipes at the helicopter, causing it to crash in Central Park. Hud, Rob and Beth survive the crash, only to look up and see the creature towering over them. After the creature kills Hud, Rob grabs Beth and the camera and hides underneath a bridge. He gives a final testimonial to the camera and tells Beth that he loves her. An explosion rocks all of Manhattan and assumedly kills them both, and the camera is covered in rubble.

At the end of the credits, a small sound clip is played. Filled with static, 'Help us' can be heard faintly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

L.J.
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I think the wife and I are going tomorrow night. Giant squid monster huh...I'm there.

We went to see I am legend a couple of weeks ago. Although I really didn't care for the ending too much, I did jump out of my seat a few times. How embarrassing...but at the same time funny. Hey stop laughing.....it wasn't my fault they had the surrounds blastin' so loud :rolleyes5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
No, you're getting confused.

Thats the "Cloverwitch Project". 4 kids dress up like Lucky Charms, and chase a rabid Leprecauhn through lower Manhatten in search for the "Magic 8 Ball".
Screw it then. I'll just stay home and drink.

ForeverAutumn
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
From Wikipedia...

That sounds sucky. I was hoping for something much more suspenseful and mysterious.

Smokey
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM

There you go, I am with you! Remember that three day weekend is coming up (Monday is a holiday) :D

johnny p
01-18-2008, 05:14 AM
That movie looks terrible based on what I've seen.

GMichael
01-18-2008, 06:01 AM
That sounds sucky. I was hoping for something much more suspenseful and mysterious.

Didn't think you'd like the spider thing.
I'm not into the shaky camera thing. It would drive me nuts.

nightflier
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't know if I could sit through that jitter-camera thing either. Blair Witch gave me a headache, hell, even the second Bourne movie was a pain to watch (haven't seen the third). If Cloverfield had had a decent story, I might have forced myself to a discount theater, but I don't think it warrants full price. I can think of a lot of other places to spend $30 ($15 a ticket for me & the wife).

The last movie I saw in the theater was I Am Legend, and it certainly is a good storyline although the ending is way too Hollywood-tie-the-loose-ends-up. The sound (we were in a brand-new theater) was very good, by the way. One movie that looks promising is Vantage Point, but I am still waiting for a decent Sci-Fi movie to arrive and there really wasn't much worth seeing, renting or owning this past year.

JSE
01-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Cheers Mate! That's a great idea. I'm gonna try and give you a greenie for that! :cornut:

I'll bring the al-ky-haul!

I'll wait for this to hit HBO/Skinomax/Starz/Etc. Looks horribly bad.

JSE

L.J.
01-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, I just got back and.........................umm................... .....I thought it was OK. Kinda had you on the edge of your seat. It was OK.

BTW, it took me a while to get used to the camera jumping around :crazy: I was OK after the first few minutes.

Worf101
01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Took the whole famn damily to see it yesterday evening. It was good if not great. A good "B" movie monster popcorn muncher. The whole video backstory thing made you feel for the characters even though the story is about as plausible and faries and self milking cows. Ahem... but I digress. The best part of the movie is the running commentary of the erstwhile Fellini behind the camera.... Hud.

Hud gives the reponse to things that normal everyday people do. Lots of "oh chits" and WTF is that's?

Ole lady thought it was marvelous.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I saw it Friday night and I liked it too. Had no trouble following the hand-held camera because I concentrated on what it was focused on moreso than the motion. In fact, there were times when I almost yelled at Hud to pick the camera up, and a few times I found myself titling my head upwards in anticipation of him regaining his composure and getting back to the business at hand.

The *rescuing the damsel in distress* plot was played out well in my opinion. What I mostly liked about the movie overall was the fact that the highlight wasn't the CGI, and when it was used it was done so sparingly and with, at least in the beginning, obscurity. IOW, the movie wasn't billed as a special effects masterpiece ala Transformers, and I appreciated that as well as it's fresh innovativeness.

Yes, as Worf says it wasn't real plausible, but that's Hollywood...

3-LockBox
01-21-2008, 10:38 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
I'm holding out hope that it's a giant squid attacking the city

Giant squid huh...interesting. I guess if a few regular sized squids can wreak a little havoc, then a giant one could really cause a stir, although getting drunk, breaking sh!t and urinating on Manhattan isn't terribly original (speaking for myself, we did that in several port of calls). It doesn't eat people does it...that's might be a stretch, although I did know some crazy squids in my Navy days ("hey, I was drunk and experimenting").

I didn't know they still called sailors 'squids'.

Looks like the "Tailhook scandal" all over again.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Worf101
01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">

Giant squid huh...interesting. I guess if a few regular sized squids can wreak a little havoc, then a giant one could really cause a stir, although getting drunk, breaking sh!t and urinating on Manhattan isn't terribly original (speaking for myself, we did that in several port of calls). It doesn't eat people does it...that's might be a stretch, although I did know some crazy squids in my Navy days ("hey, I was drunk and experimenting").

I didn't know they still called sailors 'squids'.

Looks like the "Tailhook scandal" all over again.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Squids... just Taxi drivers for the Marines. As an Army Vet, I've little use for either of ya's!!! :ciappa:

But in that we all took Uncle Sams dollar at one point I'll give some grudging respect. Now if you really want to earn my undying devotion lets swap Shore Leave/ RnR tales of the P.I., Thailand and Australia... Then we'd be talkin'.

Da Worfster

Ah the Triple 7 club in Metro Manila.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2008, 06:43 AM
This thread's turning into an armed services SMACKDOWN!!!

3-LockBox
01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
lets swap Shore Leave/ RnR tales of the P.I., Thailand and Australia... Then we'd be talkin'.

Oh yeah...heh heh...LBFMs...

except for that there are LADIES PRESENT!

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh yeah...heh heh...LBFMs...

except for that there are LADIES PRESENT!

Who me? C'mon, try to shock me. I dare you!

GMichael
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM

OH! Can I try? Hopefully I won't get banned.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
FA, did you know GM follows you around like a happy little puppy? Does he know something we don't? Pics? :biggrin5:

3-LockBox
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM

You know, there are 900 numbers for women too.

ForeverAutumn
01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
You know, there are 900 numbers for women too.

That is shocking! I didn't know.

:)

GMichael
01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
FA, did you know GM follows you around like a happy little puppy? Does he know something we don't? Pics? :biggrin5:

I follow you too baby. Pant pant....:ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
01-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I follow you too baby. Pant pant....:ihih:
You're going to make JM very jelous!