Why harshness in a more expensive cable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why harshness in a more expensive cable?

Tetsuro
01-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I have some good cables from Van Den Hul but they today sound harsh on mine system (they are nearly 3 years old). I bought some cheap (but not overly cheap) cables that are more 'closed' but put out better voices and a more balanced sound. What do you think is the problem? The expensive cable has very good shape, like when they were new.

Feanor
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I have some good cables from Van Den Hul but they today sound harsh on mine system (they are nearly 3 years old). I bought some cheap (but not overly cheap) cables that are more 'closed' but put out better voices and a more balanced sound. What do you think is the problem? The expensive cable has very good shape, like when they were new.

Tetsuro, for a modest system such as yours, expensive interconnects and cables are an idiotic waste of money. Just get good, professional grade cables. At least for folks in North America, I recommend Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/). Their offerings are definitely professional grade, and come in custom lengths and even colors in some cases. They are, to my ear, as good as stuff from Kimber, QED, Ixos, and Monster that I've tried that are 3x-5x the price.

Tetsuro
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Wait I was talking about 6$ per meter vs. 3$ per meter cables. :D

Feanor
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Wait I was talking about 6$ per meter vs. 3$ per meter cables. :D

Certainly very cheap cables often perform poorly. I'm not big on very expensive cables, but I do recommend stepping up to the likes of the Blue Jeans. If your "$6/m" cables sound harsher than your "$3/m" cables, then suspicion falls on you up-stream component; that is, the better cable is filtering less of the grunge created by your CDP.

Tetsuro
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Certainly very cheap cables often perform poorly. I'm not big on very expensive cables, but I do recommend stepping up to the likes of the Blue Jeans. If your "$6/m" cables sound harsher than your "$3/m" cables, then suspicion falls on you up-stream component; that is, the better cable is filtering less of the grunge created by your CDP.

Then why it is perfect with the headphones if it is the source? :confused5:

Feanor
01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Then why it is perfect with the headphones if it is the source? :confused5:

I'll admit I can't give a definitive answer, (nor did I mean to do so earlier). Obviously there are a number variables, e.g. the speakers which might exacerbate grunge, the headphones, the headphone amp versus the main power amp. It could be any one or a combination of these factors, or for that matter, it could even be the cables themselves as you imply.

If you don't like the inteconnects, try others. I suggest professional grade , not pretensious "audiophile" grade, cables.

blackraven
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
There are also expensive cables like some of the monster cables which are just plain junk.
I agree, bluejean cables are excellent cables for the money. They are very neutral like a cable should be. You should be able to find some moderately priced cables that will do the job for you.

bobsticks
01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Sometimes, despite the best intentions of those in the cryogenic facility, the yak hair will become unfurled causing proton decay and ionic dissemination beneath the shielding. Less cosmopolitan audiophiles have termed the resultant fuzz or haze as "yak's breath", which is of course to be avoided at all costs.

Mr Peabody
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I think Feanor hit the nail on the head when he said the better cables aren't filtering out as much, or in another word, they are more detailed and showing a weakness some where in the system.

Why you don't hear the difference in headphones, which cables are you talking about, RCA between CD and amp? What headphones are they?

It could also just be a synergy problem too. Cables are very much system dependent. If the cables are harsh, don't use them and look for one that gives you the same positives without being harsh.

jim goulding
01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't want to add to your anxiety so let me say up front, try Blue Jeans, but I can relate. I replaced Belden cable from my transport to DAC with some more "high end" stuff cause I read a review, you know. Yeah, cool. a little more extended, a little more expansive. That is until I had my ears irrigated in November. Then I began hearing a little "digititus", at least that's what I think it is- a kind of metallic sheen on the top of high or sharp notes- that I don't hear with analog. Not on all discs, mind you, but enought to piss me off. Diana Krall, for example, altho I must admit I don't have her on analog but I do have her first recording and they are jacking up her presence range of late. Are we fools for excitement? So, the first place I'm lookin is to my digital cable. Who wouldn't want to look at the least expensive thing to replace first. Back in goes the Belden, but I'm not completely satisfied. On Saturday, I'm going to a meet of audio heads. The designer/manufacturer of Silkworm cable might be there. He knows my situation. Maybe I can get a demo loaner. If I learn anything, I'll share it here. Anyway, I could find it's something else, I suppose. I mean this is some f***** up s***! Otherwise, my system, my room, is fabulous.

blackraven
01-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Searching for the end -all cable is like searching for the holy grail! I think audiophiles and enthusiasts included are always critical and not quite entirely satisfied with our systems and are always looking for way to tweak it. Thats how companies like cable manufacturers make their money by playing on this tendency to be critical and never quite happy. Hell, just look at the article that just came out on peoples perception of wine and the cost per bottle. It shows how gulable we all are as a society! Its called PLACEBO EFFECT!

Tetsuro
01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
That is for sure but, apart from the ride companies, cables do make some differences. We have just to not waste money, over 20 euros/dollars per meter for me doesn't make sense. Just that.

blackraven
01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not denying that cables can make a difference in sound. All bad cables will make a difference in sound, its called distortion. Now sometimes this distortion is found pleasing to our ears and sometimes not. Good cables should not make a difference in sound. A good cable should not add anything to your music. It should not add any distortion that we hear as a change in sound.

diggity
01-18-2008, 01:43 AM
am i right in thinking you just upgraded some components in your system? i totally agree with blackraven in the placebo effect. when i first upgraded my cables to a better quality a while ago, i, like yourself, could swear there was lesser sound quality, but my mates and girlfriend couldn't hear any difference. the problem i feel was that i was expecting a massive sound difference, matching cable price. i was being over objective cause i spent even more money.

maybe this could apply to you as well? just a thought
cheers: daran

emaidel
01-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Sometimes, despite the best intentions of those in the cryogenic facility, the yak hair will become unfurled causing proton decay and ionic dissemination beneath the shielding. Less cosmopolitan audiophiles have termed the resultant fuzz or haze as "yak's breath", which is of course to be avoided at all costs.

This is far and away the best post in this thread!

Do cables make a difference? Of course they do, but price is a factor, and more often than not the price tags on "audiophile-grade" cables reach too far into the upper levels of the stratosphere for those of us yokels down here on the planet Earth.

My first truly expensive speaker cable was "Crystal" from Audioquest. It was exceptionally stiff and difficult to both connect to the amp and speaker, and very difficult to lie down on the floor. The sound? Very harsh and unpleasant, even after a significant amount of burn-in (though the harshness did soften afterwards).

I replaced that cable with Monster's "Z"Series speaker cable (which cost about the same - about $800 for two 12' lengths), and the results were instantly noticeable: much, much smoother, detailed and significantly less harsh sound with extended, deep bass.

Again, just my 2 cents...

blackraven
01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Geez, $800 for Monster Z's, I paid about $150 for 2x15' of Monster Z4's brand new off Ebay.

Tetsuro
01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
am i right in thinking you just upgraded some components in your system? i totally agree with blackraven in the placebo effect. when i first upgraded my cables to a better quality a while ago, i, like yourself, could swear there was lesser sound quality, but my mates and girlfriend couldn't hear any difference. the problem i feel was that i was expecting a massive sound difference, matching cable price. i was being over objective cause i spent even more money.

maybe this could apply to you as well? just a thought
cheers: daran

No it is not the case, the new cable is more smooth the other is harsh. I asked to mine father with a blind test and he noted some differences too.

smooth grooves
02-09-2008, 02:39 AM
A properly designed cable takes time to "break-in" and I use that term loosely because the cable is part of the system as a whole.

In truth, at least in the case of power cords the epuipment it is being used to power up will be able to utilize the energy it was wasting on distortion.

The larger the conductor the more electricity can flow.

You will be hearing some interesting things about our cables.