LCD and magnetic shielding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD and magnetic shielding

traugh
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
I was told by someone that LCD displays are NOT affected by magnetism. Does this mean that I don't have to use a shielded speaker as my center speaker?

Just want to be sure.

basite
01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
that, indeed is true.

LCD, or plasma or pretty much everything else that isn't CRT isn't affected by the speaker magnets.

however, if you have a pretty big center speaker, non shielded, that is, I wouldn't store the video tapes too close, if you still have video tapes...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

pixelthis
01-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I was told by someone that LCD displays are NOT affected by magnetism. Does this mean that I don't have to use a shielded speaker as my center speaker?

Just want to be sure.

Basite is right.
Crts use magnetic fields to aim electron beams and produce a picture, the magnetic
field from a non-sheilded speaker will interfere with that, puting a psychidellic
spray of colors on your set.
LCDS are just a bunch of gates, off they let light through, on they stop it, a magnetic field doesnt affect it at all.
But its still good to get sheilded speakers when possible, the others arent that important, but a center is isually near other gear, and an electromagnetic field could cross a wire and produce interferrence, and besides its just sloppy to have this stuff in your gear:1: