Another sub choice discussion... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another sub choice discussion...

notphilmitchell
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
We've moved into a new house and not only has my wife objected to having black speaker boxes perched on stands, but the "big ugly monster" sub (as she labled my Paradigm PS1200 sub) has to be hidden behind a chair. I am now going to purchase a slightly (physically) smaller sub. I need to do it online as we only have a Best Buy.

I have it narrowed down to these two:
A. HSU: STF2
B. NHT: Classic 10

They are comparably priced ($299 for the NHT, $349 for the HSU), brand new and I haven't heard either. I am using Paradigm AMS-250s (inwalls) for fronts and surrounds, a Paradigm CC-370 center and a Denon AVR2106 as my receiver. I use it about equally for both music (usually Diana Krall on SACD) and movies (usually kids movies and action/thrillers).

I'd appreciate any thoughts or input anyone might have. Thank you!

johnny p
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
save the money and get creative on hiding your Paradigm!

notphilmitchell
01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks! There just aren't a lot of places to hide it. It is just a bit too big to tuck in where it is allowed. I was even considering one of those (Polk? Boston?) in-wall/floor subs from Crutchfield.

I kind of liked the dark brown and slightly stylized look of the NHT. Perhaps, if I put a collar on it I could tell my wife it is the dog and move it into the open...

BC Dave
01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I have an even bigger sub (passive VMPS Original) that I thought my wife was going to scream at me for getting. But it's invisible, because I have my AV stand angled into a corner with the sub and its power amp hiding in the triangle behind the TV. Barring that, I am wondering if it wouldn't be possible to make a very solid, attractive box that looked like an antique trunk or something, and pop it right over top of that Paradigm sub. It wouldn't even need a bottom, just a top and four sides. Just a thought.

johnny p
01-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I use my sub as an end table next to the couch out of view unless you walk up to the television. Otherwise my wife would have nothing to do with it! I guess without knowing much about the room layout, I don't know what to tell you, b/c I have a hard time believing you'd benefit that much by replacing it with one of the two you mentioned.

johnny p
01-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I put these up for something else, but if you look at the 5th picture, it has my sub in it.... and from the pictures facing the T.V. you can tell that it's concealed by the couch. Not the best looking setup in the world, but it works for what space I have!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...1AZNHLly3asWJJ

blackraven
01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Look into the minivee by velodyne or the carver sunfire. 8' subs with 1,000 watts of power and 2,000 peak. They are very small subs as sound great. For a budget, the Mirage S8 sounds good. I also like the Martin Logan dynamo.