Mr. Brooks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Brooks

Groundbeef
01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Has anyone else seen this film? Got it on a whim from Netflix, not really expecting much, and was very pleased.

Kevin Costner is kinda hit or miss, but I think he turns in a solid performance, along with William Hurt.

If you have seen the film, what do you think about the ending? No spoilers here, but I think that if the film had ended 3 minutes prior, and William Hurt was in the room with the daughter, it would have been "Perfect".

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I rented it too and thought it was great! I may purtchase it I liked it that much. Mr. Brooks is as cold and calculating Mr. Lecter is as far as I'm concerned.

johnny p
01-15-2008, 10:14 AM
hmmmm I passed this one by thinking I had already seen it, and forgot it, but now I'm thinking I'm quite sure that I have not in fact seen it. I'll pick it up and see what's up!

Since you mentioned Net-Flix, do you they have an upgrade plan where you can get HD or Blu Ray disks?

Groundbeef
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
hmmmm I passed this one by thinking I had already seen it, and forgot it, but now I'm thinking I'm quite sure that I have not in fact seen it. I'll pick it up and see what's up!

Since you mentioned Net-Flix, do you they have an upgrade plan where you can get HD or Blu Ray disks?

Its not an "upgrade" as in -you pay more for it- you get them in your regular plan at no extra cost.

However, you only get to "choose" 1 format. So if you have both formats, choose the one you will watch most.

Also, once you choose a "default" HD format, it will pick that over regular DVD if available. Even if the HD format has a 2 month wait, and DVD is in stock.

johnny p
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
errrr...... that's an interesting system they have..... can you change the format (since I don't have Blu Ray now) once I get Blu Ray?

Groundbeef
01-15-2008, 04:36 PM
errrr...... that's an interesting system they have..... can you change the format (since I don't have Blu Ray now) once I get Blu Ray?

I would imagine so. I think you can "pick" individual films in either format without making it the default format.

Worf101
01-16-2008, 04:31 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed "Mr. Brooks" from beginning to almost end. The ending sucked so bad the old lady and I were throwing things at the screen. How to take a perfectly "good" movie and screw it up. Sigh...

Da Worfster

Groundbeef
01-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed "Mr. Brooks" from beginning to almost end. The ending sucked so bad the old lady and I were throwing things at the screen. How to take a perfectly "good" movie and screw it up. Sigh...

Da Worfster

Without spoiling it for anyone, do you mean the "END" as in the last 2-3 minutes.

Or the end, last 10 minutes or so.

There are 2 different "ends".

I felt it would have been better to have William Hurt in the room after the father/daughter scene talking with the daughter. Then end it right there. That would have been powerful stuff!!

The additional scene was a bit un needed IMHO.

johnny p
01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
O.K. you're all killing me....... Renting it when I get off work..... it's a cold nasty day anyways.

Groundbeef
01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
O.K. you're all killing me....... Renting it when I get off work..... it's a cold nasty day anyways.

Report back when your done!

Worf101
01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Without spoiling it for anyone, do you mean the "END" as in the last 2-3 minutes.

Or the end, last 10 minutes or so.

There are 2 different "ends".

I felt it would have been better to have William Hurt in the room after the father/daughter scene talking with the daughter. Then end it right there. That would have been powerful stuff!!

The additional scene was a bit un needed IMHO.

We CAN'T discuss the end/non end without ruining it for people. So I won't until a reasonable time has past..... Hurry up and see it ya squirrels!!!!!!

Da Worfster

Groundbeef
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
We CAN'T discuss the end/non end without ruining it for people. So I won't until a reasonable time has past..... Hurry up and see it ya squirrels!!!!!!

Da Worfster

Fair enough.

I PM'd ya. Take a look, and PM me back!

johnny p
01-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I PM'd ya. Take a look, and PM me back!

Underground Movie discussion!!! Well, my wife is picking up the movie before I get off of work, and I plan on getting comfortable, and laying around when I get home, so hopefully it's a good one!

Any other "must sees" that I would be able to find in the video store? New/Old, it doesn't matter. Anything that's a well kept secret in the film world?

thanks,

Groundbeef
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Underground Movie discussion!!! Well, my wife is picking up the movie before I get off of work, and I plan on getting comfortable, and laying around when I get home, so hopefully it's a good one!

Any other "must sees" that I would be able to find in the video store? New/Old, it doesn't matter. Anything that's a well kept secret in the film world?

thanks,

Depends upon the video store, and what you and the wifey are in the mood for. But this is a PG forum....

johnny p
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Depends upon the video store, and what you and the wifey are in the mood for. But this is a PG forum....

Ha! I bet. It's a Hollywood video, so I get the watered down mainstream selections, although they carry more Indy films these days. I guess I'll just watch Mr. Brooks, and look to the collection for another movie if I'm in the mood to make a night out of it. (the Collection isn't PG rated, but it's not XXX either!)

johnny p
01-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Finally watched Mr. Brooks last night.... it was alright, I wasn't blown away I guess. The three different places the movie could have ended all had their +'s and -'s so it didn't bother me the way it ended.

topspeed
01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought this movie was very good! Unfortunately, it's been so long I can't remember the ending you guys are debating about.

3-LockBox
01-28-2008, 01:10 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I saw this this weekend and I must say it was very good, though the ending could have been better. The William Hurt character made this movie as far as I concerned.

One of my fave lines in the movie is when Hurt says of Dane Cook's character, "Even if he were hysterically funny, I wouldn't like him." (just so happens Cook is a stand-up commedian in real life).
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

basite
01-28-2008, 07:50 AM
I actually liked the movie.

okay, the ending came from nowhere, and it was quite weird too, but overall, it definately was a good movie.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Like I said... an excellent depiction of a cold and calculating killer.