So The Golded Globes... WTF? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So The Golded Globes... WTF?

Worf101
01-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Because of the Writers Guild strike they had a press conference instead of an awards show? Wow... duh... Hunh? Wha? Can someone Splain to me what that was?

Da Worfster

johnny p
01-14-2008, 05:44 AM
well.... since they have 1,000 awards shows patting each other on the back, it was a good excuse to make headlines without the poor ratings that those shows get.

nightflier
01-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I stopped watching awards shows a long time ago. It's just an excuse to get people to sit through more commercials in between. Just read the paper the next morning and save yourself 3 hours of wasted time.

Heck, I hope they cancel the Academy Awards too. It's clear the studios are trying to squeeze the writers out of future revenues as everything will move online. I'm not always a fan of strikes, but I think the writers have a legitimate claim, here.

Not too many responses from this thread... Maybe that's an indication of how many people care about those GGs.

Woochifer
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Aside from the potential spectacle of seeing actors and actresses having to present and tell jokes without some scripted lines rolling on a teleprompter, it largely came down to not wanting to force the issue with a bad mix of no-shows and rich celebrities crossing union picket lines.

Since most of the nominees are also union members (SAG, DGA, etc.), the awards ceremony would have had a lot of no-shows. Anybody who did show up would have to cross a picket line, and endure a lot of bad publicity (and potentially get themselves black listed) since most of the A-list stars would have probably stayed at home.

Woochifer
01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
well.... since they have 1,000 awards shows patting each other on the back, it was a good excuse to make headlines without the poor ratings that those shows get.

Actually the Golden Globes and the Oscars generate huge ratings. I don't remember the exact dollar amount, but NBC had to turn back a huge chunk of money to their advertisers.

3-LockBox
01-22-2008, 01:03 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Yeah, I mean, where were the really lame, stupid jokes?

Oh TV writers, please come back and cherry pick older TV shows and movies for ideas.

Peter Griffin has better ideas.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>