Please help with room layout [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help with room layout

johnny p
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't have much to work with....... I took pictures from behind the surrounds, from the T.V. facing the surrounds, and the sub (which is to the right of the t.v.) to the left, facing the t.v. is a large picture window..... all of this prevents me from having a central listening seat. Also, you can't fully tell, but with the couch facing the T.V. it gives me no place for the large recliner (it takes up a lot of room when reclined, so it can't go against the wall where the couch currently is.... ) o.k. I don't have much time right now, so I'll put up the pictures, and if you guys can give me some feedback, and ask any questions to help visualize the room, I'll respond tomorrow. I didn't even have time to check out the pictures, so hopefully they're o.k.

Also, I'm using home-made plant stands for speaker stands, they're pretty nice, and work well (for the surrounds) the center speaker is just under the coffee table that is being used as a t.v. stand. Also notice that the t.v. stand is on top of a concrete slab because the t.v. is in front of a fireplace we don't use. The tweeter on the center channel JUST clears the wood trim on the coffee table/t.v. stand, so I'm sure it's muffling some sound, but because of the depth and length of the concrete slab, we're still shopping for a T.V. stand that will accomodate it. O.K. Hopefully that's enough info to start..... here's the pictures:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AZNHLly3asWJJ

Rich-n-Texas
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Wanna sell that Jerry Garcia blanket? :biggrin5:

johnny p
01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
nope.... My son, although too young to appreciate it right now, will get that someday! See Jerry on the mantle????? Gonna have to look again I guess!!!!!! He's even got his middle finger shorter on the right hand, al-la-Axe!!! the blanket is used, I do collect autographed memorabilia amongst other things from them.

This narrow room layout is killing me. I don't need to have the most pristine listening environment known to man, but I'd like to make the most out of what I have, and since I can sit directly facing the center channel without having the surrounds next to me (not behind) I'm thinking there has to be a better set up for this room.

johnny p
01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
wow... I just looked at the pictures, I'm a terrible photographer!!!! the last picture has the surrounds to each side, next to the chairs, guess you can't see them, but you can see parts of the stands. I should have picked up around the place before I took pictures.... but I guess the secret is out.... I'm no Pepsi man.... Coca Cola Classic it is!

Rich-n-Texas
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
One thing's for sure JP, ya gotta get that center channel up & out from under the table and off the concrete slab.

I thought I had pictures in the member gallery that shoed my CC up on Auralex Mopads but I can't find them right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

johnny p
01-14-2008, 05:16 AM
It's on little rubber foot pads (just the little ones that came with it) problem is, the higher "up" I put the Center channel under the table, the more the tweeter will be blocked..... It's getting partially blocked right now. The Mantle isn't deep enough, I can't put the t.v. on the wall etc. b/c of the wife, and I can't leave the center channel in front of the stand because I don't want it out in the open like that, and the Nanny has a 3 year old, and again... b/c of the wife!

Rich-n-Texas
01-14-2008, 05:36 AM
You poor guys with your WAF dilemas. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my solution. Gets it about 8 - 10" off the floor:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_CCphoto37_04.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/CCphoto37_04.jpg)

johnny p
01-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I like that solution, but I don't have the physical space unless I set up the t.v. somewhere else so I can put a very large stand behind the T.V.

Rich-n-Texas
01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Just keep in mind johnny that your CC is the most important speaker when watching movies with multi-channel out. Is that the best room in the house for an HT setup? The only other alternative I can see is yes, get a new entertainment center that'll accomodate all of your equipment including your TV.

johnny p
01-14-2008, 07:41 AM
I have a secondary system in the basement, and although the basement is finished, it's an accoustical nightmare, so I'm not going that route. I guess a new entertainment center is in order, but I have to find one that will fit on the concrete slab (the one on there BARELY fits, so I need something with a solid bottom, and not feet)

Fortunately I see they make entertainment stands that aren't nearly as deep as they used to be because the makers have began to realize Flat Panel/Slim Televisions are common-place, so the very deep entertainment stands aren't necessary.

These are all 24" deep, which is great. 5 years ago, any stand this large would have been closer to 36" deep.
http://shop.arhaus.com/carty/?r=0&c=Smithfield&w=STORAGE_COLLECTIONS

nightflier
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree with the center channel being the most obvious problem, so far below the L&Rs. The fact that it's not centered is another issue. Here's something you could try before you buy a better cabinet: how about placing the CC on top of the cabinet with the TV on top of it? If the TV height is adjustable on its stand, you might want to lower that to minimize the increase it picture height. I know it's not elegant, but at least you can listen to it that way and decide if that's the problem you're unhappy about.

johnny p
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
The Center has the same shape as the L/R and it has the tweeter on top, so I can't possibly put anything on top of it. I will see if I can adjust the stand though, because I didn't know I could!!!! if I can, I will jack it all the way up and put the center in front of it.

johnny p
01-15-2008, 05:51 AM
I've checked, the t.v. stand isn't adjustable, and there is no way the t.v. is going on top of it. It's new entertainment stand time!