Best Race Car Film. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Race Car Film.

Smokey
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Was watching the race car movie Driven with Sylvester Stallone, and it gave me an idea for a poll :D

Must admit that haven’t seen some of movies in the poll, so might need a helping hand choosing the best Car race track movie. Driven had alot of over the top action sequences, but sorry to say it didn’t have any substance. However movie have reference quality DVD image.

http://www.indypartnership.com/photogallery/indycar.jpg

Luvin Da Blues
01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Tha's funny you mentioned Sly. Flippin' channels last night, I got caught up in the cheezy "Deathrace 2000" and Slys' acting was as bad as always (OK OK, he has improved a little over the years).

Totally off topic and not a race or car (motorcycle) movie but I thought "The Worlds Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins was a great speed film.

3-LockBox
01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I voted for Speeway, though I was thinking of the film Spinout, which is another Elvis movie and costars terminal cutie-pie Shelly Fabares. Spinout's better anyway.

jrhymeammo
01-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Tha's funny you mentioned Sly. Flippin' channels last night, I got caught up in the cheezy "Deathrace 2000" and Slys' acting was as bad as always (OK OK, he has improved a little over the years)..

He was hilarious in that movie.

Cool cars, fake blood, naked girls, and David Caradine being dreamy as ever. What more could anybody want?

Troy
01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
I am a hardcore race fan. I'll watch any kind of racing, provided it's on some kind of machine. I dislike the way NASCAR has seemingly rubbed out all other forms of American motorsports with it's jingoistic political agendas and the foisting of the drivers personalities upon viewers, as if that's more important than the actual racing on the track.

Most racing films are utter garbage. Similar to many other sports, when racing is depicted in movies, there's no way the faked drama can match the reality of the sport. That real drama is why we watch sports.

I picked "Le Mans". It is by far the closest thing to what racing is really like.

The first 15 minutes of "Grand Prix" with James Garner and the big crash at Monaco is fantastic too. Great real 60s footage. Too bad the movie's like 3 hours long, overflowing with tedious and gooshy love triangles.

Also, the 60s indy 500 flick "Winning" with Paul Newman (this film gave him the itch to start his racing career) is quite good too. Awful love story, fantastic racing segments.

My favorite hokey racing flick is the early 60s stock car flick "Redline 7000" with James Caan. It's hilarious.

3-LockBox
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Similar to many other sports, when racing is depicted in movies, there's no way the faked drama can match the reality of the sport. That real drama is why we watch sports.

I agree. I can count the number of sports movies I'd ever want to see again on one hand - and then coming up with five might be a challenge.

topspeed
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
LeMans is the easy winner here. Few racing movies come close. Honorable mention, "Heart Like a Wheel" which chronicles Shirley Muldowney's rise through top fuel drag racing.

Smokey
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Looks like LeMans get the top vote. Have not seen it, so may have to vote by absentee ballot :D

Couple of surprise in this poll that Elvis’s Speedway got two votes, while Cars did not get any. Thought it might get one just for visual. Oh well, I guess the king still reign.

Troy
01-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Make no mistake, Cars is my 2nd favorite Pixar film (behind only The Incredibles), but I loved it for the Route 66 aspect, rather than the racing aspect. The racing was childish and silly, but they nailed the look, historical and emotional wallop of desert America, bypassed by the Interstates.

Rent Le Mans, any fan of racing will love it.