Phono preamp recommendation for NAD C 352 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Phono preamp recommendation for NAD C 352

kaplanyo
01-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Greetings! This is my first posting. I'm new to audiophile type activities but a long time music lover. I've been looking for a setup where I can play vinyl, cds and mp3s over an Apple Airport Network through iTunes.

I just purchased a NAD C352 and now I'd like to connect my turntable. Does that mean I need a phono preamp like the NAD PP-2? Do I just connect that to the AUX input?

Or is there another brand you would recommend? To be honest, I read some good reviews and there is a shop near me that had it on 'sale' so I ran in (just before they closed) and purchased it. I didn't think to ask about the turntable connection.

I've got the CD and iTunes working and so far and whoah the CDs sound way better than the mp3s, even imported 256(vbr). I guess it's almost silly to think about mp3 and good sound... it's nice to hit the random button tho and let iTunes run through a library.

If I had purchased the NAD C162 would I still need the phono preamp? I saw that after I started looking into the NAD PP-2.

thanks! I'm looking forward to any advice you can give.
dave

JohnMichael
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Dave welcome to AudioReview. Your C352 is an integrated amp which is a pre-amp and power amp in one box. The C162 is a pre-amp so owning this and the C352 would be a little redundant. You could purchase a phono pre-amp for less than the money spent for the C162. Yes you would need the NAD PP-2. Another suggestion would be the Cambridge Audio 640Pfor under $200. It has been called a giant killer in affordable phono pre's.

Feanor
01-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Greetings! This is my first posting. I'm new to audiophile type activities but a long time music lover. I've been looking for a setup where I can play vinyl, cds and mp3s over an Apple Airport Network through iTunes.

I just purchased a NAD C352 and now I'd like to connect my turntable. Does that mean I need a phono preamp like the NAD PP-2? Do I just connect that to the AUX input?

Since I'm broke and don't do very much LP listening, I decided to go as cheap as possible for a phono preamp. I was looking for used copies of stuff from NAD, Cambridge, Pro-jec, etc. All these have decent reputation in the entry level PP market.

But I took a hint from an AR member, herm0016, and went with a TCC TC-750 (http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html), and am very pleased. Ridiculously good for the money. Note that the TC-750 is for moving magnet cartridges only, however.

kaplanyo
01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
thanks guys!

I'm going back to the same shop today to see what they have in stock. Otherwise the audioadviser site looks pretty good.

JohnMichael,
if the C352 is both a pre-amp and power amp does that mean if i bought a C162, only a pre-amp, i would need to get a power amp to work with the C162? just curious... i don't quite get the pre-amp, power amp relationships yet. :-)

thanks again to both of you for responding.