Front Center Speaker Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Front Center Speaker Question

Chrono
03-02-2004, 04:02 PM
How important is it to have a center speaker with two speakers plus a tweeter vs. a regular two way satalite speaker as your center channel?

Thanks

joel2762
03-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Well for better dispersion I would guess. So you get equal sound. There's nothing wrong with using a regular speaker, I don't think that there would be a noticeable difference between the two. Remember no matter what you use it must be the same brand/timber match to your main speakers. Just look at this

o O O o O
( ) /\ /\ ( ) /\
( ) / \ / \( ) / \
( ) \ / ( ) \
/ \ / \ / \
l-----------------l l---------------------l
Best Soundstange Best Soundstage

See, you'll get better focused sound with a real center channel. If you had two alike bookshelf's and laid then on the side so the tops were touching you would have a setup identical to a center channel.

joel2762
03-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Sorry about that, it didnt come out like I typed it..

Woochifer
03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
The only reason why a center speaker is arranged in the WTW horizontal arrangement is for dispersion while lying flat on top of a TV. Ideally, you would have three identical speakers up front, but most setups have the TV sitting exactly where the third speaker would ideally go. That's the only reason why we have horizontal center speakers. If you have your TV situated in the middle, then you go with a horizontal center speaker. If you have the TV high mounted, and have room for a speaker identical to your mains, then you should go with that.

Willow
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
the front channel helps ancre the verbal to the tv for the off axis viewers. so you don't need a centre. If you are getting or have one...
1- timbre matching is almost a must
2- if you are going to use a regular speaker you might encounter some sound offset you'll have th tweet. on one side and the mid on the other which are both directional. You may want to stan it up on the tv or underneath and angle it so the tweet is facing your ear level.
3- you can buy 2 speakers and lie them down.