Sub placement question? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub placement question?

MCF
01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I have my SV Subs PB12+ and it is located in the back left corner of the room (which is where my power supply and signal line are located. The question is, how far from the side wall and back wall is 'ideal' if there is such a thing???

GMichael
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
You may think I'm crazy for what I'm about to suggest. (Especially given the weight of that sub)
Put it where you would normally sit. Then crawl around the room until you find where it sounds best. Put your sub in that spot. Hopefully, it won't be in the middle of the room.

MCF
01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
You may think I'm crazy for what I'm about to suggest. (Especially given the weight of that sub)
Put it where you would normally sit. Then crawl around the room until you find where it sounds best. Put your sub in that spot. Hopefully, it won't be in the middle of the room.

Sounds like a plan but it would be pretty difficult to move that sub around...also, where I sit there is carpet and the sub is sitting on hardwood so I am sure that makes a big difference as well....

kexodusc
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a plan but it would be pretty difficult to move that sub around...also, where I sit there is carpet and the sub is sitting on hardwood so I am sure that makes a big difference as well....
Not much really...the presence of carpet isn't going to absorb much, if any of those low frequencies. The nature of the soundwaves produced at those frequencies tends to diminish the carpet's effect.
What GM suggests is the golden rule for sub-placement. Of course where the sub sounds best and it where it can go in practice are often 2 different things. If you insist it remain in the corner than I'd recommend you just keep it a few inches out from the walls - maybe a foot or so if there's a port firing out one side. Experiment a bit and see what sounds best. My subs are located aobut 5 inches from the rear wall, I've noticed no ill effects placing them against the walls, but your room acoustics might reveal some unique results. Reflections are less of a concern with non-directional frequencies, we generally want more breathing room from walls with speakers, but for subs we can get away with less.
Many people jam subs into corners for the reinforcement and room mode excitement that provides. YMMV.

MCF
01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Not much really...the presence of carpet isn't going to absorb much, if any of those low frequencies. The nature of the soundwaves produced at those frequencies tends to diminish the carpet's effect.
What GM suggests is the golden rule for sub-placement. Of course where the sub sounds best and it where it can go in practice are often 2 different things. If you insist it remain in the corner than I'd recommend you just keep it a few inches out from the walls - maybe a foot or so if there's a port firing out one side. Experiment a bit and see what sounds best. My subs are located aobut 5 inches from the rear wall, I've noticed no ill effects placing them against the walls, but your room acoustics might reveal some unique results. Reflections are less of a concern with non-directional frequencies, we generally want more breathing room from walls with speakers, but for subs we can get away with less.
Many people jam subs into corners for the reinforcement and room mode excitement that provides. YMMV.

Thanks...the sub as two 12" downfiring subs with three ports (1 plugged) on the back...so it is better to keep the ports closer to the wall and give them some room?

I could also just turn the gain up a little on the sub (it's only at about 15%) and then turn gain up on reciever...it is only at +5dbA out of +10dbA if I want more 'crushing bass'..hehe

kexodusc
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks...the sub as two 12" downfiring subs with three ports (1 plugged) on the back...so it is better to keep the ports closer to the wall and give them some room?

I could also just turn the gain up a little on the sub (it's only at about 15%) and then turn gain up on reciever...it is only at +5dbA out of +10dbA if I want more 'crushing bass'..hehe
Okay, if it has ports, you want to give the ports room...if their too close to the wall, you can end up hearing a huffing noise as the air blows out against the wall...could aim the ports towards a more open area to alleviate that concern, but that might show an ugly side of the sub? If the airflow isn't that strong at your loudest volumes though, it won't be much of a concern. You don't want to impede the air flow, and at 1 foot, I'm guessing that won't happen unless you're moving some serious air mass out of those ports :)