speaker stands help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker stands help!

Bigmoney
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I have heard that the b and w dm602 s3 speakers benefit from sturdy speaker stands. I am using the b and w stands that were made for them with carpet spikes on a carpet. However they are not very sturdy and easily wobble if touched. What DIY or ineexpensive options are there for making my stands sturdy to get the best performance from my speakers?

basite
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I have heard that the b and w dm602 s3 speakers benefit from sturdy speaker stands. I am using the b and w stands that were made for them with carpet spikes on a carpet. However they are not very sturdy and easily wobble if touched. What DIY or ineexpensive options are there for making my stands sturdy to get the best performance from my speakers?

can you fill them with sand? are all screws tightened? if not, then try to tighten them, and when you can, fill the stands with sand...

other DIY inexpensive options: well, yeah, completely DIY... draw a thing and then build it :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Bigmoney, I'm not familiar with the B&W speakers stands, so I kind of wonder why/how they wobble. Are they too small? Are they not rigidly bolted together?

In many cases speakers stands have hollow tubes between the bottom and top plates, and these tubes can be filled with some material, e.g. clean, dry sand. I don't know whether applies in your case. The effect is to weigh down stands making them more stable and also reduce vibrations from the speakers themselves which aren't good for the sound.

Bigmoney
01-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Everything is tightened maybe I should try filling the stands with lead shot. Also I have hear of building a wooden platform to lay underneath the stands for stability. How does that idea strike you? Any other ideas?

Feanor
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Everything is tightened maybe I should try filling the stands with lead shot. Also I have hear of building a wooden platform to lay underneath the stands for stability. How does that idea strike you? Any other ideas?

Try the lead shot or an alternative such as dry, clean sand, kitty litter (also so clean & dry :D ) or the like. A platform under the existing base might help, but the new platform ought to be on spikes instead of the existing base; could you remove the spikes from the built-in base and redeploy them to the new, larger platform?

Bigmoney
01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
That is possibly feasible. What do you think about removing the old platform and and screwing the stand down to a new base such as a a thick large wood block. I would screw use the holes for the spikes.

johnny p
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
have you taken the spikes off, and gone without them? What B&W stands are they? I have the 705's and the 700 series speaker stands they make, and they weigh a TON.

Bigmoney
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I am using the 602 s3 stands. They are heavy, no filled however. They stand on my carpet which is not tighty woven and I don't think the spikes go deep enough or have enough of a firm surface to grasp to. What do you think about placing a block say a square foot and drilling the stand to it?:confused5:

johnny p
01-11-2008, 06:11 AM
are the spikes removable?

Feanor
01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I am using the 602 s3 stands. They are heavy, no filled however. They stand on my carpet which is not tighty woven and I don't think the spikes go deep enough or have enough of a firm surface to grasp to. What do you think about placing a block say a square foot and drilling the stand to it?:confused5:

Your carpet seems to be the problem. It's highly undesirable that the your speakers wobble, both from a stability and a sound perspective. My guess is you ought to add a wider base/platform under the built-in base, but remove the spikes from the original then attached it solidly to the wider wone. If the original spikes aren't reusable on the new platform, then get speakers spikes from, e.g. Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=139).

Filling with sand, shot, or whatever, sounds necessary too, at least in order to ensure that the stands are solidly engaged with the floor under the carpet.

Bigmoney
01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Thank you and yes the spikes are removeable. Where can I get lead shot cheap?

johnny p
01-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm gonna use Kitty litter for mine........ I don't need the weight really, but I'm gonna do it anyways, and cheap kitty litter is..... well.........."cheap" !!!!