Acoustic panel covering problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic panel covering problem

Rich-n-Texas
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
The problem is... I can't seem to find any locally that's the right size. Seems like most of the craft stores only sell smaller cuts (not by the yard), and the fabric store I stopped in today sells it for $2.99/yard, but it's a 48" width and folded in half. I asked the woman if she agreed with what I've heard that you can't iron out the creases, and she said yes. So my last resort is to order it from ATS Acoustics, which is where I got the OC 703 24" x 48" panels, but they want more than twice the amount that the local JoAnn fabrics store wants. I've done a LOT of online searching but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

kexodusc
01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
ATS Acoustics is where I got it from...the stuff I could find locally wasn't quite as nice, or consistent as theirs. Don't skimp out...
Some folks have had success with various on-line fabric retailers but I had a hard time finding any.

Rich-n-Texas
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
And if I read L.J.'s post right, he also purchased from ATS. Just wish they'd offer a little bit of a break on shipping charges, or at least a free atsacoustics t-shirt.

I've got one more fabric store to try on my way home, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

kexodusc
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
It's not so unreasonable if you buy it by the roll, and compared to what I could find locally, it was slightly thicker, less...well, ratty stuff. I had to pay to ship it to Canada, too..not cheap.

What color ya getting?
The real savings comes getting something other "off-brand" OC703 if you can find it. I saved well over 50% getting slightly better stuff from an industrial A/C supplier that didn't mind my small order. As I understand it, most people aren't able to track down a supplier in their areas though :(

Rich-n-Texas
01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I didn't want to have to spend a lot of time on the phone and traveling around looking for HVAC supplers, although now that I think about it I probably could've gotten connected through our Facilities or Site Services people here at work, so I just went ahead and bought the panels from ATS. The owner seems like an honest guy just trying to make a living, and I have a soft spot for people like that.

It's not so unreasonable if you buy it by the roll, and compared to what I could find locally, it was slightly thicker, less...well, ratty stuff.
I suspect that when you say ratty you mean a more coarse look and feel, which is how the burlap at the store is described. I have a feeling it's the real "wrap your sappling tree in it" type of material.

Because I'm trying to follow a Southwestern theme for the living room (lots of earth tones, wood furniture and bookshelves...etc) I'm going for the color described as natural because I think it will match well with the furniture and Parchment wall paint. I may also buy one of their designer fabric coffee sack covered 2' x 2' panels because I think they'd fit the scheme, and I'm a big coffee drinker as well. I just hope I can get all the DIY panels to look as good as some I've seen here and at ATS. I look at these panels as multi-functional, so to me it's worth the cost and effort.

johnny p
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Since your screen-name suggests you live in Northern Mexico, head south...... everything is cheaper down there right???!!!!!!

Did you try this though? get it by the case? http://www.acoustimac.com/products.asp

Feanor
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
The problem is... I can't seem to find any locally that's the right size. Seems like most of the craft stores only sell smaller cuts (not by the yard), and the fabric store I stopped in today sells it for $2.99/yard, but it's a 48" width and folded in half. I asked the woman if she agreed with what I've heard that you can't iron out the creases, and she said yes. So my last resort is to order it from ATS Acoustics, which is where I got the OC 703 24" x 48" panels, but they want more than twice the amount that the local JoAnn fabrics store wants. I've done a LOT of online searching but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Buy a yard of it from the local store and determine experimentally whether, in fact, the crease won't iron out. (Do this by actually ironing the stuff :biggrin5: )

Gosh, I'd hate to have clothes, drapes, or whatever, made from the stuff if those original creases can't be removed.

Rich-n-Texas
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Since your screen-name suggests you live in Northern Mexico, head south...... everything is cheaper down there right???!!!!!!
Naa, I'd probably get run over by an illegal!!!

Did you try this though? get it by the case? http://www.acoustimac.com/products.asp
I got a case of six from ATS for $79 + shipping. I noticed that at Acoustimac:

Western united states buyers will pay an additional $10 per case as shipping cost a lot more !!

Rich-n-Texas
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Buy a yard of it from the local store and determine experimentally whether, in fact, the crease won't iron out. (Do this by actually ironing the stuff :biggrin5: )
I should try that. The woman at the store seemed to know what I was talking about. She was very agreeable with me when I mentioned the problem with creases in burlap.

Gosh, I'd hate to have clothes, drapes, or whatever, made from the stuff if those original creases can't be removed.
I remember there was a girl in high school, who had a weight problem (and an odor problem too :yikes: ) who we used to make fun of by telling her we could see her burlap underwear.

I came from a cruel neighborhood. :ihih:

L.J.
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
And if I read L.J.'s post right, he also purchased from ATS. Just wish they'd offer a little bit of a break on shipping charges, or at least a free atsacoustics t-shirt.

I've got one more fabric store to try on my way home, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yup, I went with ATS. They do get you with the shipping, but what ya gonna do :)

kexodusc
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
FYI, with some steam, a good iron, and a lot of patience, you can iron out creases in burlap...of course, I think they sort of work themselves out over time too if laid flat.