Looking for new discoveries [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new discoveries

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Okay friends, I'm looking for some new (to me) discoveries. Help me out. Who should I be paying more attention to? New or old, doesn't matter.

Josh Ritter is already on my list. I put Animal Years on my Xmas list but Santa didn't deliver that one so I'll have to pick it up on my own.

Finch Platte
01-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Knowing you and your tastes, I think you'd like the new Planet X disc, Quantum.

Taut & muscular, it's prog at its loveliest, w/ keyboards featured over guitar work (not that there's anything wrong with that). Much better than their last release, Moonbabies, it features Allan Holdsworth (guitar) on a couple of tracks, w/ Jimmy Johnson & Rufus Philpott sharing bass duties (he said "dootie" henh henh).

AllMusic sez: You may also find the music veering a little more into fusion territory and less into the metal-fusion genre established by the Magna Carta label — and all for the better. In fact, Quantum is a quantum leap above previous Planet X releases: stronger compositions (tighter and less flashy), more diversity across the album, better-dosed excitement.

It's one of my favorite releases (he said "releases" henh henh) of 2007, and I think you'd dig it. And oh, yeah- no vocals.

Samples here. (http://www.xplanetx.com/whatsnew.html)

fp

kexodusc
01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Does it have to rock, or are we open to Jazz/Classical genres as well?
There's trying something new, then trying something different.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Does it have to rock, or are we open to Jazz/Classical genres as well?
There's trying something new, then trying something different.

That's an excellent question! I was referring to new rock but I'd be open to classical or jazz if you think that there's something that I should hear. I'm all for expanding my horizons.

I won't listen to Opera. A girl's gotta draw the line somewhere.

Duds
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I know you like Kyuss, so check out the new Hermano cd when it comes out. It's John Garcia from Kyuss. I like this one much better than the last disc.

Javier
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Hiromi´s time control a jazz/rock fusion with some fiery piano perfomances, with a sound sometimens reminiscent of weather report but with some stelly dan humor on it.
Rodrigo and Gabriela a acoustic guitar duo with a collage of sounds from metal to latin.

JSE
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey FA, ventured over to RR.

I will second Rodrigo and Gabriela. Cool latin, classical, metal-ish blend if that makes sense. They can both play the hell out of a classical guitar. I think they used to be roadies for Metallica. Cool stuff.

Paradise Lost - In Requiem..... Great album. A little prog-ish with some old school metal mixed in. Great music and very little screaming. There older stuff is more "techno" but this last album is pretty good.

Machine Head - some of their stuff is to much for me in terms of death vocals but some select songs are really great. (Now I Lay Thee Down, Halo, Desire to Fire, Elegy, Descend the Shades of Night to name a few)

Redemption - Cool prog stuff. Similiar to Porcupine Tree.

Seemless - One of my favorite bands. The albums "Seemless" and "What We Have Become" are both great. Just a good old fashion, funky, kindof bluessie metal band. Definitely check them out.

Anyway,

JSE

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey FA, ventured over to RR.

To what do we owe the honour?

Redemption - Cool prog stuff. Similiar to Porcupine Tree.

I have The Origins Of Ruin. Indeed, cool stuff.

That Paradise Lost disk sounds familiar. Maybe 3-LB mentioned it at one time? Not sure.

Davey
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Moo_You_Bloody_Choir_Cover.jpg

Don't know if you've seen much of our talk around here lately about them, but the latest from Aussie band Augie March might be something you'd like. They have kind of a late-period Split Enz sound, you know, Time & Tide with "Six Months on a Leaky Boat", or the next one with "Conflicting Emotions". Good stuff. Some fun Kinks sound, and bits of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley. I think they even played Australia last year on the Crowded House reunion tour. Maybe a bit too many strummy guitars in this latest one, but most of the songs still stand out with good melodies, always poetic lyrics, and good singing. Classy music.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Don't know if you've seen much of our talk around here lately about them, but the latest from Aussie band Augie March might be something you'd like. They have kind of a late-period Split Enz sound, you know, Time & Tide with "Six Months on a Leaky Boat", or the next one with "Conflicting Emotions". Good stuff. Some fun Kinks sound, and bits of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley. I think they even played Australia last year on the Crowded House reunion tour. Maybe a bit too many strummy guitars in this latest one, but most of the songs still stand out with good melodies, always poetic lyrics, and good singing. Classy music.

You can never have too many strummy guitars IMO. Besides, there's not enough classy music in my collection. I'll check it out. Thanks.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Hiromi´s time control a jazz/rock fusion with some fiery piano perfomances, with a sound sometimens reminiscent of weather report but with some stelly dan humor on it.
Rodrigo and Gabriela a acoustic guitar duo with a collage of sounds from metal to latin.

Based on the music found on My Space, Hiromi didn't do much for me but I really liked what I heard of Rodrigo and Gabriela. Amazon.com has their CD with a bonus DVD for $9.99. Its in my shopping cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.

3-LockBox
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, if you haven't purchased any Shins in the past, you really must, especially if you liked DCFC. Their first CD sounds like they were channeling XTC.

And you'll love Beardfish. Not just another Swedish prog band. Lead singer has a great voice.

Try Gruff Rhys too. That's an actual guy's name, not the name of the band. He's from Super Furry Animals.

Davey
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
You can never have too many strummy guitars IMO. Besides, there's not enough classy music in my collection. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Here's my first purchase of 2008. Love these guys, especially that quirky first one. Only $12.95 postpaid from cd-wow ... not exactly too classy though :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61pCHlNEf1L._AA240_.jpg

3-LockBox
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Here's my first purchase of 2008. Love these guys, especially that quirky first one. Only $12.95 postpaid from cd-wow ... not exactly too classy though :)

Do they still sound like the Psychadelic Furs?

Davey
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Do they still sound like the Psychedelic Furs?

Yea some, sure. Maybe more like Echo & The Bunnymen on the last record, but Bowie and Pere Ubu too depending on the song, and who sings. Even a bit of the Who. Good band. I think FA already discovered them, though.

3-LockBox
01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey FA, there's a Canadian prog outfit called The Rebel Wheel...

maybe you seen 'em around?

edit: I looked them up on their MySpace site and who is listed among their friends...

Mr Van Allen Belt himself, our very own Troy P. :lol:

So maybe you won't like 'em after all...;)

Actually I liked what I heard; kinda fushiony, but they don't bludgeon you with it.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Well, if you haven't purchased any Shins in the past, you really must, especially if you liked DCFC. Their first CD sounds like they were channeling XTC.

And you'll love Beardfish. Not just another Swedish prog band. Lead singer has a great voice.

Try Gruff Rhys too. That's an actual guy's name, not the name of the band. He's from Super Furry Animals.

Shame on you for not paying attention to my best of 2007 list where The Shins made the #2 spot in the category of Non-prog/Metal. :cornut:

Beardfish is already on my list to check out based on your previous comments. And I'll take a look at Gruff Rhys (cool name!). I like the little SFA that I've heard but their CDs tend to run on the high side (price wise I mean) so I've never purchased any.

I'm already a big British Sea Power fan (love the Bowie influence) but didn't realize that they had a new album out. I'll pick that up for sure.

Canadian Prog? I had no idea!

Mike
01-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Hey thanks for the heads up on British Sea Power Davey didn't realise they had a new one out, one for the wishlist methinks.

FA you might like Newton Faulkner his album came out last year called Hand Built by Robots lots of samples on Myspace for you to try.

And there's lots of under $1 copies of Augie March on Amazon used and new but that doesn't make it a dud, it's still a fine album there must be lots of promo copies kicking around to offload.

Cheers
Mike

Swish
01-09-2008, 08:07 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Moo_You_Bloody_Choir_Cover.jpg

...to recommend it myself until I saw your reply. This is right up her alley.

Swish Baby

Davey
01-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm already a big British Sea Power fan (love the Bowie influence) but didn't realize that they had a new album out. I'll pick that up for sure.

Yea, I thought so. But don't go looking yet cause it's not out until next month here in the US. My copy from cd-wow ships Mon, Jan 14, which is the UK release date. I haven't heard it yet, but advance reports and early reviews are loving it, placing it closer in sound to the first one, and making silly predictions like contender for best of 2008 :)

http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=2260

Finch Platte
01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
...I really liked what I heard of Rodrigo and Gabriela. Amazon.com has their CD with a bonus DVD for $9.99. Its in my shopping cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.

Well worth it for the DVD alone. Lots of live/how to stuff on it that's just crazy.

So....? Planet X ring your chimes? :confused5:

fp

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Well worth it for the DVD alone. Lots of live/how to stuff on it that's just crazy.

So....? Planet X ring your chimes? :confused5:

fp

Haven't had a chance to check out Planet X yet. But if it's a rec from you its pretty much a gimme that I'll like it. I'll head back over to My Space tonight. I try to avoid My Space and Facebook at work.

Davey
01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
And there's lots of under $1 copies of Augie March on Amazon used and new but that doesn't make it a dud, it's still a fine album there must be lots of promo copies kicking around to offload.

Yea, unfortunately they are on Sony, so it's mastered kind of loud and compressed. Shame since it was apparently done by Greg Calbi and Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, two masters and a place that is responsible for some of the best sounding music of the past. The keyword being "past". Sony does seem to flood the place with promos, so you're probably right. I hate paying someone for a promo, but I have on occasion when that was the only way. And I did get my copy for under $5 new from the amazon marketplace when it finally got a release here back in August (almost a year and a half after Aus), but it's not a promo.

I already posted a link to Junkmedia about the BSP record, but I recall they had a nice little interview with one of the Augie March guys not too long ago to go with their 5-star review, so let me look em up ...

Review (http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=2130)
Interview (http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=2139)

Feanor
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Okay friends, I'm looking for some new (to me) discoveries. Help me out. Who should I be paying more attention to? New or old, doesn't matter.

Josh Ritter is already on my list. I put Animal Years on my Xmas list but Santa didn't deliver that one so I'll have to pick it up on my own.

FA, since you're open minded, I suggest contemporary classical -- or classical in general for that matter. Check out my helpful list: Feanor's 250 Classical Compositions (http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.html).

See the 'Category' column to locate the Contemporary composers and their recommended works. A recent discovery for me was Sir Harrison Birtwistle's Earth Dances -- highly recommended.
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Birtwistle_small.jpg

OK, let's be clear: contemporary classical isn't for dabblers. It's an acquired taste, like olives or beer, but I'm sure you can handle it. BTW, I'm with you on opera, at least where just listening is concerned; I only buy opera on DVD.

Davey
01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
"... seven rhythm-charged compositions with the exotic, sensual ambience of the Middle East. Blazingly original music and audiophile quality sound by one of the world's top electro-acoustic artists ..." [from the liner notes]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MMGS9DVBL._AA240_.jpg

Another nice one you can usually find on the cheap at amazon marketplace, something that Mike and I have talked about before and I think both of us really like, Robert Rich Seven Veils. It's a 1998 instrumental release on the Hearts of Space label that I have seen described as "ancient music from another planet", which may not be far off. A blend of Middle Eastern percussion and constantly changing ambient atmospheres, textured with his lap steel guitar and bamboo flute, along with others contributing cello, violin, bass and the occasional searing electric guitar. A very high level of melodic and rhythmic sophistication on this album will keep you exploring it for a long time. Soothing and captivating at the same time, and easy to get lost in. Topped off with incredible sound quality to make it even more atmospheric.

Duds
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Check out Clutch's latest one "From Beale Street to Oblivion" very very cool disc. start with that, and if you like, check out Robot Hive/Exodus, and then Blast Tyrant.

Their old stuff is great too, but different then new stuff.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Check out Clutch's latest one "From Beale Street to Oblivion" very very cool disc. start with that, and if you like, check out Robot Hive/Exodus, and then Blast Tyrant.

Their old stuff is great too, but different then new stuff.

There's an indie CD store (used and new) across the street from my office and the guy who owns it is usually good for recs in the prog and metal genres. He recommended Clutch the last time that I was there and even played a sample from the CD for me. I told him to put it on my wish list (he keeps a list of everything I buy, what I liked and didn't like, and what I want to buy in the future...then he calls me when stuff comes in that he thinks I'll like - it's a great customer service concept!).

I'm listening to one of his recs right now. The band is Pagan's Mind and the album is Infinity Divine. A nice listen if you like Iron Maiden...very similar vocals and lots of racing guitar.

3-LockBox
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
(he keeps a list of everything I buy, what I liked and didn't like, and what I want to buy in the future...then he calls me when stuff comes in that he thinks I'll like - it's a great customer service concept!).

Yeah right...like he does that for anyone else but YOU. :ihih:

Ex Lion Tamer
01-09-2008, 02:57 PM

Well I'm stoked, (Do people still say stoked?), especially that it sounds more like album#1 than #2. Thanks for the heads-up.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah right...like he does that for anyone else but YOU. :ihih:

I'm sure that he sees dollar signs everytime I walk in the door. I seldom leave there without at least a half dozen disks. It's like a drug dealer seeing his best junkie customer walking up the street with a pocketful of cash.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
That Paradise Lost disk sounds familiar.

I figured out why Paradise Lost sounded familiar. Its the name of Symphony X's last CD. An excellent disk too! As for the band Paradise Lost, thanks for the rec but from what I can tell by the samples on My Space, it's nothing that isn't already being done better by bands like Symphony X and Riverside.

I put Animal Years in my Amazon.com shopping cart last night and they upped the price by $3 overnight. Rat bastards! Might as well just order it from a Canadian site now.

Hey Finchy, I like that Planet X stuff. I see what the review meant about veering into fusion territory. I generally like vocals, but I can see how this would be better without any vocals to get in the way.

JSE
01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I forgot to mention Baroness, Red Album. They are a strange mix of Mastodon meets Rush meets..........wait for it..........Rob Zombie? The singer's voice just kindof reminds me of Rob Zombie.

Duds
01-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Hey FA, I'm going to throw this one out there, even though some of the vocals are "cookie monster" like. Isis - In The Absence Of Truth. Long, dark, depressing type songs, very little vocals, and like i said some are growly, some are regular. The music is fantastic though (I personally think the vocals are too, but you all know how I fell about that by now, lol).

Davey
01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Do people still say stoked?

Only middle-aged Canadian men. You know, the Loverboy generation :)

Speaking of Canadian bands, also just pre-ordered the new 2-CD special edition of Black Mountain - In The Future from Swish Daddy's favorite deepdiscount. Out down here Jan 22 in 1-CD, 2-CD, and 2-LP versions. Kind of a proggy looking cover, eh? :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fori6JbcL._AA240_.jpg

ForeverAutumn
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the recs folks (you can keep the suggestions coming if you think of any others).

I have placed the following order with my indie record guy across the street...

Riverside - Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome
Beardfish- Sleeping in Traffic, Pt. 1
Planet X -Quantum
Josh Ritter - Animal Years
Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir

These should start trickling in next week.

He couldn't get the DVD version of Rodrigo y Gabriela so I'll order that one from Amazon.

While I was there I purchased:
Pink Floyd Redux (used for $5.99)
Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra (listening now, very cool retro kind of rock. He promised I'd like it and I do).
Clutch - Blast Tyrant.

Happy Ears!!! :)

Slosh
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey FA,

If you want a good quality Lame VBR preview copy of The Animal Years click here (http://www.mediafire.com/?bmxntcmodei).

bobsticks
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
How does the new Augie sound in comparison to "Strange Bird"? Zat von eest spinning right now and I likey veddy, veddy mooch mate. If the new one is similar it could go immediately to autopurchase status...

NP: http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/uploadedImages/Wolfgangs_Vault/Crawdaddy!/Copy/Articles/Issue_122/Ex-Post-Facto-large.jpg

Davey
01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
How does the new Augie sound in comparison to "Strange Bird"?

Strange Bird is better I think, more diverse. The high points are higher for me. At first I thought it was a lot better, but the more I listened to the new one, the more I appreciate it. It's more expansive sounding, more instruments, more of the strummy guitar I mentioned above. Nothing much rocks very hard on the new one, but a good rocker or two on Strange Bird. Both good, in their own ways. I have a buddy on another board who likes the new one better. Hard to call, very subjective.

3-LockBox
01-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Shame on you for not paying attention to my best of 2007 list where The Shins made the #2 spot in the category of Non-prog/Metal. :cornut: !

I don't know how I forgot that when I commented on it in your thread :idea:
It makes me want to go back and buy up their back catalog.

I think you're going to like that new Beardfish. I bought it based on samples I heard and that's it. There wasn't that much buzz about it over at PE.

Mike
01-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Strange Bird is better I think, more diverse. The high points are higher for me. At first I thought it was a lot better, but the more I listened to the new one, the more I appreciate it. It's more expansive sounding, more instruments, more of the strummy guitar I mentioned above. Nothing much rocks very hard on the new one, but a good rocker or two on Strange Bird. Both good, in their own ways. I have a buddy on another board who likes the new one better. Hard to call, very subjective.

You see I'm with yer buddy I prefer the latter it's more mainstream, more approachable and definitley more strummy. But then we do walk different sides of the same street as we've discussed before, but yer right about the sound.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey FA,

If you want a good quality Lame VBR preview copy of The Animal Years click here (http://www.mediafire.com/?bmxntcmodei).

Hey thanks Slosh, my furry friend! I'll do that over the weekend. Cheers!

Davey
01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
But then we do walk different sides of the same street as we've discussed before

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Hey, just got the new Radiohead "In Rainbows" (or not so new for my mp3 embracing bretheren) and really liking it. Probably the only adventurous and chart topping band since Nirvana that I can say that about. So Mike, what are some of the CDs that got your attention this last year? Recently for me, it's been all about Life Without Buildings and Radiohead. And some past glories from Three Mile Pilot ....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/67503.jpg

jonnyhambone
01-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Yea, Life Without Buildings!! though it sounds even older than it is...they embody that great late 70's/early 80's sense of discovering an authentic music that was fun, feminist (viewpoint-wise, not political/theoretical so much), and just rockin' out. Have made me pull out, and crank up, ol' Patti Smith albums and the Raincoats first one.
I've also been really diggin' on the new Fiery Furnaces and, mellower but still pure-love-of-music, Robert Wyatt (Comicopera).

Davey
01-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Yea, Life Without Buildings!! though it sounds even older than it is...they embody that great late 70's/early 80's sense of discovering an authentic music that was fun, feminist (viewpoint-wise, not political/theoretical so much), and just rockin' out. Have made me pull out, and crank up, ol' Patti Smith albums and the Raincoats first one.
I've also been really diggin' on the new Fiery Furnaces and, mellower but still pure-love-of-music, Robert Wyatt (Comicopera).

Yea, you're right, LWB did capture that late 70s feel that many of the new bands drag into the modern day, and lose. I've never really heard a singer like Sue Tompkins before. Her delivery sounds almost like she's reimagining the songs each time I hear them. Always fresh and fun. I'm gonna have to track down that Raincoats record you keep mentioning because I must've missed it back then. I've also been meaning to pick up Comic Opera for a few months, but haven't. Need to move that up my list. I read some comments on another board that it was mastered pretty loud and that turned me off some because he can make some very gentle music that shouldn't be pushed in your face. Guess it must not be that bad. What do you think of the sound on that CD?

Got Life Without Buildings winding down right now, the "Sorrow" and "New Town" encore is just so great, especially Sue's exchanges with the audience leading into the last one. And the new Iron & Wine has been playing today too, thanks to one of the good people around here. It is good. Nice sounding CD, and so is LWB with lots of room left to crank it up.

Davey
01-13-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna have to track down that Raincoats record you keep mentioning because I must've missed it back then.

Wow, that's gonna cost some big bucks for a copy of that Raincoats CD. Apparently it's kind of rare these days, $50 or more on ebay. Have to keep an eye out. Wonder if there are many vinyl copies out there. Sounds good. You mean this one, right?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WVK8TWQSL._AA240_.jpg

basite
01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi FA :)

well,
Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim, I think you should definately listen to that. I thank Bernd for sending me this cd, the man knows how to choose his music :)
Katie Melua - Pictures, just got this cd, it's been playing every day since, and what a beautiful recording...

some jazz:
Herbie Hancock - river: The joni letters
Elan Mehler - Scheme for Thought, in some reviews I read, they were all talking about 'a revelation', so I bought it, and I agree with their statement.

and some more funky jazz:
Herbie Hancock - Head hunters

and a must have classical piece:
Stravinsky - The firebird, pick any well recorded version.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jonnyhambone
01-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow, that's gonna cost some big bucks for a copy of that Raincoats CD. Apparently it's kind of rare these days, $50 or more on ebay. Have to keep an eye out. Wonder if there are many vinyl copies out there. Sounds good. You mean this one, right?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WVK8TWQSL._AA240_.jpg

thats the one...I actually like Odyshape and the Kitchen Tapes a lot too but probably hard to find also...I only have Kitchen Tapes on the Roir released cassette (remember how they only put out cassettes?!). I'd love to find ony of those on vinyl.

Comicopera sounds really good to me. I have the vinyl so it may not be as hot as the cd...true, very gentle music.

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi FA :)

well,
Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim, I think you should definately listen to that. I thank Bernd for sending me this cd, the man knows how to choose his music :)
Katie Melua - Pictures, just got this cd, it's been playing every day since, and what a beautiful recording...

some jazz:
Herbie Hancock - river: The joni letters
Elan Mehler - Scheme for Thought, in some reviews I read, they were all talking about 'a revelation', so I bought it, and I agree with their statement.

and some more funky jazz:
Herbie Hancock - Head hunters

and a must have classical piece:
Stravinsky - The firebird, pick any well recorded version.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Thanks Bert. I've tried to listen to Sigor Ros on several occasions. I even have a copy of (). They bore me. I had () on my iPod and even on shuffle I found myself skipping the songs. I gave up and took them off my iPod.

I'm already a fan of Katie Melua. My husband got her new disk for Xmas, but I haven't heard it yet.

Herbie Hancock, eh? I've never paid much attention to him. Although I did see him perform as part of Ringo Star's All-Star band one year and I really enjoyed his contribution to the performance.

kexodusc
01-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Herbie Hancock, eh? I've never paid much attention to him. Although I did see him perform as part of Ringo Star's All-Star band one year and I really enjoyed his contribution to the performance.

Well, you're gonna get an opportunity to listen to him soon...any day now...if you don't like Herbie Hancock, you don't have funky bone in your body.
Hmmm...wonder if that's a bad thing?

Mike
01-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Hey, just got the new Radiohead "In Rainbows" (or not so new for my mp3 embracing bretheren) and really liking it. Probably the only adventurous and chart topping band since Nirvana that I can say that about. So Mike, what are some of the CDs that got your attention this last year? Recently for me, it's been all about Life Without Buildings and Radiohead. And some past glories from Three Mile Pilot ....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/67503.jpg

I’m liking the Radiohead too it’s their best for years IMO and my personal fave of the year, a nice recording too with some great sounds. I had the mp3 version but opted to buy the CD on the day it came out although I didn’t agree with the DIY cover it came in, what a pointless exercise. Other sounds I’ve been listening to this year are a lot of the obvious ones like Andrew Bird, Wilco, Arcade Fire, Shins, The National, and Spoon etc. But there have also been some good albums by new and established British bands I’ve enjoyed this year like The Twang, Klaxons, Arctic Monkeys, Idlewild and Babyshambles. But here are 3 I’ve particularly enjoyed.

Maximo Park – Our Earthly Pleasures, came out early and got kind of overlooked but it’s a solid effort, lead singer Paul Smith comes across like a Jarvis Cocker/Pulp for the noughties.

Maccabees – Colour It In, a debut album with a really energetic and tight sound it’s had the same impact on me as the Bloc Party debut. Can’t say the same about the Bloc party follow up though, which leaves me cold.

Editors – An End Has a Start, didn’t do much for me at first but I keep coming back to it and it’s a grower. .

Other fave sounds for the year are Blonde Redhead, Tunng, Booka Shade, Field Music, Richmond Fontaine, Go Find, Fujiya & Miyagi, Iron and Wine and LCD Soundsystem. And finally special mention for Lucinda Williams for her latest, and Kings of Leon which I think is their best yet, all in all not a bad year.

Still haven’t done a year end comp yet, partly cos I’m still picking up some CD’s from last year I missed, seems like every week I read about something Band of Horses – Cease to Begin is the latest and now 3 Mile Pilot.

Cheers
Mike

JSE
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Just checked out Thought Chamber (Angular Perceptions) and all I can say is Wow! Incredible album start to finish. Great prog stuff with same really amazing guitars. I need to look into these guys more.

JSE

3-LockBox
01-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Just checked out Thought Chamber (Angular Perceptions) and all I can say is Wow! Incredible album start to finish. Great prog stuff with same really amazing guitars. I need to look into these guys more.

JSE

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is the only one with Ted Leonard handling vox; he is also lead singer for Enchant.

opt80
01-21-2008, 09:30 AM
FA, Luke Doucet has a new release Luke Doucet and The White Falcons ~ Blood Too Rich Also check out Malcolm Holcombe ~ The Gambling House

Mrs Steve Earle(Allison Moorer) has a cover album MockingBird due in late Febuary as does Sister,Shelby Lynne,who does a cover of Dusty Springfield songs

Alan

ForeverAutumn
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
FA, Luke Doucet has a new release Luke Doucet and The White Falcons ~ Blood Too Rich Also check out Malcolm Holcombe ~ The Gambling House

Mrs Steve Earle(Allison Moorer) has a cover album MockingBird due in late Febuary as does Sister,Shelby Lynne,who does a cover of Dusty Springfield songs

Alan

Thanks Alan! I knew that Luke had a new CD in the works but didn't realize that it was out already. We saw him back in the Fall and he was testing out some new material to get audience response as to which songs would make the cut for the CD. It'll be interesting to hear which of those songs are on it.

ForeverAutumn
04-08-2008, 10:09 AM
To Javier and JSE, thanks for the Rodrigo y Gabriela rec. I finally got this disk yesterday and have been spinning the CD all morning. These cats can play! And the music is even more wowing when I realize that all of the percussion sounds come from their guitars too.

I can't wait to find the time to watch the accompanying DVD.

Duds
04-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey FA - you ever listen to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals??

ForeverAutumn
04-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I have not.

It sounds like a JK Rowlings book. :)

Duds
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Check her out, she is great. From Vermont, awesome voice, plays a bunch of different instruments.

check this link out, its her with Joe Satriani doing Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q

I have not.

It sounds like a JK Rowlings book. :)