best speakers pairing with NAD 720BEE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : best speakers pairing with NAD 720BEE

01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts for best all-round speaker pairing for NAD 720BEE and C542? Mid-size living room set up with low to moderate listening levels (with the occasional blast when no one's home!). All musical genres. Budget is up to $1,000US.


01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
HI. I have a pair of Mirage M-290's and a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M-80's hooked up to my C720BEE. Both sound fine, although both speakers do different things better than the other. I'd recommend a new pair of Mirage bookshelf speakers, but there is really nothing that they currently make that is close to the M-290 at least where bookshelf speakers are concerned. I think that the bookshelf speakers they make now are more designed for surround sound as opposed to using small speakers as "main" speakers. With that said, I'd probably put the Paradigm Studio 20's on the list. I'm sure there are a bunch of speakers in your price range, I just know if I was looking for a pair of speakers in the $1000 range or under, I'd be very interested in them. Good luck.

01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Magnepan MG12's for $1100! If you have never heard planar speakers go listen to them. No box speaker for $1,000 can compare. Just make sure your amp can handle a 4ohm load, otherwise- B&W, Paradigm, NHT's, Epos to name a few of the many speakers available in that price range.

01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry, I just checked , that NAD receiver does not have enough power to drive the Magnepans. Must have about 100wpc for good sound.

01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks much Mark and blackraven,

There's a Paradigm dealer about an hour's drive from here. They also carry NHT's. I'll give them a call for an audition.

Thanks, again. Happy listening!

01-09-2008, 04:28 AM
It's been said that PSB goes well with NAD. I've heard PSB and I have NAD, but I still haven't heard them together. But. each on their own, they do quite well and there's no reason to believe that the synergy would not be great.

Besides, the speaker makes up 95% of what you hear, with most of that remaining 5% falling to room dynamics and placement.. Let that be the determning factor.