New guy. Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New guy. Help!

jbl-fx
01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Luis and I'm new to this forum and to the world of Home Theatre. Well kinda. I've had my Sharp projector and a DVD/Surround Sound system for a while, but I recently purchased a Sony STR-DG800 Receiver. Its suppose to decode five different Dolby Digital signals and four DTS. I hooked up a Denon LA-2300 Laserdisc player and a JVC DVD player to it. When I play a disc or dvd coded with DTS I get no sound! This was one of the main reasons I got a receiver, to listen to some awesome DTS surround sound :( Shouldn't the receiver detect this automatically? Also, this receiver did not come with the remote(planing to get one soon). And I cant access some settings with out it. Could this also be part of the problem? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry, one more thing. The laserdisc player has the AC-3 RF out for Dolby Digital. I researched a little last night and it looks like I may need something called a RF modulator or de-moldulator. Is this true?

f0rge
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
your dts problems sound like they are settings related, in most receivers you can choose the input type, ie. digital/analog/auto. if the receiver is set to analog you will not get any sound if you're inputting a digital source (optical or coax).

i'm not familiar with the model so i cant say how you might change that setting.

pixelthis
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Luis and I'm new to this forum and to the world of Home Theatre. Well kinda. I've had my Sharp projector and a DVD/Surround Sound system for a while, but I recently purchased a Sony STR-DG800 Receiver. Its suppose to decode five different Dolby Digital signals and four DTS. I hooked up a Denon LA-2300 Laserdisc player and a JVC DVD player to it. When I play a disc or dvd coded with DTS I get no sound! This was one of the main reasons I got a receiver, to listen to some awesome DTS surround sound :( Shouldn't the receiver detect this automatically? Also, this receiver did not come with the remote(planing to get one soon). And I cant access some settings with out it. Could this also be part of the problem? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry, one more thing. The laserdisc player has the AC-3 RF out for Dolby Digital. I researched a little last night and it looks like I may need something called a RF modulator or de-moldulator. Is this true?

Most dvd players have a setting in the setup menu where it says dts= yes/no
You have to select yes, dont ask me why, but if you dont say yes on this menu item you wont get any DTS . Might check that out, good luck:1:

RoyY51
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I know this may sound a little too basic but I have been guilty of this before...did you access the setup menu of your dvd disk for options? If dts is available on your dvd, it usually defaults to dolby digital, and you have to manually change the setting to dts. However, most of the dvd's that I have are not encoded with a dts option, so my choices are usually limited to dd english or dd french (if that).

Just a thought.

jbl-fx
01-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I did that. All I can think of is that I need the remote to get to the other seetings. Thanks.