Anybody pick up any stand-out new vinyl lately? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody pick up any stand-out new vinyl lately?

nobody
03-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Just though I'd ask if anybody out there picked up any new vinyl that stands out lately.
I just grabbed the new record from <b>Telefon Tel Aviv: Map of What is Effortless</b>, and was very impressed with the quality of the pressing and packaging. 2 fairly heavy LPs, perfectly flat, extremely silent, gatefold cover, even a heavy plastic slip cover to hold it all in that was integrated into the design of the packaging. it's on a label called Hefty Records.

The music's good too in my opinion. I've heard mixed things about it, but it's an interesting mix of electronics with laid back R&B, backed by a live orchestra.

Anyway, it really grabbed my attention and reminded me there is still some really high quality vinyl coming out today. Anyone else have anything that has caught their eye or ear?

Dave_G
03-02-2004, 12:00 PM
No, but Saturday I went to the local indie shop and they had a copy of the new Deep Purple album, "Banannas", on vinyl for $28.99!!!

I freaked out!

It was fun to hold and look at.

Dave

nobody
03-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Damn, I hate that. I buy vinyl a lot, and have came across plenty at cheaper-than-CD prices, but every once-in-a-while, they really try to screw ya. Seems like it's usually either imports or audiophile issues that do it. Domestic stuff, I've been pretty lucky with. I was wanting Dizzee Rascal on vionyl, but they wanted 25 bucks for it, as opposed to 12 for the CD, so I grabbed the CD. As long as the vinyl is arounf $15 or less, I'll grab it. If they wanna charge double, I have to pass. Maybe after I win the lottery, I'll start grabbing those high dollar records, but not now.

Sealed
03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
I picked up 47 Lp's yesterday!

They range from $5.00 to $9.00 each. NONE are scratched. (Some were really dirty though)

I got a cornucopia of things from Decca, Ace of diamonds, Telarc, RCA living stereo,Blue note etc.

I spent hours cleaning them all manually, because my LP cleaning machine won't be in for a while.

DMK
03-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Damn, I hate that. I buy vinyl a lot, and have came across plenty at cheaper-than-CD prices, but every once-in-a-while, they really try to screw ya. Seems like it's usually either imports or audiophile issues that do it. Domestic stuff, I've been pretty lucky with. I was wanting Dizzee Rascal on vionyl, but they wanted 25 bucks for it, as opposed to 12 for the CD, so I grabbed the CD. As long as the vinyl is arounf $15 or less, I'll grab it. If they wanna charge double, I have to pass. Maybe after I win the lottery, I'll start grabbing those high dollar records, but not now.

I don't buy much new vinyl - most of what I'm interested in is just too expensive. I'd love to support the medium better since it produces better but they're going to have to come down on the prices. Only the very best performances get me to pay twice what the music costs on CD, even though the music sounds twice as good.

jbangelfish
03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I'll buy some new or recent releases as long as they aren't too expensive. I've found remakes of old vinyl to be not as good as the original and many agree with this. To pay $30 or more for a remake just doesn't seem worth it and definately not if you can find a clean original copy for $10 or less.
Bill

Sealed
03-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Beethoven’s 9th- Solti/CSO London/Decca) 1972 original master recording

Eva Cassidy/songbird… 10000 print limited edition/ heavy vinyl

Elgar concertos/ Jacqueline du pre/EMI

Pink Panther/ Mancini/Rca dynagroove

Linda Ronstat/for sentimental reasons/asylum

Glenn Miller story

Queen greatest hits

Steely Dan 1972/78

They are flawless condition, and I paid $80 for the lot.

Audio Girl
03-13-2004, 11:09 PM
New indie LP with great sonics:

The Mountain Goats "We Shall all be Healed"

check out www.insound.com

Sealed
03-14-2004, 12:30 AM
ARTIST
TITLE
LABEL

Paul Simon :D
Graceland
WB

U2
Joshua Tree
Flood

U2
Rattle and Hum
Island

Chuck Mangione :D
Feels so good
A&M

Herb Alpert
Rise
A&M

Dave Grusin
Mountain Dance
GRP

Miles Davis
Greatest hits
CBS

Fuse one
Fusion
CTI

Tom Scott
New York Connection
Ode

Chuck Mangione
Fun and games
A&M

Rickie Lee Jones :D
Self titled
WB

Steely Dan
Aja
ABC

Willie Nelson :D
Stardust

Dire Straits: :D
Brothers in arms

All titles with :D I have listened to, excellent recording, spotless records.