New Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Receiver?

johnny p
01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
I know my b&w's are power hungry, so would a Marantz 7001 be enough, or 8001? or should I look even bigger? Funds are tight, so I don't want to break the bank, but accessories4less has these at a reasonable deal.

thanks,

blackraven
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm no expert on marantz receivers, but I would think that 110-125wpc would be fine.

hydroman
01-07-2008, 12:08 PM
If you like the current features - why not just buy an amp to run the mains?
(Using pre-outs from the current reciever (assuming it has them (probably a good assumption()))).

johnny p
01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I must admit that I have very little audio knowledge, and don't know the first thing about setting up a separate amp....... how do I control the audio levels for my different speakers (if I only get a 2 channel amp for instance) to still get 5.1 surround? Will a quality amp increase my sound quality through my basic receiver? How much do amps run? I may be better off with a new receiver....

sorry for the jr. level questions.

blackraven
01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Check out www.outlawaudio.com for some nice affordable quality multichannel amps that are in your price range.

johnny p
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
again I'll apologize for my ignorance, but those don't seem in my price range..... I'd have to pay more for an amplifier than a receiver that has 125w/channel from them..... and My current Receiver has 90 W/channel I believe... not sure, it seems that upgrading now might be more for the clarity rather than power...... I don't think adding power to this unit would be beneficial....... at least not marginally so..... I don't know...... CONFUSED!!!!! I'm gonna get kicked out of the house if I keep spending money though....... I've purchased my B&W 686's HTM7, and 705's within the last couple months..... and she's (the wife) started asking me if I'll ever be "happy" I am... but I want to get the most out of what I have, but I also have a pile of speakers sitting around in the basement that will become a second system if I can replace my current Receiver......

blackraven
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
If money is tight, stick with your current system. 90wpc is alot of power. You only use very minimal power to drive your speakers. Stick with the sony for now and when you get the money upgrade. There are many receivers and reasonably priced separates that will give you much better sound with a similar power rating as the sony. That model sony is a few years old if I remember correctly and only had average ratings.

I'd consider upgrading your CDP over that receiver first. You might be very surprised at the difference in sound with say a marantz 5001 CDP or a used cambridga audio 640c or musichall 25.2 cdp

hydroman
01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
On my H/K reciever i have pre-outs for each channel. I would use the two main pre-outs to an external amp (my NAD fr'instance) and hook the main speakers to the amp. In the reciever set up i would adjust the main speakers down and the surrounds up until an adequate balance was reached. Then just use the reciever volume. If i could not get it to balance - i would use my pre amp to fine tune the amp output.

Then go buy a garage sale reciever for the basement! $5!

johnny p
01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Appreciate it!!!! I'm an idiot with all of this stuff, and I don't want to pay someone to set up a receiver/amp/pre-amp/eq/etc etc etc...... but one day I might actually figure all this stuff out!!!!

A guy I know told me had a Sony 6.1 (that's what he called it, so I have no idea how junky it is) that he's replacing, and it's 2 years old... he said $50 so that sounds like it will work out well in the basement!!!!

frenchmon
01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi

I wood think the Marantz would be fine pushing your speakers. It is 125 watts per in 8 ohms. I've heard guys say their Marantz have no problem with 4 ohm speakers.

The sensitivity on the 686 is 84dB spl (2.83V, 1m)

And the 705's which you may be using as mains are even easier to drive at 89dB spl (2.83V, 1m) Recommended Amplifier Power 50W – 120W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

You will be just fine with that reciever...Get the SR8001, and enjoy and be happy. The wife will come to love it after she's watched a few of her good chick flicks....you may even get some good quality time in the process.:cornut:

frenchmon

johnny p
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
We have a 2 month old..... there's no such thing as good quality time anymore (if you're referring to what I think you are!!!) Times are good though!!!!!

f0rge
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
adding a seperate amp is actually very easy, you still use your receiver's volume knob to change the volume just like you always have. you'll just have to re-adjust the levels in in your receiver for HT, like you probably did when you first set up the system.

that being said, if your preamp stage (in this case your receiver) is only so-so you would be better off with a good all around receiver, and i think the marantz would work quite well at 125 WPC.

johnny p
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
excellent.... I'll save up some coin!