Niro 1.1Pro or is their a better system for $800 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Niro 1.1Pro or is their a better system for $800

Ryan in WI
03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm looking to start building a home theater sysyem. I currently have an old receiver and speakers that the wife describes as end tables. Has anyone purchased this sysyem or can you recommend another system for under $800. I would like to watch movies and occasionally listen to music with this system. My family room is 14 X 15.

Thanks

samgupta
03-02-2004, 05:38 PM
One place you might want to try Cambridge Sound Works. They have some packages in the price range you are looking. I heard one the other day at a friends place--seemed like a good product for the price he paid (about $750).

Good luck!

JSE
03-02-2004, 06:19 PM
If your starting to build a HT system, why not invest in 2 mains and a receiver first. You can add a DVD for cheap. I think you would be far more happy with 2 good front speakers than with a sub par 5.1 set up. Get the 2 fronts first, then add the center and then the surrounds as money allows. You can throw a sub in there to at some point. You might want to look at the Athena series at Best Buy. They are pretty impressive and a extremely good value.

The Niro system is interesting but I am always wary of gimmicks. I can't believe it could sound better than two decent bookshelf speakers and a decent sub.

JSE