Smooth Jazz Anyone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Jazz Anyone

Scott W
01-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm getting old and my days of Pink Floyd,Hendrix etc. are pretty much over although I do give it a listen once in a great while.The last few years I've really started to like smooth jazz,There was a local station up till about a year ago(St.Paul/Mpls. area) but they changed their format so now I listen to Watercolors XM radio 71 that comes free with the satilite tv.I don't like everything that is played on this station but there are a few artists that I enjoy quite a bit so I'd like to ask for some recomendations for similar artists.Here is a list of some of my favorites.
Paul Hardcastle
Euge Groove
Pete Belasco
Soul Ballet
Stanley Clarke
Also I like some of the R&B artists
Natalie Cole
George Benson
Al Jarreau
Maysa Leak
XM radio is great for not having the commercials but most times the only way to know the artist and song title are to turn on the tv and check the guide.Any ideas would be appreciated.:16:

Luvin Da Blues
01-05-2008, 07:02 AM
If you like R&B check out

Clarence Carter
Joe Tex
Wilson Pickett
Ray Charles

then there is,

Otis Redding
Lou Rawls
Billy Preston
Otis Clay
Percy Sledge

and one of my favs..The soundtrack to the movie "The Commitments"

bobsticks
01-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Check out Richard Elliott or Jeff Golub. Both play smooth stuff without drifting too far into elevator fare. Both give a healthy nod of respect to "old school" styles.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I'd suggest Marcus Miller, fabulous bass guitarist. He has an album on Telarc, M Squared. On the same label check out Pat Coil. I don't think you can go wrong with Bob James or most Crusaders albums. I also like Dave Grusin a lot. If you like the Fusion side of Stanley Clarke and want a bit of some spice I love Al Dimeola, one of the best guitarist of any genre, Jean Luc Ponty or Chic Corea, him, Clarke and Dimeola were in a group called Return To Forever that had some interesting albums. Herbie Hancock has some good stuff too but his career goes through a lot of phases so you may want to listen to some samples first to be sure it's your cup of tea. Most of these suggestions would not be consider "Smooth Jazz" but I think you would enjoy them. I did get turned on to Rick Braun, a trumpet player who got regular air play on Smooth Jazz stations. In the more traditional Jazz sound, acoustic with stand up bass, piano and sax, I like Scott Hamilton a great deal. Along the same with trumpet I'm a Roy Hargrove fan.

I don't have many Jazz vocalists, I can suggest Anita Baker who I enjoy. I think she is more considered R&B but quite a set of pipes.

Jack in Wilmington
01-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Just picked this up at the local music shop.

Scott Colley ------ Architect of the Silent Moment

Smoooooooooth as butter. Check it out at CdUniverse.com

salad 419
01-05-2008, 10:07 AM
The Crusaders are awesome. I listened to the Southern Comfort album quite a bit around the mid '90's. One guy at work pointed out that one of the tracks is used in a Beastie Boys loop.

If you're into the fusion style, Melvin Sparks is also an excellent guitar player. He ranges from traditional jazzy guitar to some pretty heavy funk rhythms, but is always a smooth player.

Hyfi
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I spent several years stuck in the Smooth Jazz groove. here is a small list of some of my collection's artists.

Rippingtons
Special EFX
Dave Grusin
Don Grusin
David Benoit
Rick Braun
SpyroGyro
Craig Chaquico
Lee Rittenour

Scott W
01-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I have heard of several of the artists mentioned and have listened to some so I'll try downloading some of the ones I have not heard before buying any CDs,It's real dissappointing to go buy a CD that has only 1 or 2 songs you know then get it home and find out those were the only one(s)on the disc that you like.I know some think (free) downloading is stealing (I don't)but I just want to hear the music before I buy it,I prefer the sound quality of a disc over an mp3 file anyway.Thanks again

bobsticks
01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Scott,

Several of the artists mentioned have a Latin flavor. If you find that kind of thing to your liking another one to check out would be Bob Baldwin's Brazil Chill.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001I2BXA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...or you could just go to the source and investigate a little World Music. Cesaria Evoria or Ibrahim Ferrar come to mind.

Welcome to the forum.

flippo
01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
My favorites for smooth jazz is anything by Pat Metheny Group and a group called Flim and the BB's. Flim and the BB's is just a fun group to listen to and their cd's are excellenty recorded. Give them a try I think you will like!

3-LockBox
01-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Bob Berg - Short Stories
Craig Chaquico
Harry Connick Jr - Lofte's Roach Suffle
Elaine Elias - Cross Currents
Bob James - Restless & Straight Up (his trio project)
Peter Erskine - Motion Poet
Sting - Nothng Like The Sun
Donald ***en - The Nightfly
Candy Dulfer
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue
Bill Bruford
Boney James - Sweet Thing
And any Steely Dan album from Aja on...

Both the Bob James albums I mentioned aabove are superb in content and sound quality, but Bob loses me with his other stuff - too GRPish.

Depending on how much you like the saxaphone, you may only want to buy one jazz/sax album at a time. I find that owning Boney James, Bob Berg and Candy Dulfer is as much jazz/sax as I can handle for some time to come.

Don't let Elaine Elias' sultry, sexy look fool you, she is a great jazz pianist.

Sting's Nothing Like The Sun was promoted as a pop album but it remains one of my favorite listens, as a jazz album.

And for a real stretch, asked someone to make you a comp of King Crimson's jazzier moments (oh, they're there). Songs like Eyes Wide Open, One Time, Walking On Air, Matte Kudasai, Discipline, maybe a couple of others that elude me at the moment.

Actually, smooth jazz is whatever you want it to be.

Mr Peabody
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
3LB I know what you are saying but "Smooth Jazz" is the label given to a certain type of Jazz the radio thought they could commercialize. Our station was very short lived. I like Jazz but the stuff they call "Smooth Jazz" I can't handle much of that. Most of it was musicians playing with a beat machine behind them and the melody was very repetitive. That is a very general statement and some good stuff did get mixed in there, like Rick Braun and others.

bobsticks
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Sting's Nothing Like The Sun was promoted as a pop album but it remains one of my favorite listens, as a jazz album. .

I've maintained this heretical opinion for some time. You get a greenie for that one, sir.

EDIT: When I'm reloaded. Not that you care that much...

blackraven
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
For Blues

Mighty Sam McClain
Mighty Joe Young
Buddy Guy
John Lee Hooker
Debbie Davies
Tab Benoit and Louisiana Leroux
Junior Wells
Ray Charles
Wilson Pickett
BB King!

For Jazz all the artists previously named in this thread
Herbie Hancock- I just bought his new album- RIVER the joni letters, its excellent
Everette Harp
Diana Krall
Etta James
Ella Fitzgerald
Joe Sample
Michael Hedges
Earl Klugh
Larry Carlton
Al Dimeola

3-LockBox
01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
3LB I know what you are saying but "Smooth Jazz" is the label given to a certain type of Jazz the radio thought they could commercialize. Our station was very short lived.

Oh, I get it. I listen to a smooth jazz station out of Seattle every now and then, but at least they mix in a lot of classical jazz with it, not to mention some decent adult contemporary. But I can only listen to it in spurts, maybe once a year, just like classical and symphony music.

Scott W
01-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Bob Berg - Short Stories
Craig Chaquico
Candy Dulfer
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue
Bill Bruford

Both the Bob James albums I mentioned aabove are superb in content and sound quality, but Bob loses me with his other stuff - too GRPish.

Depending on how much you like the saxaphone, you may only want to buy one jazz/sax album at a time. I find that owning Boney James, Bob Berg and Candy Dulfer is as much jazz/sax as I can handle for some time to come.

Don't let Elaine Elias' sultry, sexy look fool you, she is a great jazz pianist.

Sting's Nothing Like The Sun was promoted as a pop album but it remains one of my favorite listens, as a jazz album.

And for a real stretch, asked someone to make you a comp of King Crimson's jazzier moments (oh, they're there). Songs like Eyes Wide Open, One Time, Walking On Air, Matte Kudasai, Discipline, maybe a couple of others that elude me at the moment.

I've been a Steely Dan fan for years(Gaucho is my favorite) Now that I think of it I have some older jazz on LP like Jeff Lorber,Weather Report, and I believe som King Crimson,I had forgotten about those untill just now when you mentioned KC,I bought a whole box,maybe 30-40 LPs quite a few years back at a garage sale for something like $5,Guess I never got around to putting them on the TT,Gonna have to check them out real soon

Hyfi
01-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Bob Berg - Short Stories
Craig Chaquico
Candy Dulfer
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue
Bill Bruford

Never really considered King Crimson or Bruford "Smooth Jazz ". Jazz, yes but I will try your suggestions for the smooth part.

Bruford does have a few jazz disks with the group Earthworks, but thats a stretch for smooth also.

3-LockBox
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Bruford does have a few jazz disks with the group Earthworks, but thats a stretch for smooth also.

Well, its not smooth jazz in the GRP sense of the word, but it isn't dense or anything like that.

jim goulding
01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I heard a track from this on Jazz FM the other day and am listening to samples as I type. I'm buying this. Thomas Marriott- Both Sides Of The Fence. Nice ensemble with a tasty drummer, vibraphone, bass, piano. Just hip enough to get you to second base. TM plays the flugelhorn. Nice improviser.

Paul W.
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Scott. Since you like Stanley Clarke, check out Marcus Miller, too. You mentioned George Benson, so Garrison Fewell is worth a try, although he is not part of the "smooth" jazz thing, strictly speaking.

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Scott. Since you like Stanley Clarke, check out Marcus Miller, too. You mentioned George Benson, so Garrison Fewell is worth a try, although he is not part of the "smooth" jazz thing, strictly speaking.

Hi Paul! Welcome to RR.

jasn
04-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Check out Jeff Beck at Clapton's Crossroads show last summer. Joining him on bass is 22-YO Aussie phenom Tal Wilkenfeld. If you manage to take you eyes off her notice how stunned Beck is at her playing.

<object width="425" height="355">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIFFRHBCPzA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></object>

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for that video jasn. Good to see Jeff Beck's still kickin' it. I couldn't play it loud enough here at work to hear the young gal's base playing, but it must have been a real thrill for her to be onstage with a master at his craft. Good stuff.

jasn
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Rich...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41K4234J23L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, I'll put in a purchase request but I'm not promising anything. A lot of belt tightening right now.

nobody
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I like a lot of jazz that's more laid back like John Coltrane's Ballads album and teh one he did with Vocals from Johnny Hartman. Also a big Chet Baker fan. Don't know if those records would technically get classed as "smooth jazz", but they're all pretty smooth to me.

Javier
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Acoustic alchemy a guitar duo with plenty to chosse from an extensive catalog.
Andreas wolleinveider a little more new age but grats stuff mostly earleir albums like caverna magica, bhiend the tree, withe winds and down to the moon.
Lee Rittenour.
Chris Botti.

jrhymeammo
04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Never been a fan of smooth jazz, but for blues, you guys should include Al Smith, Freddie King, and Jimmy Rogers.

JRA

Rich-n-Texas
04-17-2008, 05:50 AM
But this thread IS about smooth jazz jra. Why don't you start a separate thread about blues bands?

jrhymeammo
04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
LOL. Should I add a dash of rhythm to retain purity of this thread's direction?

As for smooth Jazz, how about more recent Groover Washington?

jonnyhambone
04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I 've had some Spyro Gyra moments and still dig Pat Metheny quite a bit (esp.New Chatauqua and As Falls Wichita...), Larry Coryell (esp. Lady Coryell). I lean towards the more guitar-y less smooth side of this stuff though. Just read this article though and thought you might be interested...

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/columns/article/56880/rip-smooth-jazz-1985-2008/