Deadsoul Tribe - Lullaby For The Devil [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Deadsoul Tribe - Lullaby For The Devil

3-LockBox
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I own their Murder Of Crows album and like it well enough, but then I bought their latest, Lullaby For The Devil, about a month ago, and felt like I was disappointed.

Well, a month later and a few listens, I think its grown on me, but I stand by my first impressions, and that is that the leader Devin Graves is trying to take the band in a new direction, rather, he's following the lead of others. The first track sounds like a Mastadon song, what with its shouted lyrics, while the second and third tracks sound like Pain Of Salvation, with their chainsaw rythm section and spoken narration over top the music. It was enough to make me take the CD out of my player and check to make sure I had the right one. Same with the last two songs, where they seem to waver back and forth between Fates Warning and Dream Theater (by way of Metallica). I liked it better when they just aped Tool ;)

The middle section of this is very killer however, as Graves whips out his flute (the musical instrument) and lays down a tastey instrumental with the flute as the lead, like a really heavy dose of Jethro Tull - very nice. In fact, I call the mid-section of this CD (tracks 4 thru 8) vintage Deadsoul Tribe. I appreciate trying to branch out, but in someone else's tree?!? I know I sound fickle cuz I was one of those who thought that The Last Word sounded too samey.

Still, I'd call it a keeper. Even with the obvious similarities twix this release and other bands, its still better than average. Neither Pain Of Salvation nor Fates Warning make albums this good anymore. And once again, that mid-section is prog-metal heaven. Just program tracks 4 thru 8 first then give the others a listen later, and give them time to sink in. This isn't a great Deadsoul album, but it is a good one.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Or you could just get the new Riverside which is good from end to end. :smilewinkgrin:

BarryL
01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Or you could just get the new Riverside which is good from end to end. :smilewinkgrin:

I listened to the new Riverside CD on Tuesday for the first time - Rapid Eye Movement - and was sure by the end that the lead vocalist was the vocalist from Kaipa. At times he sounded an awful lot like James LeBrie.

These aren't complaints, just observations. I'll have to listen more before I can comment on the album, but I liked it on first listen.

ForeverAutumn
01-10-2008, 07:02 AM
I can see why you mention LaBrie. There are some similar qualities to the two voices, but I think that they are still quite different. I actually think that the Riverside guy sounds more like Steve Wilson at times.

Not to hijack 3-LBs thread, but I've been listening to another Riverside disk this morning, Voices In My Head. It's also very good. Not as good as Rapid Eye Movement IMO, but still a very, very nice disk. Based on these two CDs this band had been added to my auto-buy list.

BarryL
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I can see why you mention LaBrie. There are some similar qualities to the two voices,

I was going from memory, but it turns out I was listening to Ritual, not Riverside. I haven't heard the Riverside CD yet.

And it turns out that the lead vocalist in Ritual is the same as in Kaipa, Patrik Lundstrom. No wonder they sound alike!

So, if you like Kaipa, you'll probably like the new Ritual CD, The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

ForeverAutumn
01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Does that also mean that if I like the new Ritual CD then I'll probably like Kaipa?

It hit me while I was CD shopping this afternoon that I also lent you the Ritual disk and I was going to ask whether you perhaps confused them because the singer is, indeed, the same person.

BarryL
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
If you don't know Kaipa, then you should. Kaipa is a bit stranger, but I like them better than Ritual. Ritual is much more pastoral and less aggressive.

Kiapa, though is also very quirky. I like their work, but I find it hard to take too much of them. It's the vocals that begin to bother me. I don't find Lundstrom's style or tonality, or something, very appealing.

ForeverAutumn
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Actually, I listened to some Kaipa on My Space. It was okay.

3-LockBox
01-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Actually, I listened to some Kaipa on My Space. It was okay.

Kaipa is more like Flower Kings. Ritual is intentionally folky.