Rega Elys w/ bent stylus - what to do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rega Elys w/ bent stylus - what to do?

Dave_G
03-02-2004, 10:46 AM
My 3 year old got ahold of my Rega Planar 3 that HAD a functioning Elys cartridge.

Now the stylus is bent off at a 90 degree angle.

I don't think this can be repaired.

I have a limited budget, mainly have old bands rock records (Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, etc.), and run the output of the Rega into a MacIntosh C-712 preamp, into a Rotel 200 WPC power amp, into a pair of Mirage M3-Si's.

Based on all that, what would ya'll recommend?

I don't do much vinyl anymore, sold almost all my MFSL and import lp's on ebay...

Mostly I want to keep $ ~ 100 if at all possible.

Thanks -

Dave

DMK
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
It can't be repaired but since the Rega is a moving magnet cartridge, I think it has a user replaceable stylus. check with www.needledoctor.com as I believe they carry this brand. The cost would be minimal - certainly much less than a new cartridge.

6 years ago my then 3 year old lunched the cantilever of my Benz Glider. I feel your pain. Actually, I feel MORE pain because it cost me $400 for a retip since it's a moving coil cartridge. First and only disaster.

Sealed
03-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Check with a rega dealer, but I believe the P-3 would benefit from a Grado cart. Grado starts at $40, and I believe there is an $80 cart that should equal or beat the Elys.

rb122
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Check with a rega dealer, but I believe the P-3 would benefit from a Grado cart. Grado starts at $40, and I believe there is an $80 cart that should equal or beat the Elys.

I have no experience with this but I've heard that a lot of Grados hum when put on Rega's due to the latter's unshielded motor. The dealer could confirm or deny this but do ask about it.

skeptic
03-03-2004, 05:01 AM
It can't be repaired. In your shoes, I'd buy an inexpensive Shure cartridge probably from Radio Shack and keep my turntable out of the reach of small children. At least if that one gets broken too, you won't be out too much.

Dave_G
03-03-2004, 07:57 AM
I had heard elsewhere that the Regas are NOT repairable, so I was wondering what to do.

I have tried ebay for some new cartridges without much luck (they have a ton of turntables and all though, I was shocked, and most of them had bids on them).

I'll look around the shops here in Atlanta and see what I can come up with.

Thanks -

Dave