help: i think i blew my speaekers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help: i think i blew my speaekers

aimen
03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
one of my speakers is sounding funny
the woofer in it is producing brbrbrbrbbrbr prprp khrhrhrkrkr bhrhrhr sound while playing
what does that mean, wt is it trying to say?
did i blew it away?
what is the problem?
can i fix it?
the cone seems to be fine but not working fine

plz help
regards

uncooked
03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
did you have them cranked when they started sounding weird?

check the connections, "amp, and speaker terminals"

This Guy
03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
do everything uncooked said. Also try pressing on the woofer cone, do you hear a scraping sound coming from it when you push it in? If it doesn't don't check only the outside connections, but also the internal ones and make sure they're all connected.

aimen
03-03-2004, 01:16 AM
yes i check the connections all fine

how do i check internal connections

when i push it in while playing the scraping sound decreses or at low volume completly goes off but also the volume of woofer decreases

but when the woofer is not in action, not connected to amp, not playing any thing, theres no scraping sound but when i press it in i hear the scraping sound, its like the cone paper is scratching something, if i push it justt from one side of the woofer theres no scraping, when i press from the opposite side there loud scraping, when i press from center theres a meduim scraping sound

i noticed that if i pull the rubber surround a bit outwards from one side ( the side opposite to loud scraping side ) there a huge improvement and the woofer doesnt sound dull as it sounds when i push it in

is this the correct/permanent way to fix it

thx

vivisimonvi
03-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Sounds as if you overpowered your speakers a little. What seems to have happened is that the coils melted and became deformed (through mechanical failure, the coil would be scraping the magnet). Otherwise, this should not happen under any normal circumstance (or listening at moderate volumes, anyways). This happend to me before when I actually took a driver apart from a cheap speaker by seperating the magnet from the cone (for experimentation purposes). The coil actually melted the "paper" cylinder and caused it to scrape against the magnet. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it doing this, taking it apart you've pretty much ruined it. Buy better speakers that can handle more power.

Or, when I was younger and couldn't afford a darn thing, I acually took a cloth and placed it behind the actual driver (between the spider and the cone) pushing it out a little to prevent scraping. My music seemed to have played fine and I noticed little difference...

aimen
03-03-2004, 02:16 AM
well i guess thats what happened
it was used carelessly and was kind of over powered as well

after pulling the rubber on one side i have reduced the scraping sound alot, at moderate volume average listner wont fell any annoying sound from it , one can only feel the differance while doing side by side comparision with other fine speaker, or at loud volume,
well i think its not that bad
while playing both at a time they sound fine

thx
regards

skeptic
03-03-2004, 05:08 AM
You've learned one of life's valuable lessons. Everything has its limits and if you test them, you will find out exactly where they are the hard way. I am sure that sooner or later, you will buy another woofer or another speaker. In the meantime, your neighbors will enjoy a little less noise and a little more peace and quiet.

pelly3s
03-03-2004, 06:17 AM
depending on the brand you can get it reconed and coiled. what brand is it? also don't push against it while it is playing, remove the driver and evenly push into the cone and lightly light it from the back. also tap the cone and check for spider fatigue. Has the speaker been dropped at all because the problem could also be a shifted maginet. or the can be something floating in the coil gap. Use a multimeter to check the impedence and bring it to a certified recone center to have it looked at and see if it can be repaired.

aimen
03-03-2004, 07:12 AM
:-))))))
thx all for ur help
its not from any real good company
its my car speaker made by some Japanese company called SENCOR
its a cheap one, somewhere near 45$/pair
no such think as repair here where i live
just wanted to improve some car campany default stereo setup nothing special, just wanted a little more sound so added these 6x9 inch 3 way speaker and was been power my company default deck 45x4watts, before car only had two 4inch one way speakers in the front, added these in the back, the sound was nothing great but better than b4, these are 50watt RMS and 200watts PEAK, shouldnd have melted with 45 watts :-)))). although i never overpushed them , max volume i usssaully gave it for music is 25 out of 40 digit counter in deck. After that the sound starts getting bad and seperation of different frequncies loses, but it was overpowered at many times by some ppl such as my driver :-p

anyhow im satisfied its working OK again

these days i m hunting for HT speakers :-))))))))))

regard
thx

This Guy
03-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Get a screw driver and take the woofer out of the cabinet. See if the wires connected to the woofer are on securely. Also, take a look at the crossover, just make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary. Does it make the scratching sound only on the woofer in question, or does it do it on the other speaker as well. Cause if you push the cone in over it's excursion limits, all woofers will make that scraping sound.

-Joey

skeptic
03-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Now you've learned another of life's lessons. Don't ever trust anything you value to other people. Even your best friend won't give a damn if he wrecks your possessions and it is very rare that anybody owns up to having damaged it let alone is willing to pay for repair or replacement. Just watch some of the small claims court TV shows and see how often this same situation comes up.

Worf101
03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Now you've learned another of life's lessons. Don't ever trust anything you value to other people. Even your best friend won't give a damn if he wrecks your possessions and it is very rare that anybody owns up to having damaged it let alone is willing to pay for repair or replacement. Just watch some of the small claims court TV shows and see how often this same situation comes up.
I agree... never, ever trust anyone with ANYTHING you can neither replace yourself or are not prepared to have lost, stolen or damaged. There are exceptions to this of course. There are men and women I've trusted with my life and anything I own they're welcome to use/lose if they have to. But these folks are few... and far between.

Da Worfster
:o

skeptic
03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
I'll throw one more in for free. Never use or handle or allow to be handled anything fragile or valuable like your audio system, especially phonograph equipment and recordings when there is much alcohol being consumed. It invariably gets damaged. Styli records, and tonearms are especially vulnerable. Ditto for times when children or animals other then well trained house pets who already know what's not allowed are around.

vivisimonvi
03-05-2004, 03:50 AM
I was startled one morning to find that one of my speakers had fallen off it's stand (I hit it by accident when I was asleep... I have nowhere else to put them). Busted a remote control for an old Pioneer CD player from the 80's (PD-7030) and one of the drivers for the speaker. It made that same scraping sound, though I'm suprised it didn't tear. The build quality was cheap as the tweeter somehow disappeared in the enclosure. The same thing happened with older cheapie speakers, where the drivers seem to seperate from the enclosures.

One of my CV bookshelfs fell one day about 3 and a half feet. I was suprised the speaker was actually fine and played the same, except for the grill peg attachments. Somehow my CV's take a lot of abuse and seem to work flawless.

aimen
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
thx for the advices and comments and help
i appriciate it all
u ppl have been helpful more than i thought, thats simply gr8
i have nothing much to add here but thx

Aimen RG