B and W 602 s3s?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B and W 602 s3s??

Bigmoney
01-04-2008, 08:23 AM
I own b and w 602 s3 will the produce enough bass in a 1400 cubic feet rectangle room enough to ditch my subwoofer. Room is (11.75,14.75,8.00)

basite
01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
yes and no.

they will produce 'enough' bass for most music, but once you're going the HT route, you might want to use a subwoofer for them, because the B&W's won't go low enough, and don't have enough punch in the absolute lows to articulate stuff like explosions and so...

do you want to ditch your sub? if it's too big, you could get a smaller one, or adjust your current sub so it 'fits' into your room (soundwise)...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bigmoney
01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Here is the link to my sub http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/product.aspx Every time I use it especially for stereo playback of music it seems to dominate my dm 303s my current mains, until I pick up the dm602 s3s today from my dealer which I have already pruchased. Is this because it is 4 ohms or should I sell it and purchase a b and w sub to match my mains. Sugesstions?

blackraven
01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
If your sub is dominating your music, then you have it up too high and/or you have the cross over set too high. IMO, a subs volume should be turned down till you can bearly hear it and then one notch more. This is a comon problem with people not knowing how to set up a sub for music. For HT you want your sub turned up higher, but I wont get into that.

johnny p
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
During the short time I used the 685's as mains, I just turned down my sub (massive 15" downward firing beast) and it produces good low level bass, and isn't obtrusive. It does have the option to kick on only when it is demanded, so this causes a "thump" and it kicks on/off when watching movies at lower sound levels, so when watching movies at night, I just select "ON" rather than the power-save feature it has (which is a great feature for normal t.v. watching, but can really be annoying during some applications) I do plan to replace it, as it is too large for the room.

Bigmoney
01-04-2008, 12:35 PM
My sub does have a sensitivity five decibels higher than my mains, Issue? if so how can I fix it? Is matching your sub to your mains as it is to matching your other speakers ( company prodcut line etc..)?

basite
01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
My sub does have a sensitivity five decibels higher than my mains, Issue? if so how can I fix it? Is matching your sub to your mains as it is to matching your other speakers ( company prodcut line etc..)?

your sub should have some knobs on the back, one of them being 'volume' or 'gain', turn that down a little...

also lower the crossover point...

is your sub in a corner? and do you have an 'equalizer' knob on the back too? our B&W sub has an equalizer setting (A or B), and B is optimized to place the sub in a corner....

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

blackraven
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Also try changing the phase if you have a phase switch in the back. And try pulling it away from the corner of the room like basite hinted on. This will help decrease the boominess. Set your cross over at 50-60Hz maybe even lower despite the fact that the 602 s3's low frequency cutoff is about 50hz. Start off at 60 and keep going lower till your get a sound that you like.

O'Shag
01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
BigMoney take heart, your problem is probably easy to solve without having to ditch the sub.

BlackRaven is spot on. You probably have the crossover set too high and there may be a dB attenuation/gain knob, which by the sounds of it is set too high also. If their is a sensitivity disparity, i.e. your B&Ws have a nominal impedence of 4 ohms and the sub is 8ohms, then the sub will sound louder than the main speaker. You'll have to compensate by cutting gain via the attenuation knb by at least 3dB I should imagine. You shouldn't hear the sub until the low bass calls for it. It should never dominate the main speaker, just add more body at the very bottom end. 'Sides, the B&Ws are very good, so you don't want to mask and muddy their excellent bass performance with too much gain or too high a crossover frequency from the sub. My guess is that the B&Ws comfortably reach down to 60hz without any roll-off. Try setting your sub crossover frequency to 60hz. 80hz is the norm, but I think thats too high considering the main speakers you have...

Bigmoney
01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
My problem is that my receiver doesnt have a cross over setting and my sub on only has a phase, volume, and thx or var switch. While on thx, if I try changing the volume knob the volume remains the same even it the know is set at the maximum or minum, but does change when on var. What can I do? and what are my alternatives to corner placement, I currently have my sub 1/3 of the way in and pressed against the wall