Impressed with Audiogon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Audiogon

blackraven
01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm impressed with audiogon classifieds. I put my Marantz SA8001 CDP up for sale at 1am and I already have 3 people that want to buy it including 1 person here in town.:16:

Scott W
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I was thinking of buying a pair when my profit sharing comes in,Will Magnepan let a person come to there place of business to pick them up or do they have to be shipped? I live across the border from you and less than a hour drive from White Bear,just thought I'd ask what your opinion of these was,I own a pair of SMGas and really like them with a sub for the deeper bass.Thanks

jrhymeammo
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm impressed with audiogon classifieds. I put my Marantz SA8001 CDP up for sale at 1am and I already have 3 people that want to buy it including 1 person here in town.:16:

Isn't it? I'm keeping my fingers crossed on one item. I hope I'm not too late.

God Bless Audiogon!!

blackraven
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Scott. Yes the MMG's are the Maggies. I also have the 1.6QR's.
I live 20 minutes from White Bear Lake and picked up the MMG's directly from Magnepan. You will save on shipping but will have to pay tax. They will not sell any other models directly except for their low end home theater speakers that they advertise on the net. If you want to move up to the MG12's ($1100) which are a big improvement over the MMG's, then there is a store in Minneapolis called Audio perfection on Lynndale Ave that carries only Audiophile equipment along with Magnepan.

The MMG's are nice and you will need a sub if you like nice deep bass. They have nice tight bass and good detail but a very small sweet spot. If you can swing it, go for the MG12's which have a much larger sound stage and depth, deeper bass and larger sweet spot.

Scott W
01-03-2008, 05:40 AM
I'd love to get a bigger pair but not sure if I'll ever be able to afford them,I'm a regular working man with a wife,kid and new house payment etc.Most of my gear has been bought 2nd hand at a fraction of the new prices,I hit the garage sales,keep an eye on ebay and craigslist and stop by the Stillwater goodwill when I get over that way.I've been pretty lucky though:2: .Thanks again for the info.

Feanor
01-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I'd love to get a bigger pair but not sure if I'll ever be able to afford them,I'm a regular working man with a wife,kid and new house payment etc.Most of my gear has been bought 2nd hand at a fraction of the new prices,I hit the garage sales,keep an eye on ebay and craigslist and stop by the Stillwater goodwill when I get over that way.I've been pretty lucky though:2: .Thanks again for the info.

I have to stretch every cent myself. However blackraven is correct that the MMGs need a sub, not only (or so much) for deep bass, but for loud bass in a mid-sized room or for heavy rock music. The small size of the MMGs resticts bass dynamics. Under these conditions it's preferable to have a sub and both low- and high-pass filters set for 80Hz.

jrhymeammo
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
...but not Agon quick.
Someone else beat me to it. Oh well.

Or you can always get a pair of MG 1.6 from me.
I'm thinking about selling them on Agon this weekend. Wish me luck!

Regards,

bobsticks
01-03-2008, 07:50 PM
...Or you can always get a pair of MG 1.6 from me.

So what's next rhymedoctor?

basite
01-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Or you can always get a pair of MG 1.6 from me.

Regards,

yeah,
what are you going to get Hiro?

and i'll wish you luck :p

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

gjpham
01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
So, in general, is it secured like Ebay if I buy and pay via PayPal?

Feanor
01-05-2008, 08:49 AM
So, in general, is it secured like Ebay if I buy and pay via PayPal?

Or I would say not. Audiogon isn't affiliated with PayPal, (as is eBay), and makes no claims for buyer protection. That's my impression, but you might check at PayPal for whatever they might offer for broader buyer protection.

O'Shag
01-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Dangerous place audiogon. You end up wanting to buy all the time. Definitely not conducive to a long and happy marriage if your worse half, oh er, sorry, I mean better half is not into audio. To much time on audiogon turns She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed :hand: :incazzato: into She-Who-Must Be-Ignored :sleep: :ciappa: , and that is not a good thing when she has more sense about it that you do.:cornut: :5: :17: :16: You end up thinking of an excuse :idea: and say that your spending money on something else :devil: . But she knows..

blackraven
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
You just need to balance the audio purchases with a diamond every now and then to keep the wife happy!