Trouble with bass mgmt on HK AVR 510 and/or Pioneer 563a [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with bass mgmt on HK AVR 510 and/or Pioneer 563a

davep77
03-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Hello all..

I'm new to this forum. I thought I would post a small dillema I have to see if any of you can give me some advice. Here's my problem:

I recently bought a Pioneer 563a universal player to use for movies, SACD, and DVD-A.
I hooked it up to my HK AVR510 via a digital coax (for DVD movies, HDCDs, etc) and I also ran 6 channel cables from the analog outputs to the 6 channel inputs on the HK (for SACD, DVD-A). My problem is I get nothing from my subwoofer when playing through the 6 channel inputs. I know it's on and working fine because when I play CDs through my CD player I hear the sub as when I'm watching TV. Does anyone know what settings I need to set the Pioneer to send signals to my sub? Also, when I choose DVD on my HK (where the coax is used) I get no audio. The user manual for my HK states that there is no bass mgmt in the six-channel mode. Thanks for all the help!

dave

nightflier
03-02-2004, 12:16 PM
The manual states that there is no bass management because the bass is already being fed through the 6th channel (the .1). I used to have an AVR210 that had a similar issue some years back, and I resolved it by changing some of the settings in the speaker menu. It sounds like you have not finished configuring the speakers for your setup. I now use an Onkyo receiver and it gives me the option of setting different surround settings for each device. The DVD device had an extra button I had to push on the remote and once I hit that, the 5.1 channel input (that I now use for SACD playback and movies exclusively), is much fuller than the coax digital.

poneal
03-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Since you have just recently added this device you probably need to go into the speaker setup and setup the speakers(small or large) and then set the sub to sub or if it has it lef + left/right. You should then get bass.

davep77
03-02-2004, 04:58 PM
I can't adjust the speaker size on my receiver on the 6 channel input selection. All others I can. I have the DVD source set as large and the sub at L+R +LFE. After fooling around with the sub a little, I found that there is a signal going to my sub, but it is very low. I had to turn my sub almost all the way up. I normally keep it between 1/4 and 1/2 way up. It's a Velodyne CT120. This is fine until the next time I play a CD, then I'll get blown out of the room! Anyway, I guess what I'm wondering is there a particular setting that I'm missing out on regarding the 563a to get decent bass out of SACD and DVD-A? Or how do others have their 563a set for 5 speakers plus a sub. Thanks again for the replies..

dave