And the parrots sound like monkeys, screaming from the trees [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And the parrots sound like monkeys, screaming from the trees

Davey
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
As the decent people, fumble for their keys ...

It is Tunesday in Wrecksville, so what's the music that opened your New Year after getting up this morning? That lyric above is from the opening song on the very nice recent Joe Henry Civilians. Snuck in a little bit of Magnolia Electric Co before that cause it was already in the player, some Mink DeVille after that cause Willy is always cool, and now some Joe. Should probably be on my top 10. Probably will be. I'm acting kind of like a grown up today, I guess :)

And you? Any noteworthy recent, current, or upcoming spins?

salad 419
01-01-2008, 01:41 PM
NEW! I got bored and browsed the online Live Archive. I found a band called Laughing Gas Treatment and downloaded a show based on their name. I'd give it a thumbs up. It's Hippie/Jam/bar band type rock and roll. Other than that, I just played guitar for about 3 hours or so on my own.

bobsticks
01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Mellow is the order of the day. Did a little Interpol, played the outstanding More Music For Films by Brian Eno, and spinning away now is David Gilmour's On An Island...

..and there's no reason to believe that tonight's gonna be different. Probably spin some of the aformentioned Magnolia along with some Dexter and 'Trane. I'm sure something completely out of mind now will strike me when I hit the stacks.

Peace

Swish
01-01-2008, 03:59 PM
...on some cdr with a name something like Bloomed sent to me by some nut-bucket on RR. Then I popped in The Crane Wife from the Decemberists, which has become my favorite from that band (can't wait to hear Slosh on that comment), then another cdr by a guy named Alexi Murdoch called Time Without Consequences, another one sent to me by yet another RR nut-job, just not so far West. Good stuff all.

Swish - needs a 2008 that's better than 2007.

Rae
01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Lessee, started the morning this morning with a brand new copy of Nico - Chelsea Girl (remaster on 180g vinyl or something, as if it makes a difference on my system). Then switched to Miles Davis - Seven Steps to Heaven while we munched our breakfast cereal. Hello, 2008, you seem so lovely so far.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
My first listen of the year was Ray LaMontagne's Till the Sun Turns Black. That's become one of my favourite albums and it was a nice mellow way to kick off my year. I hope that he comes back this way for a performance this year.

Davey
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Listened to some Richard Buckner guy on some cdr with a name something like Bloomed sent to me by some nut-bucket on RR.

Nut-bucket, eh? Admittedly, they are an impressive pair, but hardly require a bucket for containment. Thanks all the same. Ain't that Richard Buckner one helluva ****in' nice CD? What a great recording and mastering job, really have to crank it up ... and the reward for crankin' it up is ... ****in' great sound that gets better the higher it goes! As opposed to the dentist drill and fingernails on the chalkboard sounds that signal an impending toothache you get with most modern stuff when cranked above a whisper. That original DejaDisc release from 1995 probably turned into my favorite listen of 2007, triggered by picking up his latest Meadow. Fun when that happens :)

Swish
01-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Nut-bucket, eh? Admittedly, they are an impressive pair, but hardly require a bucket for containment. Thanks all the same. Ain't that Richard Buckner one helluva ****in' nice CD? What a great recording and mastering job, really have to crank it up ... and the reward for crankin' it up is ... ****in' great sound that gets better the higher it goes! As opposed to the dentist drill and fingernails on the chalkboard sounds that signal an impending toothache you get with most modern stuff when cranked above a whisper. That original DejaDisc release from 1995 probably turned into my favorite listen of 2007, triggered by picking up his latest Meadow. Fun when that happens :)

Yes, the Buckner Deja Disc is excellent, but it was skipping like crazy so I wasn't playing it much at first, then I remembered someone mentioned saving the tracks to the hard drive and creating a new disc with those tracks. Well, I did it, and it worked perfectly, even if I don't fully understand how that would work. I was just playing it on my PC with my new and very decent Klipsch Media Pro speakers and it sounds quite good. Next will be on my basement HT rig when I get a chance. Can't wait to hear them over my Paradigms!

Swish Baby

Davey
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, the Buckner Deja Disc is excellent, but it was skipping like crazy so I wasn't playing it much at first, then I remembered someone mentioned saving the tracks to the hard drive and creating a new disc with those tracks. Well, I did it, and it worked perfectly, even if I don't fully understand how that would work.

Yea, too bad so many in that batch were messed up. It is strange that the data can be recovered OK by ripping it to hard drive, but it is a very different process compared to playing the CD, since when you play the disc it syncs in the beginning and then follows the spiral track while generating a stream of data, while ripping involves grabbing blocks of data, writing to hard drive, then resyncing to the beginning of the next block, which generally requires some type of jitter correction to over-read the data block (there is an uncertainty as a result of the original audio CD time accuracy spec, so it can't know exactly where it left off). Or something like that :)

I assume the laser has probably lost intensity, or isn't focusing as precisely as it used to. Cheap sheet.

Have you got that Augie March CD yet? Just listened to that one, and it is really nice. Keeps getting better. Shame they are so little known over here.

Swish
01-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea, too bad so many in that batch were messed up. It is strange that the data can be recovered OK by ripping it to hard drive, but it is a very different process compared to playing the CD, since when you play the disc it syncs in the beginning and then follows the spiral track while generating a stream of data, while ripping involves grabbing blocks of data, writing to hard drive, then resyncing to the beginning of the next block, which generally requires some type of jitter correction to over-read the data block (there is an uncertainty as a result of the original audio CD time accuracy spec, so it can't know exactly where it left off). Or something like that :)

I assume the laser has probably lost intensity, or isn't focusing as precisely as it used to. Cheap sheet.

Have you got that Augie March CD yet? Just listened to that one, and it is really nice. Keeps getting better. Shame they are so little known over here.

...but not to me, but thanks for the LOX anyhoot.

Yes, the Augie March cd is getting a lot of playing time in my house, and my current spouse likes it too. I certainly hear the Kinks influence, although a couple tracks could easily be Radiohead tunes. Good stuff regardless.

Grassy as<a>s,

Swish Baby