Need to replace DVD player: any suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace DVD player: any suggestions?

Feanor
01-01-2008, 10:45 AM
My Samsung universal player pooped out after only a 1.5 years of service. :mad:

I want to replace it with something that can play SACDs as well as standard DVD. Blu-Ray isn't a consideration at this time since I don't have a TV that can display the higher resolutions, and I don't have an HDMI-equipped receiver. My budget is <$200.

i'm very open to other suggestions, but I will give consideration to the latest Oppo model: (link to specs), DV980H (http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/dv980h_features.asp). I believe it has HDMI 1.2a, including DSD over HDMI. It plays SACD, DVD-A, and is 1081P-capable. I'm confuse about 1081P can come from? Specs state that HD-DVD is not supported. (It doesn't matter too much since I don't own a TV that does it.)

Also the DV980H has a USB connection. I'd like to know just what audio and video format USB can support: can you clue me in?

blackraven
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I vote for the oppo DV-980H. Its audio section uses higher grade electronics then the DV-981, while the 981 has better video than the 980. Sorry, cant help you with the usb.

blackraven
01-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Say Feanor, email Oppo. They usually send you back an answer if a few hours. I emailed them twice with questions about the differences in the 980 and 981 and got answers back the same day!

Rich-n-Texas
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
My Samsung universal player pooped out after only a 1.5 years of service. :mad:

I want to replace it with something that can play SACDs as well as standard DVD. Blu-Ray isn't a consideration at this time since I don't have a TV that can display the higher resolutions, and I don't have an HDMI-equipped receiver. My budget is <$200.

i'm very open to other suggestions, but I will give consideration to the latest Oppo model: (link to specs), DV980H (http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/dv980h_features.asp). I believe it has HDMI 1.2a, including DSD over HDMI. It plays SACD, DVD-A, and is 1081P-capable. I'm confuse about 1081P can come from? Specs state that HD-DVD is not supported. (It doesn't matter too much since I don't own a TV that does it.)

Also the DV980H has a USB connection. I'd like to know just what audio and video format USB can support: can you clue me in?
I have visions of plugging my little iPod Nano into the USB port, but so far I haven't found any answers to that question either. Nevertheless Feanor, either Oppo 98x player is a good value for the money. I think there are customer images on their website showing the care in which they package their product so that should tell you something about their concern for quality IMO. I'm not ready for Blu-ray/HD-DVD either and this is a good player for the interim period.

Living-Da-Blues has a 981 BTW.

pixelthis
01-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Cambridge has a nice looking dvd player that plays SACD and dvdaudio, 299$.
I would rather get one from them, even if it is a rebadged oppo(dont know if it is or not, but its very similar) because they might care more about the audio, giving you a nice CD player as well. Sorry about your Samsung, mines three years old and doing great.
And the USB can carry something like 489 MBPS, HUGE amount of data, you could play your player over your computer, or a USB connection on your set, but most likely its intended to view JPGS from your camera, stuff like that.
But I vote CAMBRIDGE , its just cooler, and you can see on youtube how its made.
Lots of good viddy about Cambridge on youtube:1: