Castle Durham II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Castle Durham II

Evan05
12-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I've owned a set of Castle Durham 2 speakers since '94, and never really used them very much. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I really never bothered to set them up with an amp and source that would do them justice. Having recently done that I am more than pleased with their sound. I've been looking around for any reviews or specs on these items but to no avail. I would assume they are discontinued. Does anyone know of any such information or reviews? I'm trying to compare them against either the Durham 3 or other such item.

Any suggestions?

blackraven
12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Email the company for the specs and any old reviews they may have on file.

jim goulding
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I've always heard good things about them and believe that I even heard them once at a dealer showroom. You must have googled them already but have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They sometimes keep archives on earlier models. What else are you running with these bad boys with and are you able to give them proper location and some space into which they can perform? Cheers.

Evan05
12-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the relies and advice. I should have mentioned that I'm supporting these with an Arcam 65+ integrated amp and Arcam CD73 as the source. As mentioned I was using these with some inferior components (circa the same age as the speaker) and was astonished at what I'd been missing all these years. I've just purchased a new pair of Totem Rainforest speakers so I'm anxious to compare the difference.

While I'm at it I wonder if you have any advice on attaching a Slim Devices SqueezeBox 3 as another source and way to access my music data now on my Mac (as well as internet radio - in lieu of a tuner)? Is it necessary to go to the higher audio qulaity of the Transporter or can I coax something decent from SB (or other such set up)?

Thanks again.

O'Shag
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Nice speakers. Definitely keepers...

l2sasm
07-11-2009, 05:56 AM
I've owned these speaker since the very early of 1994 and I recall reading a review from a British magazine which gave them a 4 stars out of 5. The speaker is designed for a very small room due to lack of power of the woofer. The sound is nice especially on horns.