30 years ago [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago

Slippers On
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
My kids asked me today how long have I had this obsession/interest in music reproduction.

It got me thinking about the different systems I've had over the years, and where I was.

30 years ago I spent Christmas in Basite's home place, Antwerp, Belgium. Seems so long ago, yet I can still remember the music...1977

... I was in the British Merchant Navy at the time, working onboard Oil Tankers and we had sailed from Cherbourg in France to Antwerp in Belgium. I had no music onboard, save a guitar which I had brought with me, until I went onshore in France and bought one of those tape/radio/getoblaster things. I had no tapes so I listened to BBC World Service.

When I arrived in Antwerp I bought a few tapes...John Denver - "I wanna live" springs to mind very quickly:cornut: .

Isn't it amazing how a piece of music conjures up a memory! It stays in your mind forever...a bit like the bloody tattoo I got in Antwerp, (beside 'Danny's Bar' at the docks) if you know it Basite:6:

Long live music....don't get tattooed:nonod:

Feanor
12-31-2007, 05:40 AM
My kids asked me today how long have I had this obsession/interest in music reproduction.

When I arrived in Antwerp I bought a few tapes...John Denver - "I wanna live" springs to mind very quickly:cornut: .

Long live music....don't get tattooed:nonod:

I'll bet you got tired of them pretty fast. If there was ever a cloying song writer/performer it's got to be Denver. I had one of his albums, ("Greatest Hits" or whatever); I listened three or four times, then put it away forever.