Most Memorable Theater Experience. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Theater Experience.

Smokey
12-29-2007, 04:49 PM
The question is simple: What is your most memorable theater experience? Most memorable in term of the movie itself, sound&audio, audience participation or the whole thing.

Although not much of theater goer myself, but must say the best experience I had in theater was when went to see the first Star Wars movie which was re-released back into theaters in 1997. Seeing that movie for first time on big screen was a big thrill, but watching audience cheering thru the whole movie made it more memorable.

Feanor
12-29-2007, 06:36 PM
The question is simple: What is your most memorable theater experience? Most memorable in term of the movie itself, sound&audio, audience participation or the whole thing.

Although not much of theater goer myself, but must say the best experience I had in theater was when went to see the first Star Wars movie which was re-released back into theaters in 1997. Seeing that movie for first time on big screen was a big thrill, but watching audience cheering thru the whole movie made it more memorable.

I'm not a big movie goer either, Smokey. At least not since I was married 31 years ago, as my wife never was a big movie goer.

Funny thing though, that one that stands out is the first time I saw the first Star Wars, ("Episode 4"), back in 1977. My wife was sceptical about it but I convinced her to go: she turned out to be a HUGE Star Wars fan -- at least until Episode 1, oh well. :nonod:

Other than that, as kid I loved drive-ins. Drives-ins weren't permited in the Province of Quebec where I grew up -- something about immoral goings on during the shows. Hmmm ... might have had a point. Anyway for a few year my parents and I vacationed in the vicinity of Old Orchard Beach, Maine, and I liked nothing better than evening drive-in shows when I got to stay up late, etc.. One stand-out movie for me from those days was the rather inane Scaramouche, (George Stanley, 1952). It was my favorite movie 'till my teenage years. (Stanley was perhaps best know for Viva Las Vegas, 1964, with Elvis Presley).

musicman1999
12-29-2007, 06:40 PM
There have been a few, Star Wars when it first came out, the first Star Trek movie but one that always comes to mind was in the late 70's, first year at university, Sunday night movie in the cafeteria we saw Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, great movie, good friends, good brews and after the film they told us to stay for a surprise. The lights went back down and up came the Rocky Horror Picture Show.The sound quality was awful and the picture not much better, just an old projector and real film but we had a great time and partied till 3 am.

bill

Smokey
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Anyway for a few year my parents and I vacationed in the vicinity of Old Orchard Beach, Maine, and I liked nothing better than evening drive-in shows when I got to stay up late, etc..
Those drive-ins were definitely fun, especially when it rained :D

Also did you noticed that they always showed the weirdest movies, ands sound was awesome with those tiny speaker attached to your car. Talk about high fidelity!

The lights went back down and up came the Rocky Horror Picture Show.The sound quality was awful and the picture not much better, just an old projector and real film but we had a great time and partied till 3 am.

I used to work at local university and the Beginning of semester they always had the movie night out for the student body with free food. One time they decided to set up the projector in the parking lot, and funny thing was that anytime a car would enter thru parking lot gate, its headlight would completely washed out the picture.
And everybody laughed their ass off when that happened.

Jack in Wilmington
12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Went to the 10:00PM show and all the trekies were there. It was like being at a Star Trek convention. It was like they brought someone back from the dead. Cheering and applause whenever one of the characters delivered their catch phrase.

Also when we went to see Jaws. It was so high tension in that theater. When you left it had rained and everybody was stepping around the puddles. Nobody was going near the water.

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2007, 05:37 AM
We have an Imax theatre in town with a 10-story high screen and back in the 80's they used to show real movies there on the weekends. The entire screen wasn't utilized but the movie still filled about 2/3rds of it. In general it was a memorable movie exerience regardless of the film. But I remember seeing Scarface there and it was so powerful that when it was over my hands were shaking.

I also remember going to the drive-in with my parents when I was a kid. I'd wear my pajamas in the car and Mom would always bring a cooler full of snacks and drinks. My dad drove a courier van and he'd lay out a big piece of foam in the back so that I could go to sleep when I got tired...long before the days of mandatory car seats for kids!

johnny p
12-31-2007, 11:23 AM
I remember my older brother's friend, falling out of his seat....... I don't know if he was being overly theatrical, or if it were genuine, but it seemed genuine to me, and he laughed, and spilled soda all over himself while rolling around on the theater floor, as Clark W. Griswald tore down the hill on his experimentally lubricated sled in Nat'l Lampoon's X-Mass Vacation....... I'm smiling just thinking about it!

thekid
12-31-2007, 10:13 PM

Well I agree with you about Star Wars. The opening scene where the Star cruiser or whatever it was comes across the top of the screen was truly not like anything I had ever seen before or since, especially since SFX have become so much a part of today's movies. I can only compare it to what audiences must have felt years before when watching the color scenes in the Wizard of Oz. Of course the difference between my experience and yours Smokey is that I saw it during its original release.......

I would also mention the LOTR series because I was/am such a big fan of the books and it was amazing for Peter Jackson to pull off such an incredible portrayal of the books. I had gone and seen the Ralph Bakshi animated version back in the late 70's I think. It was the only time I have seen patrons storm a movie theater manager's office,demand a refund and get it too!!

Another memorable experience I had in a movie theater concerned a really bad British film I think called "The Fog" (no not the John Carpenter version). However it was memorable because of the young lady I was with at the time and a virtually empty theater but that is probably best discussed in another type of forum.......... :)

Happy New Year .........