Need help with speakers and reciever...first time poster [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with speakers and reciever...first time poster

Lance27
12-29-2007, 06:41 AM
So..I have tried to research as much as possible..on a budget of course...but really am confused with all the different opinions about everything. I want a system more for music than DVD's so I am looking at a pair of tower speakers and a suitable matching reciever. So Best Buy Canada has the F1 Synergy Klipsch speakers for $299...and was thinking a suitable Yamaha reciever or Denon....I guess 5 channel would be find and something suitable to play my IPOD. What do you guys and gals think?? Any help would be greatly appreciated?? I also noticed Future Shop Canda also has a pair of POLK speakers for $199.00...would these be comparible?

Lance

markw
12-29-2007, 06:54 AM
So..I have tried to research as much as possible..on a budget of course...but really am confused with all the different opinions about everything. I want a system more for music than DVD's so I am looking at a pair of tower speakers and a suitable matching reciever. So Best Buy Canada has the F1 Synergy Klipsch speakers for $299...and was thinking a suitable Yamaha reciever or Denon....I guess 5 channel would be find and something suitable to play my IPOD. What do you guys and gals think?? Any help would be greatly appreciated?? I also noticed Future Shop Canda also has a pair of POLK speakers for $199.00...would these be comparible?

LanceHonestly, I suggest you grab some music CD's you're familiar with and go listen to them. That's the only way you'll find out what you like and dislike. Once you find a musically pleasing set of mains, simply fill in the blanks with the matching center and perhaps surrounds.

Reading others opinions tells you nothing since you don't know their tastes and preferences. You're just polling popularity and you know what they compare opinions to, right?

Mr Peabody
12-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Welcome to AR Lance. Markw is correct you need to do some listening to see what is out there and what strikes you as good.

Klipsch and Polk are not even close. Here's my opinion I find Klipsch offensive, harsh high end that distorts at high power, very poor sound stage/imaging. If you did go with Klipsch I'd recommend the Yamaha as a match. I find Yamaha generally warmer than most receivers and with Klipsch would minimize harshness or listening fatigue. The plus to Klipsch is they are very sensitive, they will play loud without much power and the horns can sound close to the liveliness of a theater . Polk aren't as sensitive and typically decent sounding. You should give a listen to Paradigm who has speakers in your price but they won't be towers. For music a quality bookshelf will be more appreciated than a cheap tower. B&W has nice entry level line as well.

Do you plan to do home theater? You weren't clear about that. If not, I'd recommend buying a integrated amp. Typically, you will get better sound quality. Onkyo's 9555 is getting a lot of praise and the little NAD's or Rotel are pretty good.

With Home Theater you want to be sure what ever speakers you decide on offer a matching center and surrounds for future fill in. The Onkyo 605 has been hot due to it's up to date features at a good price and Onkyo has a good amp section. Denon or Marantz are also popular choices. You need to survey what you plan to hook to the receiver and start doing some comparing to see who offers the features you want. Once you narrow it down then you can go do some listening. I don't typically suggest JVC but they are one of the cheapest receivers and last I looked they offered some unique computer connectivity which you might like, you mentioned mp3. Mp3 can be played through most anything though with a mini to RCA adaptor cable. You also mentioned mp3 and music in the same post, I don't consider them the same thing :)

Lance27
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info....that was what I was kinda hearing that the klipsch were to bright or high. I was kinda thinking surround at first but since I am only renting right now and don't plan on being here for long I thought it would be too complicated to set everything up and didn't want to have to set them up off the walls. I guess I could go with a whole bunch of stands..but limited room and then I have wire running everywhere....no carpet. What about these small Bose systems....2 speakers virtual surround and sub. Best Buy has one refurbished for $399.....but it somehow uses the TV for power. What about just getting one of these...since I have limited space......and then just adding a reg reciever???

Any ideas?? I did listen to the 123 GSX I think that was the model...but it had a Bose reciever...was 1800.00...to much for me...but maybe the next step down?? I don't know....too confusing...not like picking a hockey stick or golf driver...lol

Lance

blackraven
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Whats your budget? I think that most people agree thath all of the speakers you named Klipsch, polk and bose are not that good and that there are many other better sounding speakers available for under $1000 and even under $500 for that matter.

B&W, Paradigm, Epos, Wharfedale, Energy, to name a few. if your on a very tight budget $200-400 then consider the infinity primus line or infinity beta's. Stereophile magazine gives the Primus very good reviews. Don't rule out book shelf speakers as many have better sound then floor standers at a compareable price. This is especially true if you are going to use a sub.

The best advice though, is pick out what sounds the best to you that will fit within your budget, but definitely don't skimp on the speakers to save a few dollars.

I also think that the Onkyo 605 is a good choice for a receiver for what your budget appears to be.

Mr Peabody
12-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular Bose but it sounds like some type of amplified speaker system simillar to a computer set. I don't think that's what you are wanting. If they are amplified they will not work with a receiver.

You can go with a scaled down HT set up, either 2.1 or 3.1, 3.1 being center, L/R and sub. When you set up your receiver you just tell it you don't have surrounds. Many receivers come with an auto speaker set up program where you use a microphone and it uses test tones and sets the levels and sometimes room equalization, depending on which receiver.

I personally would rather have the low end Polk than Bose though. You should go in and do some listening though. Some people really like Klipsch, and even Bose. If Best Buy still carry Athena they stirred up a buzz as being good for a cheap speaker. I don't know anyone with them so I don't know how well they hold up. But for $200 to $300.00 I think enough options have been given to get you started.

Lance27
12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all your input.....I did check out that article on streophile on the Infinity bookshelf speakers and was really impresses...the P150 and P160...which is now the 152 1nd 162 I believe......seems like alot of bang for your dollar. Although for soem reason Future Shop up here in Canada has them $414 and $514...where I think I noticed the 152's for $200 + in the USA,......we are at par now...maybe I will check with Ebay. What do you believe would make a good reciever match for those speakers?

tony340
12-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Lance, if you really want to go hi end on a tight budget, i would recommend u to try the mission range of bookshelf speakers, they are a great deal for the buck, you should easily find models within your budget... If you want to try something a bit more pricey, there is the brilliant Quad 11L which is one of the best speakers i have heard in the price category.. They are beautiful sounding speakers... But then again, thi is my opinion, and like all the other great guys here at AR have told you, it all boils down to your musical tastes and preferences.

As for the Amplifier, i would agree with Peabody, the Onkyo 9555 and some of the Denon and NAD ones are very good for the money..

But you have to check them out for yourself and decide

Good luck mate!

Mr Peabody
12-29-2007, 07:35 PM
How much is in your budget for a receiver? Can you go the Onkyo 605? If not. give a bit more info on what features you need.

blackraven
12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Lance, www.crutchfield.com has the infinity 162's on sale for $99 each. The 152's are also on sale if you are thinking about doing multichannel. Even the primus tower speakers are pretty good and would give you more low end if you are not planning to use a sub.

The yamaha Rx-v661 should be near your budget. Also look at the yamaha HTR line of receivers which are like the Rx series but they are made for stores like best buy and are sold at a lower price but have the same electronics inside.

Lance27
12-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the great website(crutchfield)...my only question is here in Canada they have a separate website.....but don't seem to support that line of speakers.....its all Polk....do you know if I can order the US stuff from here in Torontop?

blackraven
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure but you can give them a call.