What occurs more frequently Plasma 'burn in' or LCD 'binding?' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What occurs more frequently Plasma 'burn in' or LCD 'binding?'

taurus252
12-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Ok I am still on the fence between plasma or an lcd- what happens more frequently a burn in on a plasma or LCD binding ( I am not sure if this is the right term but know i read somewhere that plaid lines sometimes occur on LCD's) Your thoughts?

pixelthis
12-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Ok I am still on the fence between plasma or an lcd- what happens more frequently a burn in on a plasma or LCD binding ( I am not sure if this is the right term but know i read somewhere that plaid lines sometimes occur on LCD's) Your thoughts?
Burn in is a much bigger problem , I have never even heard of "binding"

markw
12-31-2007, 05:47 AM
I gotta say, I've never heard of LCD "binding" either. I'm glad pixie said it first. I was afraid I'd show myself as the only ignorant one here. But, from the lack of response from any others, I'd say we're in good company.

Luvin Da Blues
12-31-2007, 05:52 AM
I was wondering the same. Do you mean Macro-Blocking?????

pixelthis
01-01-2008, 02:11 AM
I gotta say, I've never heard of LCD "binding" either. I'm glad pixie said it first. I was afraid I'd show myself as the only ignorant one here. But, from the lack of response from any others, I'd say we're in good company.

Nothing wrong with not knowing something, one reason I am on this board is to learn stuff.
And after decades of messing with this stuff I am still surprized on occasion, even tho I have a brain the size of a planet. AND AM A BIG FAN OF dOUGLAS ADAMS
You know, if you started reading the library of congress it would take you a lifetime to get ten feet:1:

markw
01-01-2008, 07:18 AM
You know, if you started reading the library of congress it would take you a lifetime to get ten feet:1:I have enough trouble walking with just two.

Happy New Year Y'all.

pixelthis
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I have enough trouble walking with just two.

Happy New Year Y'all.

AND you'd never be able to get them all in your mouth

Hope you have a McIntosh kinda year:1:

f0rge
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
can you even call burn-in a problem anymore? what would you be doing that would even cause burn-in? i play a ton of video games and i've never experienced anything remotely like burn-in on my plasma or the RPTV i had before.

unless you leave your TV on 24/7 with a stock ticker scrolling across the bottom i consider this a non-issue with the current generation of any television.

pixelthis
01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
can you even call burn-in a problem anymore? what would you be doing that would even cause burn-in? i play a ton of video games and i've never experienced anything remotely like burn-in on my plasma or the RPTV i had before.

unless you leave your TV on 24/7 with a stock ticker scrolling across the bottom i consider this a non-issue with the current generation of any television.

The nature of LCD is such that it cant happen at all, its impossible.
Plasma has a serious burn-in problem, so much that makers ahve come up with several schemes to cure the problem, which decreases in severity as the set ages.
But it is a problem.
the only other display device with burn in issues is CRT, which is all but extinct.
A friend gave me a 15 " dell monitor, practically brand new, for my little server project
I have going, was taking it to the Salvation army because he couldnt give it away

Rich-n-Texas
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I found the best deal on a UK site called _________________ which provides you good support on CD duplication. It has an experience of ten years in CD Replication who are offering a 1000 with jewel cases for about £500, full color Surface Printing, booklets and front & rear inserts. I’m sure this site will make your day. All the best!
We have a spammer here!!! Just ask Zeeinoff. :rolleyes:

markw
01-09-2008, 08:45 AM
We have a spammer here!!! Just ask Zeeinoff. :rolleyes:Just click on the little black "I" in the red triangle in the lower left corner of the offending post. You know, right next to where ya give/take rep points.

This'll give JM something to do.

GMichael
01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
, even tho I have a brain the size of a planet.

OK, from now on I'm calling you Marvin. This explains all the doom and gloom now.
Can you pick up that piece of paper?

Rich-n-Texas
01-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Just click on the little black "I" in the red triangle in the lower left corner of the offending post. You know, right next to where ya give/take rep points.

This'll give JM something to do.
Thank you for the tutorial Mark. I've already completed that chapter though and even passed the quiz at the end. :)

kelsci
01-13-2008, 09:35 AM
My brother recently purchased the Samsung plasma 5054. As nice as a tv set it is, it already has burn in problems and those burn in problems happen very rapidly. He is so pissed off that he did not buy a LCD. I noticed in looking up other plasma brands such as Pansonic and Pioneer that they do warn in their owner manuals of burn in. When spending in some cases like the Pioneer, thousands of dollars, I would not think that an owner would want that problem. The Samsung in its sales literature indicated no burn in worries, yet the manual said otherwise. They do have a sweep that does fight against this after a period of time but that is no real answer.

In LCD issues I gave not heard the word "binding". I have heard of a "cloudy" issue with some Sony's, I think the V series lcds. There were some motion issues that have been addressed by this 120mz something that newer sets have. I read somewhere the response time is better when it is lower. Some sets had 8ms; one I saw had 6ms, and the Sharp Aquos models have 4ms.

pixelthis
01-14-2008, 12:34 AM
My brother recently purchased the Samsung plasma 5054. As nice as a tv set it is, it already has burn in problems and those burn in problems happen very rapidly. He is so pissed off that he did not buy a LCD. I noticed in looking up other plasma brands such as Pansonic and Pioneer that they do warn in their owner manuals of burn in. When spending in some cases like the Pioneer, thousands of dollars, I would not think that an owner would want that problem. The Samsung in its sales literature indicated no burn in worries, yet the manual said otherwise. They do have a sweep that does fight against this after a period of time but that is no real answer.

In LCD issues I gave not heard the word "binding". I have heard of a "cloudy" issue with some Sony's, I think the V series lcds. There were some motion issues that have been addressed by this 120mz something that newer sets have. I read somewhere the response time is better when it is lower. Some sets had 8ms; one I saw had 6ms, and the Sharp Aquos models have 4ms.

This is a little pet peeve of mine. Plasma burn in is so serious that they have created circuits to minimize the problem.
The inherent nature of a Plasma will lead to burn in if you're not very carefull.
I tend to be thought of as an LCD fanboy, so I dont say much, but LCD has none of these problems, they last ten years longer, are lighter and way more user friendly.
The only thing really going for plasma is the cool name.
Nobody in his right mind (or rich) would buy a plasma if they knew the truth, so companies dont tell the truth, that solves that problem:1:

kelsci
01-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Pixelthis; Yesterday, I was on QVC. There "special value" for the day were two Sharp LCDS. The Sharp Rep. indicated that there were no burn in problems with Sharp LCDS. You could leave it on the same channel for a year and would not have any burn in from logos, etc. Look at the CES show that ended last week. Plenty of new plasmas are coming out for 2008. The good thing is in LCDs that more will receive the 120hz anti-judder thingy under various different thingy names on many of the newer LCDs.

nightflier
01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
LCD has none of these problems, they last ten years longer, are lighter and way more user friendly.

Not to mention that they run cooler and consume a whole lot less energy.

Plasmas have one other thing going for them: they are brighter and side-by-side, I think the Plasmas look better. They are also available in more and larger sizes. The only thing that keeps me from buying one is the heat/energy thing so I'll be going LCD. Panasonic and Pioneer did have some amazing new product announcements at CES, though, with Plasmas that where thinner, lighter, and more energy efficient. That said, there wasn't much talk about burn-in at their booths....

zepman1
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
By "LCD binding" are you referring to when pixels become frozen and do not change color as they should? It is fairly common on LCD's for a couple random pixels to become frozen in one color or another permanantly, I think. I have a 50" LCD, going on 3 years old now, and there are maybe 2 frozen pixels on the whoel screen. They are not noticeable at all while watching TV but can notice them if you look at a dark scene, from very close up.

I would be much more concerned with plasma burn in and its relatively short life span. To me, its a slam dunk - go with the LCD.

Groundbeef
01-28-2008, 09:11 AM
5 years ago, this topic would have merited some discussion.

Now, not so much. Unless you leave your TV on the same channel for days at a time, its not going to be an issue for anything Plasma, LCD or otherwise.

I have 2 plasma, the oldest being 4 years, and I have nada for any "burn in". I watch TV, and play video games with nary a worry. As long as you are switching channels every so often, or changing games, you shouldn't have ANY problems.

Power consumption is a different story however, Plasma does use more juice. But I prefer the picture.

I'm sure pixel will disagree, but his milage always varies from the norm.

kelsci
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Groundbeef; My brother does not leave his tv on that long on one particular station. He is still seeing burn in and is attempting to use the sweep program that Samsung has to wipe it out. Why you are not experiencing burn in as in issue is something I cannot say. I understand your explanations but perhaps you are not looking close enough or perhaps the amount of burn in your sets might be minimal. To tell you the truth, my brother's burn in is something to my eyes that is quite minimal at best but seems to bother him more..Personally, I like the Samsung's 5054 high def performance on good 1080 i broadcasts and upconverted dvds and if I had the bread, I would take it off my brother's hands and let him buy the LCD model. I could definitely live with this plasma set.

Groundbeef
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Groundbeef; My brother does not leave his tv on that long on one particular station. He is still seeing burn in and is attempting to use the sweep program that Samsung has to wipe it out. Why you are not experiencing burn in as in issue is something I cannot say. I understand your explanations but perhaps you are not looking close enough or perhaps the amount of burn in your sets might be minimal. To tell you the truth, my brother's burn in is something to my eyes that is quite minimal at best but seems to bother him more..Personally, I like the Samsung's 5054 high def performance on good 1080 i broadcasts and upconverted dvds and if I had the bread, I would take it off my brother's hands and let him buy the LCD model. I could definitely live with this plasma set.

Well, I'm certainly not suggesting that it can't happen, but it certainly doesn't happen nearly as much as it once did.

How old is your bro's tv?

And we only watch tv about 1-2 hours a day max. It's never on unless we are watching it either. And we frequently change source, DVD, TV, SAT, so we don't really have a logo burn in.

Also, depending upon mfg, burn in can be more or less of an issue. My Pioneer specifically states in the manual that they use advanced technology to combat burn in, such as screen shifting and other mechanisms. Maybe VIZO and some of the less brands dont?

pixelthis
01-29-2008, 02:10 AM

I will answer a question of yours, please answer a question of mine.
On QVC these sets they were selling, were they plasma? Then why the LCD name?
Plasma DOES have burn in problems, is heavier, is an energy hog, and you cant mount it yourself, need a pro, because if it falls and hits the floor...
oh, and if the gas leaks out its dead, and it will last half as long as an LCD no matter what.
So the price for a 1000$ plasma as opposed to an 1000 LCD is actually twice as much.
As for the pixel "hanging" its actually DEAD.
Its called a "bright pixel" (because its bright)
When a lcd pixel is "off" light goes through, there is a filter giving it color(it doesnt have its own color).
When its on light doesnt pass, giving a dark area, no matter how on it is some light leaks through, so the black level will not be as good as a CRT, same is true for a lot of displays, however.
Anyway when a pixel in a LCD set dies, light passes through all of the time, hence a "bright" pixel.
My set has a "zero bright pixel" guarentee, get one pixel, ever, and you get a new set.
The way they offer this is they run a panel for awhile before they put it in a set, if a pixel doesnt die in awhile it probably wont.
I actually wish one would die, I COULD GET A NEW SET!