Anyone find after Xmas sales figures for BR & HD-DVD?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find after Xmas sales figures for BR & HD-DVD??

Mr Peabody
12-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I saw a financial report the day after Christmas which stated Amazon reported selling enough HD-DVD players to cover a football field. I wonder if the report correctly used "HD-DVD" or did this figure include both formats. This led me to wonder how each did over the much anticipated Christmas boom.

It seems that the HD software prices are dropping and most everyone is running sales on them. Maybe sales weren't as good as expected.

drseid
12-29-2007, 06:43 AM
I saw a financial report the day after Christmas which stated Amazon reported selling enough HD-DVD players to cover a football field. I wonder if the report correctly used "HD-DVD" or did this figure include both formats. This led me to wonder how each did over the much anticipated Christmas boom.

It seems that the HD software prices are dropping and most everyone is running sales on them. Maybe sales weren't as good as expected.

I think they meant high def. as in high defininition players and *not* HD DVD specifically. Later in the same article it implies they were referring to players of both formats.

---Dave

Mr Peabody
12-29-2007, 06:52 AM
I saw this on TV. I thought that might be the case though. The retail season didn't show much interesting for either camp, this is shaping up to keep dragging on.

It is a bit alarming at all the mistakes Warner has been making with BR discs though.

drseid
12-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I saw this on TV. I thought that might be the case though. The retail season didn't show much interesting for either camp, this is shaping up to keep dragging on.

It is a bit alarming at all the mistakes Warner has been making with BR discs though.

Agreed on the Warner mistakes... It is very unlike them, as they have been one of the better studios at "getting it right." Sad to see them ending the year on such a disappointing note.

---Dave

bubslewis
12-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Bought a dvd for the granddaughter on the first day it came out right before Christmas.... UNDERDOG, by Walt Disney. In the numerous previews that are always there prior to the title movie, they specifically mentioned BlueRay numerous times and with numerous movies ( all Disney movies of course).

This is the first time I've seen BlueRay advertised like this (maybe I don't watch enough TV). If I'm a typical American viewer, this might be my first concrete intro into hi def dvds. After all, if Disney likes it, it has to be good.

On the other hand, I've seen very little from the other hi def competitor's format. Me thinks BlueRay is winning the war. Yes?

Bill

blackraven
12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey bubslewis, how do you like your B&K amp? I was thinking about getting the B&K reference series 200.2 amp to drive my 1.6QR's. 375wpc vs the outlaw audio monoblocks with XLR inputs at 300wpc.

bubslewis
12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey bubslewis, how do you like your B&K amp? I was thinking about getting the B&K reference series 200.2 amp to drive my 1.6QR's. 375wpc vs the outlaw audio monoblocks with XLR inputs at 300wpc.

So far the B&K has been just fine. I was a little concerned when I bought it that 125W into 8 ohms/185W into 4 ohms might be a little weak for the Maggie 1.6's. B&K's, however, do pretty well in maintaining ample current in their operation and that is what the Maggies crave.

If my B&K 125.2 amp works well, you can only do better if you go with a B&K 200. I don't listen to music at ear shattering levels, but one might describe my preferred listening level as "healthy loud".

Let me know whay you think if you go with The B&K 200.

Bill