recommendations for ipod earphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for ipod earphones

qt11
12-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Hey guys...

Please could you help...

I'm looking for a pair of good quailty earphones for use with and ipod...

I've breifly looks at senn's PMX200 however, after reading a few reviews it appears that they are not too good...

I'm looking for earphones which have the neckband, which are comfortable, and sound good...

I usually listen to the ipod as i'm falling asleep, so the comfy and snug would be ideal....

I've had several pairs of in-ear phones and all of them have been very uncomfortable, some have been painful, so i'm looking for something similar to the PMX200 in design...

Budget isn't really an issue, however as they are for the ipod, i'm guessing top of the range earphones aren't really required....

What can you guys recommend ??

Cheers
A

bubbagump
12-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Excellent sound quality, inline volume control and very comfortable. Best of all, you can find them for 10-15 bucks. They won't win you respect in audiophile circles but after trying at least half a dozen earbuds, these strike the best balance between cost and performance I've found. Smooth highs and great bass response. In fairness to the much more expensive models, I've never used earbuds more than about 50 bucks per pair. I tend to snag earbuds enough to ruin them. With the Sony's, it's no great financial loss. I usually buy two pairs at a time. If you're looking for something to use in bed, try an inexpensive pillow speaker. I have this one from cc crane. http://www.ccrane.com/radios/radio-accessories/softspeaker-pillow-speaker.aspx

audio_dude
01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
ew...20 bucks for that? They've got the same quality stuff at the dollar store...

get some nice over ears headphones. Sennheiser makes some modestly priced and decent sounding ones. They're all designed relatively similar, just the more expensive you go, you get better comfort and sound quality.

noddin0ff
01-03-2008, 04:19 AM
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/

Try looking here for some headphone ideas. Like audio_dude, my preference would be some nice over the ears (aka full size or circumaural) .

notphilmitchell
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I've got a pair of Shure E2Cs (earbuds) that I don't like at all and spent something like $75 on them. I guess I complained about them sufficiently because my wife bought me a pair of Grado iGrado headphones. I think they sound very good (not as good as my Grado SR80s but those are too big and dorky looking to use as portables) and are quite comfortable and have a neckband. They are about $50 (here's one source: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GRIGR ) . The only thing I don't like about them is the look of the chrome grilles on the earpieces.

captjamo
02-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Go to Grado.com. They have a new pair that is about 70.00 bucks designed for IPOD use. I have the new Sure SE420's in-ear buds (lot of trouble and uncomfortable after 2 hours) but unbelievable sound. But if you want some portable light weight on ear type. Get the Grado's (best there is period) or Sennheiser PX-100's or 497's i think it is. All are around 60.00 bucks and review well and will serve well.

jcmanic
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
go to www.head-fi.com and ask this question. let speaker dudes be speaker dudes, and leave the headphone questions to the pros.

raychristenpaul
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Over 2 years period, I owned 4 set of inear h/phones......my friends thinks I am going nuts. Alas, I am happy with Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro. Goes well with my i-pod but the songs are at least about 200 kbs. Then, u will hear things that u will never hear on ordinary h/phones. Higher kbs the better.

Can't say if it's comfortable to go to bed with but on the move - it's perfect.

Sounds are clear n crisp, deep bass - overall outstanding - no matter what songs u listen to. Burnt my pocket......but worth it.

f0rge
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
i have some bose in-ears that i got for free from work, yeah i know, "eww bose" lol

they arent "great", but for ipod they are good enough, and they are surprising comfortable because you dont have to cram them down your ear canal, they sit where a normal headphone would fit, except they have a nice silicone base for comfort.

they're pretty cheap at under $100 too.

Fergymunster
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I recently got the Yuin PK2 earphones and they are great.They bettered my Sennheiser PX-100"s. Go to www.head-direct.com and look at all the choices they have there.

madison
08-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Try SE420

makruiten
08-29-2008, 02:51 AM
The best value for the money you can find as far as I know is the Koss KSC75. Don't be fooled by it's looks and price. These headphones perform better than most other phones up to $100. I compared them directly with some Sennheisers costing a couple of times more and were better in the midrange, bass and highs. Don't remember which Sennheisers though. The bass is strong, deep and not booming. Mids are clear and detailed and highs are excellent too. I know what I'm talking about, I own HD600's and know what good sound sounds like. The Koss's are amazing for the price (only $19.99).

At least give them a trie. It won't break your bank account.