Anyone diggin' Tal Wilkenfeld? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone diggin' Tal Wilkenfeld?

Hyfi
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Crossroads 2007 has been airing on the OTA PBS HD channels lately. What a great 2 hours of jamming with some all time greats.

As usual, John Mayer played something nice. Derek Trucks is the closest thing to Duane I have ever heard....just love that slide! Bill Murray was his usual nut job, Steve Winwood was awesome playing Blind Faith through Traffic followed up by Buddy Guy himself. Lots of other greats here too but the one act that stuck out for me was Jeff Beck w/ Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. She is a 21 y/o Aussie that can hang with the top bassists. (Lots of Youtube vids) She also put out her own album not too long ago called Transformation that is more on the jazz-fusion line but still with some tradition. Tal recorded her first album, where she composed, arranged, produced and played bass on 7 intricate tracks with Wayne Krantz on guitar, Keith Carlock on drums, Geoffrey Keezer on Piano, and Seamus Blake on tenor sax.

Good 320kb MP3s available via link from this page http://jazzrockz.blogspot.com/2007/09/tal-wilkenfeld-transformation-2007320kb.html

Oh yeah, since FA totally dropped the ball, a shameless plug for an old RRer's birthday, me. I turned 46 today but I'm still stuck in the late 70s.

Hyfi

bobsticks
12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Happy Birthday!!

...and thanks for the rec. I was eyeing this the other day and now the trigger I shall pulleth.

Luvin Da Blues
12-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I was completely blown away by with her performance with Jeff Beck also. I've been meaning to look her up...thanks for the link.

Hyfi
12-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I have already downloaded the two files and burned it to CD as cda files. Not the quality of a true CD but sound is pretty good. It's the playing that makes it well worth a listen. Hard to describe but Tribal Tech comes to mind with Sax. She plays a little like Jeff Berlin and several others.

Since I already have this burnt, if anyone would like a sample edition, let me know.

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Oh yeah, since FA totally dropped the ball, a shameless plug for an old RRer's birthday, me. I turned 46 today but I'm still stuck in the late 70s.

Sorry Birthday Guy. Were you sitting around hitting refresh all day just waiting for me to mention it? I did remember you last night but I had powered down my computer by then and just couldn't be bothered to start it back up. If you check the new threads you'll see that I posted some Happy Birthday wishes first thing this morning (before I even read this thread). I hope it was a good day for you! Cheers!

Mr MidFi
12-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I saw that same thing on PBS and was instantly blown away. She looks like one of my daughter's 14-year-old friends...and she plays like a mutherfarking riot!

And about FA...she's just gearing up for her own 'special day' in about a week or so. How many candles this time, sweetie?

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I saw that same thing on PBS and was instantly blown away. She looks like one of my daughter's 14-year-old friends...and she plays like a mutherfarking riot!

And about FA...she's just gearing up for her own 'special day' in about a week or so.

So sweet of you to remember. Oh yeah, I guess it's easy for you to remember, eh? :smilewinkgrin:

How many candles this time, sweetie?

Same number as your jacket size darling. ;)

Hyfi
12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Were you sitting around hitting refresh all day just waiting for me to mention it?

Thats about the size of it. When I wore out my F5 key, I posted it myself.

Hey, about that little house, now I know why it was too hot upstairs to chat!!!

Davey
12-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Yea, good call. I remember looking her up awhile back after I saw the Jeff Beck part, which was super easy to find info on because she has blown away so many people with her playing and her attitude at that show. Pretty cute too, with the guitar nestled there up high. To be honest, a lot of the performances are hard for me to sit through, just doesn't interest me that much anymore even though some outstanding playing, but Beck's set was great.

3-LockBox
12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
She's almost too adorable to be real, but there she is. She just young enough not to be intimidated playing with Jeff Beck.