newbie to home recording studio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie to home recording studio

tibiaornottibia
12-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Somewhat musically inclined/proficient, technologically deficient. I have a Yamaha MO6, and am wanting more versatility/simplicity for laying down tracks. Steinberg Cubase Sequel looks like it was designed for people like me? However, it sounds as though the $100 for the software is the tip of the $iceberg$. Can understand that I need MIDI and/or USB hookups, but sounds like I need some sort of interface as well, which puts me in the $250 range. True? And is that the ideal setup for what I have, or are there additional $ involved to get me going? Thanks.

Modernaire
01-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I personally have found that computer music production software gets in the way of recording. Menu's, OS issues, USB hookups, software learning curves, etc, etc. Much like iPods with all the menu's and scrolling, its all rather un-musical.

I use a basic 8 track Yamaha MD8. To the point, records, punches in, edits and so on, no computer screen. For the lack of space i do use a laptop as strictly a sampler and minimize the steps, just launch and start hitting my drum pads triggering some electronic samples. The less computing I do, the more time I have to actually create a few musical ideas, or even practice.

Just my 4 cents.

Monkey Mouse
01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Steinberg Sequel is a loop based program that cannot use external sounds to make tracks. It is good for a beginner, but not someone with any level of creativity. Then again the same can be said for Reason and yet some big producers make tracks with that all in one suite.

I use Live 6 (live 7 just came out) and it is pretty robust - they even offer a "lite" version that runs about $150. I also use Soundforge, which is a powerful stereo editor that has great processing capabilities, but won't do 8 channels unless you get the newest version (SF9), which is buggy.

The interface is key - you can get something decent for $175, but it won't have much I/O and will be in the computer compared to higher end units that have the "breakout" box seperated from your PC.

Paul