analog newbie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : analog newbie

03-01-2004, 09:46 PM
I have been thinking about getting into vinyl.
My dad has an old technics direct drive turn table that he doesnt use anymore.
You think it would still work ok?

Can someone tell me what's the difference between mm and mc? and how can you tell?
Also, what does a regular needle supposed to look like? I have a hunch that mine is worn out and dull.

Thanks a bunch

Sealed
03-02-2004, 02:37 AM
I have been thinking about getting into vinyl.
My dad has an old technics direct drive turn table that he doesnt use anymore.
You think it would still work ok?

--the only way to be sure is to plug it in and try it.

Can someone tell me what's the difference between mm and mc? and how can you tell?
Also, what does a regular needle supposed to look like? I have a hunch that mine is worn out and dull.

Probably. You can spend about $40 on a Grado or AKG cartridge replacement.

Here is a good place for tons of answers.

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Phono/Phono_Articles/

Thanks a bunch

03-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I did try it out but it doesnt go anywhere! it just stays in the same place forever and makes no sound. Sometimes it even skates forward...then back...then forward...Guess its ruining that LP at the same time. Lucky I used one that I'll probably never listen to anyways. I adjusted the counterbalance and antiskate but that didnt do anything. Stopped the skating a little bit but still no sound. It worked 10 years ago...maybe its screwed up now -.- but how would I know?

Sealed
03-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Sounds like it is hosed. That old deck you have sounds like it needs serious work.

If you want to get into Vinyl, you can find a variety of beginner type setups for cheap.

Decks like technics slp-1200, Yamaha, garrard and others are not much cash. They won't blow you away necessarily, but they should be very pleasent to listen to.

DMK
03-02-2004, 03:48 PM
I did try it out but it doesnt go anywhere! it just stays in the same place forever and makes no sound. Sometimes it even skates forward...then back...then forward...Guess its ruining that LP at the same time. Lucky I used one that I'll probably never listen to anyways. I adjusted the counterbalance and antiskate but that didnt do anything. Stopped the skating a little bit but still no sound. It worked 10 years ago...maybe its screwed up now -.- but how would I know?

Sounds like you have a cantilever but no stylus! Or maybe not even a cantilever!

Is there a small tube coming out of the cartridge body that's attached to the tonearm? If you tap the underneath side of the front end of the tonearm, do you hear a popping sound from your speakers? It sounds to me like you just need a new cartridge. Is there a Technics dealer in your area? Ask him if your model needs a standard mount or a P-mount cartridge and then pick up a new one. Go as cheap as you can for starters. It might be a good idea to have your dealer set it up for you also. If there's no dealer, let us know and we'll see where we go from there.

03-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Ok, so i get some sound now...
Except that its scratchy and fuzzy and just sounds TERRIBLE!!
I took the cartridge off to check it out. The stylus looks really short and blunt.
I think somewhere down the road it broke off or something.

You guys know where I can get another stylus? Its a technics SL-D2 by the way.

Sealed
03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
http://www.styli.co.nz/stylus-548.html?stylicart=a1bff4c5f0737d2303fa6828c322428 c

Believe it or not...Radio Shack might have an equivalent.

03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
btw, how do you know if the cartridge is mm or mc?

Sealed
03-03-2004, 09:51 PM
They will know by the model number. They can cross-reference.