How Much Power ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How Much Power ??

MudFlap
12-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Gents -- I'm new to this Forum - and have a question about matching up a new Receiver (2 channel) or Int. Amp with my existing speakers.

I currently have a pair of Canton Ergo 92 DC floorstanding speakers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Specifications are as follows:
------------------
Prinzip 3-Wege Principle 3-Way
Bassreflexsystem Bass reflex system
Nenn-/Musikbelastbarkeit 170/300 Watt Nenn-/Musikbelastbarkeit 170/300 watts
Wirkungsgrad (1 Watt/1m) 88.3 dB Sensitivity (1 Watt/1m) 88.3 dB
Übertragungsbereich 20...30.000 Hz Response 20th .. 30,000 Hz
Übergangsfrequenz300/3.500 Hz Übergangsfrequenz300/3.500 Hz
Tieftonchassis 2 x 200 mm, Polypropylen Membran Tieftonchassis 2 x 200 mm, polypropylene membrane
Mitteltonchassis 180 mm Mitteltonchassis 180 mm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(excuse the German - It's all I could dig up on line)

Right now I have a Denon Receiver and an Integra Receiver - both are AV 5.1 -

I'm only interested in good old 2 channel sound - this is a music system only.

Q -- How much power do I really need to drive these speakers - the Denon won't cut it.

I'm looking at the Outlaw RR2150 Receiver and the NAD C-372 integrated Amp - 100 & 150 watts respectively.

I'm looking to keep the purchase at below $1000 and am open to some other ideas about Receivers/amps from other product lines. I listen to everything from Rock, Jazz, Classical, Techno, ABR (anything but rap).

Thank You in advance for any suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Thanx

mf

Slippers On
12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Mudflap,

Your guideline obviously is the Sensitivity of your speakers 88.3 dB.

You mention you are interested only in 2 channel:17:

Forget any 5.1.

Get yourself into Stereo Amps!!

I'm not familiar with your speakers but I'll bet a nice 'tube' - 'valve' - amp of 10 Watts would make them sing sweet.

If you want transistor amps then aim for 100wats per channel.

Forget about 5.1 if you want stereo.

Slippers On

MudFlap
12-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the reply --- Stereo Amps? ....meaning .. separates??

Mono Amps? I was looking at Outlaws 200 wpc mono amps --- and also considering Tube amps from Jolida or Vincent --- any experience there??

There's just too many great choices out there --

It's a nice problem to have.........

mf

Mr Peabody
12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I haven't heard Outlaw but those ought to do the job and sound good paired with a capable preamp.

88dB is an average range of sensitivity and as long as your impedance is relatively stable your choices are wide open. Also take into consideration your room size. You may want a large power amp if the room is large. The Outlaw monoblocks should accomodate most anything you had in mind.

MudFlap
12-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Peabody --- thanks for the post. I just don't want to under power the speakers and the size of the room can change as I tend to move to different addresses like a human pinball.

I might go with the Outlaw Monos.... good reviews and they have balanced inputs.

That takes me to preamps..... that's a whole differnet discussion (sorta).

maybe Parasound??

thanks again -- I appreciate the time you took to post.

mf

basite
12-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Peabody --- thanks for the post. I just don't want to under power the speakers and the size of the room can change as I tend to move to different addresses like a human pinball.

I might go with the Outlaw Monos.... good reviews and they have balanced inputs.

That takes me to preamps..... that's a whole differnet discussion (sorta).

maybe Parasound??

thanks again -- I appreciate the time you took to post.

mf

parasound's really good given their price, If you can, also check out their entry poweramp (the A23, lot's of muscles and good sound...)

oh, and Welcome to AR :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't know that much about Outlaw but I like keeping with the same brand pre and power, in most instances you get better synergy that way.

MudFlap
12-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Same brand for Pre and Power?

Makes Sense... please remember that most of you folks have forgotten more about Audio than I'll ever know.

anyway... Outlaw doesn't carry a 2 channel pre, only hT preamps

I still like what I read on the Outlaw RR2150 - 2 channel receiver - nice reviews , I'm just not sure 100 wpc is enough. I'm sure it is - I just don't want to come up short.

I have an Integra 5.1 receiver that is not musical - It's cool for watching a DVD or two, but for listening to music-- no way.

thanks

mf

blackraven
12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Check out the Musichall Maven receiver 100wpc at www.musichallaudio.com or the Cambridge audio 740A and 840A integrated amps at 100 and 120wpc. All three can be found at www.spearitsound.com The Maven is a beast of a receiver and weighs 43lbs.
I have some music hall and cambridge equipment and they are very well made.
The outlaw receiver you are looking at is very good for the price and has plenty of power and puts out more power than its rated for.

Mr Peabody
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Spearitsound currently has a pair of used Marantz monoblocks, 125 watts, $380.00 for the pair. I also noticed they still have a used Krell 300i for $1,150.00 you might see if they'd take less, this would be your ultimate choice at 150 watts per channel of Krell power. I had one of these and it's rated at 150 watts but the power seemed endless, you'll give up before it does. True balanced circuitry with Class A preamp. One set of XLR inputs. Theater Through feature if you wanted to use the power section for the mains in a HT set up. This would be a nice building block for a 2 channel system. These guys are also great to do business with. Jack is good about answering email questions and giving you straight talk. There is also a Jolida tube integrated for around $850.00 if you wanted to be adventurous and try tubes. But for the money you won't find anything as good or powerful than this 300i.

MudFlap
12-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. It's truely appreciated. I've bookmarked the suggested sites and will take a long look at the suggestions - thanks again.

mf

MudFlap
12-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks again to everyone that's posted - it's been a huge help.

I really like the looks of the Music Hall Maven.... this could be the hot tip.

The Nad C372 vs. The Music Hall Maven

.....Any ideas or how these two compare in the real world. I've read the specs on each, and both look to be worthwhile. I've heard the NAD but not the Maven.

thanx again for the solid advice.

mf

blackraven
12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Go with the Maven, the reviews are very good and it just looks great! You cant go wrong with either one though. I just love the look of Music Hall equipment, Also you can email Roy Hall the founder of music hall and he usually emails you back that same night.

MudFlap
12-28-2007, 08:00 AM
The Maven it is.

Thanks to everyone who posted of this thread - I really appreciate it.

I had heard of Music Hall and the Maven but not much else.

It's always great to support and company that seems to have a personnal investment in their product line.

Through these Forums I've also found a great resource for interconnects and speaker cable.

You guys Rock.

Thanks Again,

mf